Increasing towing capacity on Toyota Transaxle

The tongue weight in europe is different to the US, and that's why the limits are different. In the US 10% of the mass is tongue weight, while in europe we only have 5-6%.- Double the tongue weight and you duster will not be happy either: heavily loaded (likely overloaded) rear axle and relatively unloaded front. The rear overhang vs whellbase ratio is important aswell: lots of overhang with short wheelbase means more unloading of the front axle

The attitude towards towing in the US is so much different to Europe.

My little Dacia Duster with a 115hp 1.5 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine is plated to tow 1500kgs (~3300lbs) and manages perfectly fine. I max it out quite regularly with our caravan.

Diesels in general have a very good low end torque and much flatter torque curve and yours is Turbo also. Much higher torque available at low RPMs.

Towing trucks come with trans cooler, heavy-duty cooling system, brakes, drivetrain, suspension, etc. and optimal or higher axle ratio ... Some or all of the above.

I would personally NEVER exceed %80 of the rated towing capacity.

1000 lbs. to 3500 lbs. is risky! You need to figure out your payload. Including other loads like gas, water, camping stuff, passengers, food, dog?, beer, underwear, usb-b, usb-c, etc. lol
Unless it's for a very short distance like when Toyota Tundra (10200 lbs. towing capacity) towed the 292000 lbs space shuttle in a Toyota commercial. I think it was only for 0.25 miles. :alien:

Last edited:
I know on the new Rav4 - the ones that have a higher tow rating have a engine oil cooler. Its directly off the side of the engine block, and you can't retrofit - that style cooler at least. I believe there might be additional differences, like larger ATF cooler also, etc.

The camper has brakes, and if I ever were to tow it, I'd have a 7 pin connector with a brake controller.

Origional question which was only answered once was if the transaxle was up to the task. As the V6 Venza is listed at 3500 lbs, and the L4 is only 1000 lbs. Just wondering what the real difference is. I have no issues not going 65+ mph while towing. We are talking a pop-up camper here, not a car hauler with a F350 on it.

The camper has brakes, and if I ever were to tow it, I'd have a 7 pin connector with a brake controller.

Origional question which was only answered once was if the transaxle was up to the task. As the V6 Venza is listed at 3500 lbs, and the L4 is only 1000 lbs. Just wondering what the real difference is. I have no issues not going 65+ mph while towing. We are talking a pop-up camper here, not a car hauler with a F350 on it.
Have you ever towed before?

Have you ever towed before?
Yes, please read the post.

I have a RAM 2500, but only has 3 seats. Wife wants to take one vehicle, hence the inquiry.

I have a tractor and a few different trailers, tow tractor, firewood, parts, etc.

Back