Increasing hostility on BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
a user who was previous banned coming back to crap drop, spread misinformation, and cause hostilities.
Idahopotato would be a good example look at his recent posts about 0w1000 weight oil being the same weight at room temp as 0w30
or his syn oil doesnt handle fuel contamination as well as conventional posts.

those would be misinformation, then he will randomly drop some hostility.
I see a difference between not knowing truth/facts and trolling, and therefore the former spreads misinformation because they believe they understand what they say. A real troll pretty much knows the truth, but posts like he doesn't know so as to cause strife in threads.

Eh, trolls and forum bullies have been around since the beginning. I started on forums in the late '90s with mountainbikes and Jeeps. I'm a member of several forums now as well as FB groups including moderating/admining some. This one is pretty mellow but there are some folks that do some trolling. The FB groups can be brutal and far outweigh anything I've seen on an old-school forum. Hateful and verging on threatening and often the admins aren't v. good about dealing with it. I count trolling 2 ways - 1) the folks that get booted and come back with new names and just start $hit and 2) forum regulars that just have to drop jerky comments all the time vs. being helpful.

Disagree, bitog would not exist if it was just oil.
images.jpeg-8.jpg

I know I'm just a nobody new member here but I have seen more threads that went at least half-way off the rails on BITOG than the other two forums I have been a part of for the last 4-5 years. When a couple users begin to pollute a thread with personal digs and bickering there should be a moderator/admin to step in as an unbiased ref. On the rare occasion a thread goes off-topic in my favorite forum a moderator will either close the thread or the bickering parties are told they can keep bickering but do it in the "Off Topic" section. Sometimes the children need to separated. At the end of the day a forum seems much less professional and worthwhile if argumentative/contrarian personalities are allowed to dominate an otherwise serious/informative discussion. I'm not suggesting censorship but rather there is a time and place for everything.

Although, over on ArboristSite I have read some hilarious back and forth battles over things like a person's favorite 2-stroke oil or whether or not metal expands as it gets hotter.

I know I'm just a nobody new member here but I have seen more threads that went at least half-way off the rails on BITOG than the other two forums I have been a part of for the last 4-5 years. When a couple users begin to pollute a thread with personal digs and bickering there should be a moderator/admin to step in as an unbiased ref. On the rare occasion a thread goes off-topic in my favorite forum a moderator will either close the thread or the bickering parties are told they can keep bickering but do it in the "Off Topic" section. Sometimes the children need to separated. At the end of the day a forum seems much less professional and worthwhile if argumentative/contrarian personalities are allowed to dominate an otherwise serious/informative discussion. I'm not suggesting censorship but rather there is a time and place for everything.

Although, over on ArboristSite I have read some hilarious back and forth battles over things like a person's favorite 2-stroke oil or whether or not metal expands as it gets hotter.

Wait, metal expands as it gets hotter? Who told you that? 😉It weakens. although I might be confusing metal with steel.

I once had a firefighter 🔥 tell me that ice does not actually melt. What happens is, it transfers heat away from the surface of something else, and in absorbing that heat, then begins to turn into water from its solid state. I wonder.

As to discussions here, I find I can actually ask questions and learn things, and that I do not see a lot of "thread de-rails." No idea if it was always like that, but I find this a very useful forum. I think the General and Off-Topic forum is doing a very good job of allowing space for fun, and I'm thankful I can actually ask questions and maybe even change what I know.

I work at a plant, we make automotive fluids (pretty much everything but motor oil. Though I did see some of this https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...-products/products/mobil-1-high-mileage-0w-20 on a mixed pallet. So anything related to cars, general automotive, warehouse, and, larger than that.. life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, adventure, living, learning, it's all here.

Also your opinion on if Shave And A Haircut For Me is the universal Forklift Driver Horn theme song. But that's for another thread.

Not sure I see the threads getting derailed very often but most bickering is the result of newer members expressing his/her belief in a product or procedure without data to substantiate. Most times, the product or procedure cannot be proven with testing or data. The bickering starts when the more knowledgeable members explain the ineffectiveness and the new member takes offense. Most notably is topics like motor flushes, Lucas oil stabilizer, and many other "additives".

The Mods do a great job on this forum in my opinion. There may be a rare occasion to view questionable content before a mod has time to react.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back