Inconsistent oil level - 2011 Lexus LX570

Hi all,

Hoping you folks can help shed some light on this weird anomaly I am encountering.
I own a 2011 LX570 with 173k miles. I am currently running 0w-20 TGMO oil and have about 3500 miles on the oil.

Recently I did a 600 mile road trip and about 200 miles in, I stop to get gas and I check the oil level 5-10 min after the car has been shut off. Car is on level ground and the oil level reads half a qt low. Weird I thought, no oil leaks and I never had oil consumption issues before.

I drive across the street stop to get lunch and check the oil level again. This time 25-30min after the car is shut off. Oil level is back to the full mark.

Over the past few days I check the oil level after the car has been sitting overnight, level shows full. Again, when I stop to get gas or get home and check the oil 5-10 min after, it shows its low.

Per the manual it states "*: The engine oil capacity is a reference quantity to be used when changing the engine oil. Warm up and turn off the engine, wait more than 5 minutes, and check the oil level on the dipstick."

I have checked my oil in the past and oil showed full after 5-10 minutes. This has just started happening recently.

I don't know the oiling system on that engine, but perhaps the ADBV in the current filter is leaking. If positioned the right way, an ADBV valve failure can let oil otherwise maintained in the head and pipes back-flow into the pan. In the short period, not enough gets back to register, but with enough time it drains back enough to register on the dipstick. Do you hear extra start-up noise (not definitive, but indicative)?

If the system is such that this is possible on that engine, swap filters and see if it persists.

Since you do in fact get proper oil level on you dipstick after 30 min, I'd say that you're fine and there may indeed be a reason such as what Oro_O mentioned, that there is a slow drawback into the pan. Maybe this is new/weird to you but again, you're fine! (y)

Since you do in fact get proper oil level on you dipstick after 30 min, I'd say that you're fine and there may indeed be a reason such as what Oro_O mentioned, that there is a slow drawback into the pan. Maybe this is new/weird to you but again, you're fine! (y)
This was supposed to say...Oro-O not the emoji that showed up.

Checking the oil it can be tricky due to ambient temperature and/or the temperature of the oil. Also how fast the oil can drip down to the pan.

The bad ADBV / replace oil filter is an excellent suggestion. Also try checking your oil in the exact same place (e.g., in your driveway or garage). This will eliminate the variable ground surface which can really impact the oil level reading. And it goes without saying you need to check it with the vehicle in the same state every time (e.g. 10 minutes after shutoff every time, or after sitting overnight every time).

Check both sides of the dip stick and go with the lower reading. Sometimes my dipstick will drag the side of the tube when pulling out and smear the oil higher on that side of the dip stick.

Back