Checking Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the wrong kind of attention
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: beast3300

For example my Regal: When it gets close to closing time in the dead of winter, I pull my car into the shop to let the snow melt off of it. If the engine only runs 1 minute from the parking lot to the bay and I check the oil, it always reads low (.5 to .75 qts.) Let it sit for an hour, it reads the same (still low.)

Drive it home (20 mins) and park it (overnight.) Check in the morning and the oil is exactly full.

Your shop floor or driveway aren't quite level...

OK, everybody, listen up !!
Tomorrow, when we arrive home from an outing, we'll all immediately check our warm oil and then go back later and check it again when it has had a good chance to fully drain.
Report our findings on Monday... we'll see how much our levels increased.

This test has to be done in the same parking spot.. not hot at shop/store etc then home to drain. The same location so ground grades can't play a role in the results.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

Umm no, I think it could be the ambient temp in the 20s or teens and engine oil being maple syrup.

I always check mine in the morning, stone cold engine, same spot on the driveway. It it proper? I don't know, but it's very consistent. I know where the level should be after an oil change (it's just a hair above the full line, since my driveway slants just a touch); so I fill to about there. I think there's more of a chance for error doing it at gas stations, etc, and it's a convenient spot.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You don't want to check the oil immediatly after turning it off. A few minutes should be enough time for any oil in the top to run down into the pan.

I think that by the time the gas pump is done pumping gas the oil could be safely checked.
Yep, when it's been a couple days since I checked the oil level, this is my way of checking my oil. I pull into my pump spot, fully attend the pump the whole (10.3 gallons worth) time, then I wash the exterior windows (if there is a squigee available......), then I pop the hood, and check the oil level, being sure to grab a paper towel from the dispenser
smile.gif
Always wiping off the dipstick first, re-inserting, and getting the next reading.

Yes, I have noticed if you check the oil "too soon" after shutting off, you may have the "smeared dipstick effect"
wink.gif
Trust me, I've seen it.....my car will do it, my sister's old 98 Altima did it....my 2 previous Kia's did it.....if you pull that dipstick immediately after shutting the engine off, there's no doubt, the "dipstick tube" is going to be splattered with oil, and it will bugger the oil level reading as you pull out the dipstick......

I always wait 5 minutes or so after shutting a car off to check the oil, and I always have the same reading whether 5 minutes after shutdown, or 1 month after shutdown. Mostly check it hot, shortly after shutdown as I like to check the transmission fluid as well. There is too much other [censored] in day to day living to worry about then to get hung up on .5 millimeter on the dipstick because the engine wasnt cold when checking the oil. Air pressure in tires is a different story.

I check it at each fill-up. Turn it off, pop the hood, start the gas, get the paper towel and check it. I've tried it both ways on my car and truck, and it doesn't make a noticeable difference cold vs. this reading.

Umm no, I think it could be the ambient temp in the 20s or teens and engine oil being maple syrup.

How can you check it on the shop floor and then compare it to a measurement taken later in the driveway. Certainly they could be different grades giving different readings.

Originally Posted By: moving2
I check it at each fill-up. Turn it off, pop the hood, start the gas, get the paper towel and check it. I've tried it both ways on my car and truck, and it doesn't make a noticeable difference cold vs. this reading.

I think we have a winner here...
thumbsup2.gif

How can you check it on the shop floor and then compare it to a measurement taken later in the driveway. Certainly they could be different grades giving different readings.

My driveway is level. I can repeat that test at work too. If I pull it into the shop first thing (engine full op) it will show full.

All I am saying is the reason that the owners manual says check after driving could be to ensure hot oil return to the pan. That is why I gave the example of my car during winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back