India's first homegrown aircraft carrier

Funny, India is partner in a military exercise in the Japan Sea and surrounding area this week hosted by the Chinese and Russians.

Funny, India is partner in a military exercise in the Japan Sea and surrounding area this week hosted by the Chinese and Russians.
Smart for them-not funny at all. Keep your (potential) enemies close......either country could crush them.

An aircraft carrier without full support armada (under water, surface, air, and space) is just a big easy to hit target with plenty of fuel and ammunition to add to the huge secondary explosion when it does get hit.

So what else does India have to complete the picture to make it a true fighting machine?

Without the complete picture, an aircraft carrier alone is like playing poker with one ace in your hand and nothing to support it.

Smart on their part. The US navy patrolling the world's ocean to enable global trade was a scheme to win the cold war, which ended 30 years ago. The US navy will go home at some point - likely soon. If countries like India want to continue trading with their neighbors, there going to need to defend their own waters fairly soon.

Smart on their part. The US navy patrolling the world's ocean to enable global trade was a scheme to win the cold war, which ended 30 years ago. The US navy will go home at some point - likely soon.

Not even remotely close to happening any time soon. The #1 priority of the US Military is the protection of US interests, namely economic interests and they comprise the strongest force projection of any individual entity on earth. No one has or does or is capable of doing what the US Navy offers not only to America but the international community at large.

Nice boat India but it is just a showpiece for the foreseeable future.

Not even remotely close to happening any time soon. The #1 priority of the US Military is the protection of US interests, namely economic interests and they comprise the strongest force projection of any individual entity on earth. No one has or does or is capable of doing what the US Navy offers not only to America but the international community at large.

Nice boat India but it is just a showpiece for the foreseeable future.
Soon being years or a couple decades max - it won't last forever. Your correct in the US is the only one that can do it globally, but what is the incentive for the US to continue to do it? There is no cold war to fight. We don't need middle east Oil? Our trade is only 10% of total GDP and almost half of that is Nafta, so the "economic" interests aren't that great, and we can defend our own merchant marine going to countries we want to without having to pay to defend everyone else's.

Its not a matter of capability, its a matter that the US is still defending an old system that benefits others more than it benefits us. We have fewer soldiers stationed abroad than any time since before WW2. The Navy footprint will come next.

An aircraft carrier without full support armada (under water, surface, air, and space) is just a big easy to hit target with plenty of fuel and ammunition to add to the huge secondary explosion when it does get hit.

So what else does India have to complete the picture to make it a true fighting machine?

Without the complete picture, an aircraft carrier alone is like playing poker with one ace in your hand and nothing to support it.

as of November 2021

Soon being years or a couple decades max - it won't last forever. Your correct in the US is the only one that can do it globally, but what is the incentive for the US to continue to do it? There is no cold war to fight. We don't need middle east Oil? Our trade is only 10% of total GDP and almost half of that is Nafta, so the "economic" interests aren't that great, and we can defend our own merchant marine going to countries we want to without having to pay to defend everyone else's.

Its not a matter of capability, its a matter that the US is still defending an old system that benefits others more than it benefits us. We have fewer soldiers stationed abroad than any time since before WW2. The Navy footprint will come next.
Generally I'd agree, but the Ukraine - Russia War may well reverse the US military pull back to some extent.

this. an aircraft carrier is really expensive to build, maintain, operate, defend, lose and replace.

i’m no naval strategist and my humble naval service was spent sitting in locked rooms ashore looking at classified photos of soviet stuff or writing papers. i recall being told that an aircraft carrier is a great boxer with a glass jaw. what i thought were well-reasoned appraisals back then informed that, in a hot war with the ussr, an aircraft carrier in the north atlantic would be lucky to launch one, just maybe two, air strikes before being put out of action. i surmise that the next conventional war (god forbid) will demonstrate if the value of today’s large-deck aircraft carriers will evaporate as the value of battleships did by 1945.

there are others here with far more informed opinions than mine.

US interests also extend to how they can apply leverage in international relations and the usage of the US Navy is a huge trump card that America can always play. In the days of the Brit empire gunboat diplomacy was very effective, now in the days of the American empire it's more about what they will not do that many countries would prefer. That being said if you seek clemency you must do their bidding.

This and the supply lines to put it anywhere in the world. You have to be able to supply it and feed it anywhere in the world , for it to be useful.

this. an aircraft carrier is really expensive to build, maintain, operate, defend, lose and replace.

i’m no naval strategist and my humble naval service was spent sitting in locked rooms ashore looking at classified photos of soviet stuff or writing papers. i recall being told that an aircraft carrier is a great boxer with a glass jaw. what i thought were well-reasoned appraisals back then informed that, in a hot war with the ussr, an aircraft carrier in the north atlantic would be lucky to launch one, just maybe two, air strikes before being put out of action. i surmise that the next conventional war (god forbid) will demonstrate if the value of today’s large-deck aircraft carriers will evaporate as the value of battleships did by 1945.

there are others here with far more informed opinions than mine.

I’ve wondered the same thing.

What if enemy shot 20 ‘Harpoon type’ anti ship missiles at aircraft carrier ?
12 hit and 8 miss the target.

Back