Increasing towing capacity on Toyota Transaxle

We are looking at a pristine 15,000 mile 2013 Venza. Only driven every few weeks etc.

It has the 2.7 banger and AWD.

Towing capacity is listed at 1,000 lbs, but in V6 trim it is 3500 lbs.

What is the real difference? Added cooling? Hard parts any different?

I'd think the 180ish ponies are fine for towing more than 1,000 pounds. Not looking to win any races towing a small pop-up camper, is it possible?

Camper is 3,000 lbs.

I would strongly suspect it's not the same transmission. Usually Toyota had different ones, I4 vs V6, for the transaxle used.

I do suspect though that it's the same coil springs (rear), and more importantly, brakes. Same wheelbase and track, so, in terms of safety, it's the same vehicle. I suspect the lower rating is from both lack of horsepower (this is America, if you can't tow at 80mph up Ike's Pass then you don't have enough power) and wanting to slide people into the more profitable option.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend towing past ratings, but if it was me, I wouldn't think too much of it. A pop-up has low drag. Find out if it has a transmission cooler, add one if not, and try to be sane about it. Would I want to go 2x the rating? no, but I too question the low rating.

Want a good laugh? My 1999 Camry is rated for 2,000lb, for both the V6 and the I4 version. I think I got close to 1,500lb once, and once was enough. I might not have had the weight properly distributed (too much on the tongue), but all the same, that's not a lot of weight, and I wasn't at the limit, and it wasn't fun. Not saying a diesel dually is required for a popup, but few have regretted having more tow vehicle than needed. Venza is on the short side, and softly sprung, and I'm not sure if "fun" is the right word for using one as a tow vehicle.

You need to research what the differences are. Is a transmission cooler installed on the V6 or is the difference solely attributed to horsepower? You picked a very poor vehicle to tow your camper.
I have a RAM 2500 for my job, but no back seat. Wife doesn't want to take 2 vehicles to go camping with the kids.

I'm not saying I'll actually tow anything with it, just wondering if anyone knows what actually goes into coming up with a tow rating.

You need to research what the differences are. Is a transmission cooler installed on the V6 or is the difference solely attributed to horsepower? You picked a very poor vehicle to tow your camper.
v6 Sienna towing package adds engine oil cooler. Same powertrain as Venza. (also add larger capacity radiator and different fans)

I'm not saying I'll actually tow anything with it, just wondering if anyone knows what actually goes into coming up with a tow rating.
Depends on the era. I think it used to be smoke and mirrors, but more recently they came up with SAE J2807 which is supposed to have some resemblance of a common way to measure and rate.

You would hope that the OEM would do testing, run it over the desert with a headwind, etc. That they didn't just pull the number out of the air. Thing is, it's not like they give much insight, and this being a "car", I'm not sure they have ever given insight (on trucks, where it's about bragging rights, they will boast about what features they did to increase the tow capacity).

definitely not a good tow vehicle. If that’s your intention for this I would look for something else. JMO.

2.7 in the Tacoma is rated at 3,000lbs.
I'd just add a trans cooler and call it a day.
The Tacoma is the 2.7 is the 2TR-FE while the Venza 2.7L is the 1AR-FE. Not exactly the same, Lu's as others have stated the Venza is not a full frame in body.

Even with a cooler I would not tow 3000.

Nope.

i had a 3300 lb pop-up, and owned 2 tow vehicles while we had it.

1997 pathfinder 4wd, 5,500 rating vs 2001 town and country with something like 3500 lb rating.

the minivan was easily twice the tow vehicle as the pathfinder. The tail wagged the dog in the pathfinder with lazy, soft rear suspension and shorter wheelbase. It was a white-knuckled affair in the mountains. The minivan, with leaf springs and longer wheelbase, despite lower ratings, was easily twice the vehicle. Heck, the minivan may have actually been 3100 lbs rated, less than what I think the camper was. a cooler would have fixed that, but I simply didn’t get silly in the hills and it was fine.

never had any transmission issues in that van, either.

don’t pull a 3300 lb camper with the Venza, unless it is short, local trips only. I don’t think you’ll like it at 60+ mph.

the minivan was easily twice the tow vehicle as the pathfinder. The tail wagged the dog in the pathfinder with lazy, soft rear suspension and shorter wheelbase. It was a white-knuckled affair in the mountains. The minivan, with leaf springs and longer wheelbase, despite lower ratings, was easily twice the vehicle.
Just remember, minivans are uncool, a do-all SUV is twice the vehicle, with twice the do-all factor.

Sometimes I wonder, tow rigs of the past, if we dusted them off, how would they stack up? I browse CL often, and a late 80's Caprice wagon was listed locally. Not all of them were 5k rated, but I think some of them were? Olds 307's and TH200R4's pushing like 3:1 rear gears, I can't imagine them stacking up--yet back in the day, they got used. But long and wide, and not light, probably couldn't stop for beans--but no trailer was going to push them around!

What’s the braking situation look like? Certainly no trailer brakes, so are the tow vehicles brakes up to it?

The Tacoma is a body on frame vehicle. The Venza is not. Yes-there is a big difference.

Do you tow anything?
- There is a huge difference, I didn't say there wasn't.
- Venza has pretty large footprint for a 5-seater. Very wide, usually on large wheels/tires, which ensure pretty good traction and stability. I've seen a Venza fully loaded up with stuff. It took the weight pretty well, wasn't sagging, like for example every Nissan Altima does when there is more than one child on the back seats.
- Yes I do tow occasionally. It usually looks something like the GIF below, because I'm a huge fan of using the wrong tool for the job. There are guys towing an 5x8 open trailer with dually, and then there is me - towing a 16ft trailer with a Smart car 😂. Not literally, but I can see myself trying something like that.

Back