Incredible story about facial recognition and how far it’s gone

That was my thought at first. While not the same it is mind-blowing (at least to me) that mil sats in the 70's were supposedly capable of reading print of a magazine cover. Tech advances pretty rapidly and that over 50 years ago.
Again - physics suggests that what you heard in the 70s was also untrue.

There is a limit to resolution based on the physics of the camera lens and of the air through which the light must travel.

Astronomy has been working against those limits for nearly a century. While there have been advancements, reading magazine covers from space is fantasy.

So is seeing through walls without x-rays. The sensors in space are passive. And there is no part of the normal spectrum of emission that is capable of penetrating walls.

Objects emit passive radiation, based on temperature. The Planck black body curve applies. For satellites to see x-rays from an object, through walls, that object has to be roughly as hot as the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law

Last edited:
I guess i don't see it that way, IMO a lawyer (or any other employee of for that matter) for a firm that has a suit against you is a perfectly valid reason to exclude someone. There are all sorts of reason a Lawyer for such a firm may want to enter an establishment and if i was a firm i would chose someone not directly associated with the case. If i was a property owner and had the means i would exclude all personal that i could associated with the litigation.

He is not excluding (presumably based on the story) all lawyers, He's excluding lawyers associated with firms which have active litigation against his companies. that's a big difference and not discrimination.
On face value, I can’t say I completely disagree with you for whatever it’s worth. I think overtime the court of public opinion will maybe influence what happens in the future.
I say this is because this is a mega giant up and coming worldwide corporation in control of a vast amount of properties in New York and we are to accept they could ban anybody from entering any of their properties involved in a lawsuit even if it’s not related to that property or even the same type of business.
I just don’t know. Here this woman’s company in another state is involved in a lawsuit against one of the corporations restaurants and she gets banned from a public venue at Radio City Music Hall that has nothing to do with the restaurant.
Maybe the answer is to ban the use a private information such as photos for non-security, threats or something that might sound as ridiculous as that. I’m definitely getting more into this than I really wanted too!
Then, again, what’s new with that?🙃
Merry Christmas 🎄

Last edited:
That should not have happened. Must have been an Android device. Apple will ask for the passcode if there is a major change like that.
AFAIK, on Android you must set a PIN/password to enable facial recognition, then always have the option to enter the PIN if not recognized.

Except in geostationary orbit 22,236 miles above the equator, a satellite cannot be made to "hover" in one spot over the Earth. Changing orbital parameters requires a lot of energy, meaning fuel, and fuel is not plentiful in heavy reconnaissance satellites packed with electronics and sensors. So the idea that the military or anyone can make a satellite in low Earth orbit hover over your house in North America or Europe is nonsense.

At about 100–200 miles up, the satellite is traveling so fast that it circles the Earth in only 90–100 minutes. Even attempting to "slow it down" to stay a little longer over an area will lead to reentry. This is the altitude at which the space shuttle and other manned missions normally operated.

That's a pretty bad spot to be in - and laws haven't really kept up with technology in the USA for what is and isn't acceptable.

What I want to know is why are they using that technology there and more specifically why did they decide to use it against somebody they don't like? They couldn't possibly have done it at a worse time for the wrong reason.

That should not have happened. Must have been an Android device. Apple will ask for the passcode if there is a major change like that.

Password/PIN is required before setting any other unlock method on Android. Mine will ask for the PIN or pattern once too many unlock attempts are tried.

In other countries (UK) - where security cameras are on every street corner, this has been true for a while.

The real question isn’t “can the authorities watch you” - because they can. It’s more a question of “Do you have any privacy if you’re always under surveillance where machine learning can track you?”
My $0.02 is that in general the technology is good, why not make crime much much harder to get away with? And your not really guaranteed privacy out in public anyways.
What needs work, is transparency on who gets to access this information and for what reasons? There needs to be true civilian oversight, perhaps randomly selected every few months like jury duty, or some other extreme measures to prevent abuse or corruption of elected officials. IMO there needs to be more transparency in all levels of government anyways. There is too much distrust due to an information vacuum.

Events you attend, stores your walk in, traffic lights you stop at, public areas you visit.
Anyone can watch and track you, pick you up, first it’s starts for safety sake, then goes from there to corporations and private wealthy people, James Nolan from Cablevision almost a household name on Long Island NY going back decades to now read this =

_____
When I return to the USA, I don't need my passport or fingerprints to get through customs. I look into a customs camera, and a green light comes on to exit. I don't have to say a word, not produce a declaration lst, nothing.

Just look into the camera. They know who I am, Nd apparently where I have been.

When I return to the USA, I don't need my passport or fingerprints to get through customs. I look into a customs camera, and a green light comes on to exit. I don't have to say a word, not produce a declaration lst, nothing.

Just look into the camera. They know who I am, Nd apparently where I have been.
Technology is good when used for purposes that aren’t sinisterl.
Kicking a mom out of a Christmas show chaperoning girl scouts because a company she works for is suing a restaurant owned by the corporation that isn’t even in that location?
Shows the arrogance of Nolan

The story says her firm was notified twice of the policy due to her firm's ongoing litigation. She ignored it, or wasn't told about it. Who's to blame for an uncomfortable situation? The security guys are doing their job, mom/Christmas show/girl scouts all good topics for public outrage but not valid reasons for security to make an exception.

Reactions: wlk
On face value, I can’t say I completely disagree with you for whatever it’s worth. I think overtime the court of public opinion will maybe influence what happens in the future.
I say this is because this is a mega giant up and coming worldwide corporation in control of a vast amount of properties in New York and we are to accept they could ban anybody from entering any of their properties involved in a lawsuit even if it’s not related to that property or even the same type of business.
I just don’t know. Here this woman’s company in another state is involved in a lawsuit against one of the corporations restaurants and she gets banned from a public venue at Radio City Music Hall that has nothing to do with the restaurant.
Maybe the answer is to ban the use a private information such as photos for non-security, threats or something that might sound as ridiculous as that. I’m definitely getting more into this than I really wanted too!
Then, again, what’s new with that?🙃
Merry Christmas 🎄
Respectfully, I think the court of public opinion plays no role in future policies, and hasn't for some time.

Respectfully, I think the court of public opinion plays no role in future policies, and hasn't for some time.
I don’t know a corporation who isn’t scared to death of negative press.

Look what just happen to Disneys CEO in the last month. thrown out without warning less than three years after taking on the people of Florida telling parents how their kids should be taught about gender in schools.
Look what just happened to Twitter, corporations pulled out in mass over fear of negative press if they stayed.
These are just two of off the top of my head results in the last less than two months.

The thing is Nolan and the corporate entity MSG I believe is an LLC and not a publicly traded company, but my personal feelings are that makes no difference whatsoever if they alienate the public enough because at that point, every loudmouth politician, will be looking to score points with the public instead of the corporation, and act accordingly.
One might say they have way too much power and need to be broken up.

James Dolan has plenty of reasons to be disliked but I can’t say banning a lawyer that works for the firm suing you is one in my eyes.

Hear comes another. A company can be as pigheaded as the newly hired and now fired CEO of Disney was when it came to interfering in school politics. (just one tiny example) Ever hear the word woke? Can anyone deny companies are not affraid of that word. Even if Dolan isn't, the companies and people and POLITICIANS he has to do business with are. Let's not even get started at a more extreme culture where he has and is expanding in the EU. They will rip him apart, their privacy laws put USA law to shame and the USA in a third world level.

I know we all see things differently but I am saying to those that do, don't think for a minute Dolan is not putting the stature of these national and international public venues at peril if it starts to snowball and sometimes it does snowball. Will it now, we will see.

But don't think for a minute, that even though privately owned properties like Radio City Music Hall. a Landmark isn't put at risk by his wonton attitude towards the public.
Remember, there is no such thing as private property if something is in the best interest of the public, Public Domain.
Now let's not get silly extreme but if you think, getting bad press and national attention helps your real estate business grow in the public domain. Well then I say you will get sliced and diced over time.
Let's look around at other companies who recently got trashed by this culture.
and now ...
Kicking Girl Scout Mom out of a Christmas Show. Ha... we will see.

Oh, by the way, Victim number TWO just came out of the closet!
Here you go! Let's see if the snowball keeps getting bigger. Im a little surprised but that is ok at some of the comments, corporations banning people at will, ummm ... we will see.
It MIGHT just show that he has too much of a strangle hold on public venues and what happens then... oh my, calls to break it up. Easy stuff if it ever blew up in his face.
The public rules.

Last edited:
See i feel like that ones a perfect example of why this is a good idea for Dolan.

Alexis is a lawyer for a firm that has a PI case against Madison Square Garden (according to the story) for a fall from the skybox ...

Am i the only one that sees the water cooler conversation going something like "Hey, Ive got tickets to the Knicks game a MSG, it's gonna be a good time!", "Oh hey Alexis that's great, did you hear Sammy Jo Lawyer in the corner office has a fall case there, maybe you could try to scope out the Skybox and see if the railing looks short or if the personal are vigilant for people tying to hang out, maybe grab a picture or two on the new iPhone 16", "Cool Barry, i bet if I could it would really help me out around here, maybe ill go talk to Sammy Jo".

I think the whole "oh he works there but he isn't involved in the case" argument is incredibly naive.

I'm not saying Dolan won't take a bath in the court of public opinion, he probably will at least in the short term, but the court of public opinion is fickle, emotional and not the law. I still see this as a black and white issue, he has good legal reason to prevent people working for firms litigating against him and as the property owner it's his right to do so. It is not a discrimination issue if he's not doing on the basis of Race/Creed/Religion/Gender etcetera and so forth.

I mean some idiot wal mart manager trespassed a service member for wearing his motorcycle helmet inside, and the local yokels helped and were quick to explain it was all walmarts not just that one.. right there on Live PD... where's the outrage there? I personally feel like the manager and the local yokels should have all lost their jobs, but it is private property right?

Facial recognition is definitely here to stay, private industry can do whatever they want with their cameras and databases. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to be a patron of that organization.

Here's my prediction:

Today, in the early days of FR, the wrong people will get arrested (already happened) or even killed. The systems will be fine tuned and laws will be passed.

Thorough saturation of facial recognition technology in the future will help solve crimes, catch kidnappers, find drug dealers, and wanted felons. Pairing FR tech with a network of drones hovering over a city (charged while flying by wireless power transfer tech) recording video and RF communications will result in a massive reduction in crime as long as local DA's and politics don't interfere.

The private sector will monetize your face and bombard you with ads and sell your movement data to anyone and everyone.

Resistance is futile....not because the government will impose this on us, but because the private sector will only give us access to their services when we agree to tracking permissions and EULA's that chip away at our privacy. We'll do it to ourselves.

Our physical and digital identities will be assimilated into a cloud of information where by 2040 (some predict) or earlier, we will reach a singularity where privacy no longer exists.

Lie detector is obsolete...CVC
What is CVC? Couldn't find anything on Google.

Last edited:
See i feel like that ones a perfect example of why this is a good idea for Dolan.

Alexis is a lawyer for a firm that has a PI case against Madison Square Garden (according to the story) for a fall from the skybox ...

Am i the only one that sees the water cooler conversation going something like "Hey, Ive got tickets to the Knicks game a MSG, it's gonna be a good time!", "Oh hey Alexis that's great, did you hear Sammy Jo Lawyer in the corner office has a fall case there, maybe you could try to scope out the Skybox and see if the railing looks short or if the personal are vigilant for people tying to hang out, maybe grab a picture or two on the new iPhone 16", "Cool Barry, i bet if I could it would really help me out around here, maybe ill go talk to Sammy Jo".

I think the whole "oh he works there but he isn't involved in the case" argument is incredibly naive.

I'm not saying Dolan won't take a bath in the court of public opinion, he probably will at least in the short term, but the court of public opinion is fickle, emotional and not the law. I still see this as a black and white issue, he has good legal reason to prevent people working for firms litigating against him and as the property owner it's his right to do so. It is not a discrimination issue if he's not doing on the basis of Race/Creed/Religion/Gender etcetera and so forth.

I mean some idiot wal mart manager trespassed a service member for wearing his motorcycle helmet inside, and the local yokels helped and were quick to explain it was all walmarts not just that one.. right there on Live PD... where's the outrage there? I personally feel like the manager and the local yokels should have all lost their jobs, but it is private property right?
""I'm not saying Dolan won't take a bath in the court of public opinion""
Dolan owns businesses that are overwhelming immune from public opinion. People may hate the owners' of their sports franchises, but they will never let that hate get in the way of the team they support. Funny how that works.

Reactions: wlk
She admits she was notified, ignored it and got caught. She was just asked kindly to leave, not cited or arrested and wants attention for it now to shame the owners. Sorry, she knew she was wrong and tried to get away with it. At least her kid/s and the rest of the group got to stay.

Back