inexpensive bypass setup.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, I though the Amsoil was easiest to install and maintain...simple spin on/off filter good for 20k.

I bought an old "kit" off eBay for $50 with 2 filters...bought a bunch of 1/4" hydraulic hose for $20 (over 50 feet)...and bought the return fitting from Amsoil. I also installed a cooler on the return line...

On my pickup, I mounted the filter on a bed crossmember (way in the back, in front of the rear tire)...with a 1/16" orifice, I get 1qt/min.

As it was explained to me, the Amsoil EaBP filters are good to 2 micron and will plug off when they become full of dirt (if you ever ran too long)...they will not bypass...

steved

"return fitting from Amsoil",is this a special part you need?what part no. is for the amsoil part that holds the filter? do i need to worry about the orifice size?

how will i know what is best for my setup,if i don't ask and write in, instead of going by what others use for their setups? most use them for diesel applications.

What's your annual mileage, 66? What's you personal preference (spin-on, "don't want to touch it for a year", etc...etc.)

There's a few things you have to consider before you pluck down your money. There's not much advantage to the cheaper setups (the Wix style bypass filters) if you change them out too often and end up changing your oil at the same interval as before.

Amsoil is (probably, imo) the absolute best spin-on bypass filter ..but it's expensive. It would not be wise to buy it if you can't leave it on a very long time.

No matter what setup I went with, if I had it all to do over (and I'm assembling everything right now) is that I would use a Permacool sandwich and then plumb it to a dual filter setup (either Amsoil's or a Permacool setup to use the Wix bypass filters) and plumb it to return to the sandwich. In most cases you could probably get full flow after warm up ..and if you don't ...who cares.. the Permacool will maintain 2psid to drive oil through the bypass filters. Run something like a EOA filter below the sandwich.

I didn't mean you should not ask questions in a forum like this, I just meant that for basic answers to some of your questions, like what is the "return fitting from Amsoil" you should search first rather than expect people to repeat information recently provided in other threads.

i thought the "return fitting from Amsoil" was a special type of fitting that maybe only they sold,or is this a common part?

The conclusion on another thread was that no one knows who else sells that fitting as a stand-alone part. The Amsoil price for the part is reasonable (IMO), but if you buy it by itself, shipping may seem exhorbitant. I bought mine along with a larger order, so shipping was negligible.

Quote:

What's your annual mileage, 66? What's you personal preference (spin-on, "don't want to touch it for a year", etc...etc.)

(the Wix style bypass filters) if you change them out too often and end up changing your oil at the same interval as before.

so what is the wix part no or the napa equivelant? what about the amsoil? all spin on types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back