Incorrect things a shop has told you

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years back I was taking a B744 flight out of SFO on a regular basis...when the upper deck was boarding I kept thinking it seemed like Noah’s Ark pairs getting seated
wink.gif

Last edited:
Don’t know how long certifying takes ... but at OEM dealerships don’t think it ever ends... in my small town jobs are not easy to find like the big city...so we keep the same techs and private ASE mechanics for many years ... no complaints here.

Last edited:
Your car is all set!!!! after getting 4 tires installed at a local chain called VIP.

It proceeds to loose 3 of 5 lugs with my wife driving it. Another VIP reinstalls wheels and and verifies all lugs etc.

VIP refunded full cost of tire install however a week latter I find 2 tires loosing air and I mentioned at write up originally with VIP it had this issue. Another shop finds VIP never changed the valve stems I was charged for nor did they buff off rust at rim edge/tire bead.

Your car is all set ha!!! Last visit to a chain.

My son is just starting this process right now, at a large tire manufacturer's service center. He started on the oil change bay and now has a certification to perform state inspections. The company pays for 2 ASE certifications a year and increases pay rate for each one. The ASE tests only cost $50. per, so he is going to try and knock out 3 or 4 per year since the flat rate jobs use a multiplier of his hourly pay rate.

Back in 2007 I was considering a GTI with the DSG. Over on VWVortex.com there was a thread concerning service of the DSG unit. Several people reported that they had gone to their dealer and requested a DSG service at the recommended 40,000 mile interval and they had been told no service was required.

Just for giggles, I called the three dealers in the Louisville, KY area(a 50 mile radius). In each case I asked for the service department. Once I was connected I asked how much it cost to service the DSG in a new Golf GTI. Here were the results of my informal survey:

AAAA Volkswagen, called on 2/28/07- "The newer transmissions are sealed and don't need service. Everything is done through the computer." Huh?
BBBB Volkswagen, called on 3/1/07- The first person in service who picked up asked me what a DSG was(uh-oh). I was transferred to a second person who stated that there was "no recommended service" for the DSG. [
CCCC Volkswagen, called on 3/1/07- "The service costs $339 and is performed every 40,000 miles." Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

Other VWVortex members conducted similar surveys and a 33% knowledge rate was-if anything-a bit on the high side.

I wound up buying a 2007 Mazdaspeed3...

Mistakes are made. I've made a few wrenching on my cars, mainly in my early days. What frosts me is when mechanics lie right in your face.

Not a shop but Advance Auto told a female friend who has a Mustang that the noise she sometimes heard coming from the left front wheel area was a bad front CV joint. On a RWD car? LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shDK
As a person not being from the US. I have to say. You paint a picture, off the Average US worker as not bing very good educated. And having a very low professional standard. Is it really that bad? Or are you all just using wide brush to paint a bad image?

How long does it take to become a certified professional auto mechanic in the US ?

The industry isn't respected. HS guidance counselors steer those not good at school towards "the trades" somewhat arbitrarily/ disdainfully. If you are good at algebra and mention you want to take shop they'll stare at you blankly and ask "why".

The average worker bee level mechanic doesn't get to write policy, and dealers are always trying to come up with new shenanigans to cover their heavy debt load. People are paid flat rate, which harkens back to how 1800s seamstresses used to be paid piecemeal, not even guaranteed a minimum hourly wage.

If you do finish near the top of your class, not doctor/lawyer/engineer level but close, they send you to Wall Street.

I wont bash the honest guy who is actually trying to do his job. Like others have said, there are so many different vehicles, variations and designs that it is impossible to keep up. I have been screwed by a few shady [censored] in the past but I am quite forgiving on those that actually care and try.

5 years ago I was going to change the gear oil in the rear diff on my Trailblazer. I could not get the fill cap out of the housing. The PO obviously tried and the thing was starting to round. I went to a local independent and asked him to take a look. He knew I wrenched from time to time and he just told me to tighten it first, then back it out. He said that is what he would do and he did not want to charge me money for something I could do myself. It worked. Little things like that stick with me.

Shop 1: Your A/C pressures look good it's probably blowing warm because of the really hot day we have today.

Shop 2: Your A/C system only has .56lbs of refrigerant left out of a 1.58lbs system.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Silk

One day I was doing a safety inspection for a couple of dykes, when I failed it, one said to the other - ''I told you we shouldn't get a man to do it !''

Were you as kind and sensitive during the inspection?

I wonder how old their Forester was?

Originally Posted By: Silk
...One day I was doing a safety inspection for a couple of dykes, when I failed it, one said to the other - ''I told you we shouldn't get a man to do it !''

What was unsafe about the ladies, too many piercings??

Had the ASE-certified GM service technician try to tell me that the power mirror fuse in the Traverse was good (it wasn't), and the reason the power mirrors didn't work was because of a problem in the wiring between the mirrors and the body control module. If he was actually looking at the correct wiring diagram, he would have seen that the body control module doesn't control the power mirrors at all. Problem turned out to be a faulty $20 mirror switch that had a contact break off inside which caused a short circuit and blew the fuse. Why he couldn't find that in 4 hours when I found it in 15 minutes, I'll never know.

It's not the head gasket!! Your valves can't be adjusted! This car takes 4.5 qrts of oil!! This is the wrong oil pan and wrong pcv valve! Your rear brakes need replacing( 4 yrs ago and rears are still good)!!

Last edited:
Water pump needs replacement with every timing belt. Oh yeah? How about 300K Miles (535,000km) on the original water pump in my Santa Fe. That's only 5 timing belts later.
wink.gif

Yeah I wait for the water pump to fail before changing the timing belt.

pB0kPTn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back