U.S. sanctions will not halt rise of China's chip industry

I think it can be done if we throw a lot of money at it, but first we have to make more companies competent in this area instead of just relying on TSMC. It would likely have to mandate government purchasing and pay to subsidize it. I'm not sure if the "small government" or "free market" supporters are going to budge on that with tax payer money.
You are spot on. But is is only less profitable in the short run, right?
And what about the alternative? What does the longer run hold for us if we choose to hide like little children? It ain't pretty.

X2. The US (and other countries) NEED to have locally produced supply of the chips that are used in items that are must-haves in their economies. Such as the chips needed in every domestic automobile. Also only locally produced chips should be used in any kind of system (including internet and computers) that are involved in any kind of secure systems.

There's no doubt that China will become a major chip producer but the US and other countries must have an independent, security safe and reliable chip supply of their own, even if the chips themselves will cost more.

An electronic engineering company that I worked for many years ago (back in the 80's, and it no longer exists) sold a product to one of the Arab countries. After a while the customer needed an electronic board that was used in one of the systems. We sold them the board and they returned it because one of the power transistors had RCA printed on the top of it, (along with the transistors part number). And that country had a ban on anything from RCA being imported to it. When we got the board back, the shop used an ink pen eraser to rub away the RCA letters from the top of that power transistor, and recoated the board with clear Krylon paint, (you could see the scratches where the RCA letters had been removed, even after it was again sprayed, if you knew where to look), I then retested it, and it was shipped back to them.

Moral of the story, just because a chip or transistor is banned from being imported from a certain country, does not guarantee that some of those items will never get through such an embargo.

Another true story about shipping electronics to a customer in another country. One of the engineers had to take a trip to China to be there when some computers we sold them were used for the first time (they were to be use to control that huge dam, and we had had people from China over here for about a month for training). And also, at the same time a customer in an African country/nation needed an electronic board for a system they had previously bought from our company here in the US. They wanted that board in a big hurry (it was for a mining project and without that system working they were losing money big time for every hour that it was down), so it was decided that the traveling engineer would divert on his trip to deliver it in person. However, the paperwork required before such a board could be shipped to them would take weeks or even months to process. Our company called them up and told them of this problem, and they said to wrap the board in a bath towel along with a hundred-dollar bill and put that in the engineer's luggage, and to add a hundred dollars to the price of the board. That was done, and when the engineer arrived in that country the hundred-dollar bill was gone, and the board was still in the towel.

Moral of the story, --- same as above ---.

Last edited:
You are spot on. But is is only less profitable in the short run, right?
And what about the alternative? What does the longer run hold for us if we choose to hide like little children? It ain't pretty.
As a "market" the alternative is to look for the next big thing and let the others build the cheap low end stuff.

For example: audio chips, low end network chips, mouse, keyboard, cables, USB stuff, power circuits, etc are mostly done at lower cost area like Taiwan these days, just go look at your "Device Manager" in windows and see how many RealTek / MediaTek stuff out there and what happened to companies like 3COM.

If everyone has to build their own fabs companies like Qualcomm and nVidia would never exist, they would just be the 3COM, 3dfx, and the bad days of AMD.

Sometimes you have to buy stuff from "questionable" vendors so you can focus on building the best thing on top of it. Soviet tried to build everything for "military" reason and they got themselves into financial collapse. We are capitalist and we should pick our battle no matter what we do, that's just how I think at least on civilian stuff.

Reactions: Pew
Way I see it, we can figure out how to build things here - subsidize them if we have to - or we can subsidize the entire world by continuing to patrol all the trade routes with our navy.

Compare the math and some subsides to build fab plants here sounds like a good deal.

Sure, might take a while, but Taiwan is our friend and needs us more than we need them really, so I presume they will help in the end.

Ceding chip manufacturing overseas was one of the worst practices of the 1980's. What if China, our enemy, decided to squeeze us out of chips? Do you want to lead or follow?
1000000000% agreed.

I will add that ceding manufacturing of all critical products overseas was the start of the real downfall of the US and a terrible, horrible, error. Putting dollars ahead of America, our manufacturing base, and Americans. Horrible, terrible decision shoved onto the US and crippled us irreparably.

One cannot be a first world superpower, when we rely on other nations to make our stuff and supply our stuff to us. Those nations can turn off the supply in a moment. And generational work knowledge/experience/abilities/capabilities are lost in the interim.

1000000000% agreed.

I will add that ceding manufacturing of all critical products overseas was the start of the real downfall of the US and a terrible, horrible, error. Putting dollars ahead of America, our manufacturing base, and Americans. Horrible, terrible decision shoved onto the US and crippled us irreparably.

One cannot be a first world superpower, when we rely on other nations to make our stuff and supply our stuff to us. Those nations can turn off the supply in a moment. And generational work knowledge/experience/abilities/capabilities are lost in the interim.
It's only a problem when the existing labor force, which is more expensive, is unable to produce higher order goods.

It's only a problem when the existing labor force, which is more expensive, is unable to produce higher order goods.
Offshoring was one of the things that tamed inflation after the 70's. A cheaper labor force was found and taken advantage of, to keep cheap goods flowing to the USA.

Not saying it was a good thing, or that we weren't sold out by our politicians or CEO's, but there are always trade off's. How many people even look at where something is made before they buy it? They simply look at the price. Many companies tried to remain made in USA, and proudly promoted it. A lot of them ended up out of business or offshoring later.

I worked for a major company that has already been forced to stop using Chinese PRC tech mainly because the chips have a backdoor built in to hack TF out of anything. China's chip market is small potatoes and the reason they want Taiwan is basically to take its chip industry as China is about to enter a period of turmoil as their population collapses and nations like India rise around them and hoping to retain some semblance as a world power. The timeframe where they can take Taiwan is running out and they can't really do it at this time for a number of reasons. By the time their military is ready, it may be too late as their manpower advantage will begin to whittle down....

That is the reason for all the sabre rattling Beijing makes, that and about 5-10 small modern diesel electric subs will pretty much seal the fate of an amphibious assault...

They would never be able to take over Taiwan's semiconductor processing industry. It's simply not possible because they would never get support from the processing equipment manufacturers if they took it over by force. In addition to that, companies like TSMC and UMC don't have enough local talent to keep those plants and processes running and hire an inordinate number of expats who would leave. And I'd think they'd lose whatever support they have now for the fabs in China.

Imagine a technology that sustains Moore's Law, thought to be obsolete...

Moore's Law was always about process shrinkage. Performance/area/cost always got better as the technology got reduced in size, but that's running into its limits with silicon because what we have now is approaching the width of an atom. It's not physically possible to get smaller than that.

If we have anything it's not going to quite scale like Moore's Law and probably won't scale down power consumption. I've heard the big thing is now interconnect inside a chip. I don't have anything specific that I've worked on, but that's something that a lot of people in the industry are working on.

Moore's Law was always about process shrinkage. Performance/area/cost always got better as the technology got reduced in size, but that's running into its limits with silicon because what we have now is approaching the width of an atom. It's not physically possible to get smaller than that.

If we have anything it's not going to quite scale like Moore's Law and probably won't scale down power consumption. I've heard the big thing is now interconnect inside a chip. I don't have anything specific that I've worked on, but that's something that a lot of people in the industry are working on.
ASML.
Intel.
EUV.
This is what matters.

China chips are for your coffee maker.

ASML.
Intel.
EUV.
This is what matters.

China chips are for your coffee maker.

Intel is a little bit behind TSMC and Samsung. Nikon and Canon are into EUV.

There are reports that SMIC has a low volume 7 nm process, but that they can't get embedded memories to work. Without embedded memories (or with memories at a larger feature size) they won't have a terribly effective SoC solution.

Intel is a little bit behind TSMC and Samsung. Nikon and Canon are into EUV.

There are reports that SMIC has a low volume 7 nm process, but that they can't get embedded memories to work. Without embedded memories (or with memories at a larger feature size) they won't have a terribly effective SoC solution.
Who is ASML "behind" ?
:giggle:

Sure. But for those willing to do the work, I say educate them. And there are plenty of those people.
Yep. But a lot of the work to do in making wafers is a bit tedious, as is testing. Lots of education in statistical analysis, lots of data crunching.

I haven’t seen for myself, but when I talk to probe head vendors with their 30,000 needle probe heads, I just shake my head at thinking how to find the bad needle… I’m guessing they put it onto a probe card tester (PRVX? something like that) or just toss the card, it’s not like those high density cards have long lives (product changes too often).

The obvious answer is that we need to be willing to pay a bit more for domestically produced products. Unfortunately, American consumers have basically chosen that price matters more than anything else and here we are.

I have always been fascinated by manufacturing. Having worked for a few manufacturers, large and small, it really interests me.

In any case, I am utterly convinced that domestic products need not cost more. I understand that Malco could not produce Vise Grips locally and do so in a cost effective manner, and has since ceased production. However, I would counter with the fact that using old methods of production and expensive American manual labor is not today's method of producing products efficiently.

Offshoring was one of the things that tamed inflation after the 70's. A cheaper labor force was found and taken advantage of, to keep cheap goods flowing to the USA.

Not saying it was a good thing, or that we weren't sold out by our politicians or CEO's, but there are always trade off's. How many people even look at where something is made before they buy it? They simply look at the price. Many companies tried to remain made in USA, and proudly promoted it. A lot of them ended up out of business or offshoring later.
This, this is the paradox of Western consumerism. They ***** and moan about jobs going overseas and then ravenously consume the cheapest offshore garbage while complaining about the quality the whole time, knowing full well it's coming from China.

This behaviour of course drives further offshoring because if consumer behaviour demonstrates that they don't really care, what is the purpose of maintaining higher cost Western operations?

Back