India's first homegrown aircraft carrier

Soon being years or a couple decades max - it won't last forever. Your correct in the US is the only one that can do it globally, but what is the incentive for the US to continue to do it? There is no cold war to fight. We don't need middle east Oil? Our trade is only 10% of total GDP and almost half of that is Nafta, so the "economic" interests aren't that great, and we can defend our own merchant marine going to countries we want to without having to pay to defend everyone else's.

Its not a matter of capability, its a matter that the US is still defending an old system that benefits others more than it benefits us. We have fewer soldiers stationed abroad than any time since before WW2. The Navy footprint will come next.
It is becoming way too costly.

It's hard to take a country seriously when all they have is ski jump aircraft carriers. Full catapult or nothing.

this. an aircraft carrier is really expensive to build, maintain, operate, defend, lose and replace.

i’m no naval strategist and my humble naval service was spent sitting in locked rooms ashore looking at classified photos of soviet stuff or writing papers. i recall being told that an aircraft carrier is a great boxer with a glass jaw. what i thought were well-reasoned appraisals back then informed that, in a hot war with the ussr, an aircraft carrier in the north atlantic would be lucky to launch one, just maybe two, air strikes before being put out of action. i surmise that the next conventional war (god forbid) will demonstrate if the value of today’s large-deck aircraft carriers will evaporate as the value of battleships did by 1945.

there are others here with far more informed opinions than mine.
You are singing my tune. Aircraft carriers are the WWII Battleship. Our carriers and planes are valued close to 200 Billion. These carriers have a big bullseye painted on them. And 5,000 men per carrier?? Insane.

I love Fast attack subs. The newer class Block IV will carry 40 Tomahawks each. Air Dominance is harder and harder to achieve bc of anti-aircraft systems. But we'll have to dream on. The more toys the Navy gets the the more they will continue to get.

You are singing my tune. Aircraft carriers are the WWII Battleship. Our carriers and planes are valued close to 200 Billion. These carriers have a big bullseye painted on them. And 5,000 men per carrier?? Insane.

I love Fast attack subs. The newer class Block IV will carry 40 Tomahawks each. Air Dominance is harder and harder to achieve bc of anti-aircraft systems. But we'll have to dream on. The more toys the Navy gets the the more they will continue to get.
There is a psychological aspect to an air craft carrier sitting off the coast of some banana republic implying to a dictator to think twice before he does anything he may regret....can't really get that affect by a submerged submarine.

Carriers are powerful and expensive. We can send destroyers and cruisers anywhere but wherever a carrier goes there is the carrier group that goes along for defense and supply.

We seem to keep building bigger and bigger carriers while everyone else is going smaller 🧐

We seem to keep building bigger and bigger carriers while everyone else is going smaller 🧐
We have a large defense budget and are doing both. The new Constellation class frigate, light amphibious warship, LUSV, etc. The Marine Corp is ditching tanks, etc. We also actually do have smaller carriers of a sort (see LHA 6) which is basically the same displacement as this Indian ship.

Carriers present unique challenges both in terms of how to defend them, and in terms of what they require of the enemy. Having to defend them is a good problem to have 😁

jeff

There is a psychological aspect to an air craft carrier sitting off the coast of some banana republic implying to a dictator to think twice before he does anything he may regret....can't really get that affect by a submerged submarine.
true except red china is no banana republic. gunboat diplomacy was just that, not ship of the line, capital ship diplomacy that was employed to keep the peace with third-rate powers.

a smaller, lha-sized, aircraft carrier with a ski ramp, embarking one composite air unit of stol turboprop (super tucano?) and rotary-wing attack and isr aircraft, and uav, might be a wiser use of scarce resources for gunboat diplomacy or counter insurgency/contingency operations. we used u-boat hunter-killer groups based around “jeep” aircraft carriers to great effect for a similarly limited, specific purpose in the north atlantic starting in 1944.

regardless of what we use, what should worry us most is our industrial capacity, procurement timelines and fighting spirit. i don’t know if such is true, but if indians don’t worry about gender pronouns and can produce any aircraft carrier on-time, on-budget, more power to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
We have a large defense budget and are doing both. The new Constellation class frigate, light amphibious warship, LUSV, etc. The Marine Corp is ditching tanks, etc. We also actually do have smaller carriers of a sort (see LHA 6) which is basically the same displacement as this Indian ship.

Carriers present unique challenges both in terms of how to defend them, and in terms of what they require of the enemy. Having to defend them is a good problem to have 😁

jeff

I don’t think the new Constellation frigates have even started up yet. Aren’t those supposed to take the place of the failed LCS ships?

I don’t think the new Constellation frigates have even started up yet. Aren’t those supposed to take the place of the failed LCS ships?
They're just starting construction of the first one now, though delivery isn't until 2026 if reporting is correct. Different mission than LCS but it does fill the same smaller/cheaper than a DDG role.

jeff

Big problems if it gets hit by just 1.

Agreed just ask the guys on the Moskva.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
Besides 2 Delhi class destroyers flanking whats an Indian Carrier battle group look like?

We know the Brahmos anti ship missile is pretty wicked.

Indian ground based guys are pretty good pilots with skilled planning and good tactics, they sent a bunch of our guys down in 04 sim games and apparently surprised the snot of them.

Back