Inadequate tires from the factory

This. Highly doubt that was the only option.
That's correct. I ordered the "right" tires, they are an option. But, as @IndyIan noted there's a caveat with those in that you need to make sure they are off the vehicle when the weather cools. I'm still running them right now but should probably take them off next week.

I had the horrific Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on my 2014 SRT and they'd spin if you looked at them wrong. Most that sit on a dealer lot are likely ordered without the summer rubber option checked.

That's correct. I ordered the "right" tires, they are an option. But, as @IndyIan noted there's a caveat with those in that you need to make sure they are off the vehicle when the weather cools. I'm still running them right now but should probably take them off next week.

I had the horrific Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on my 2014 SRT and they'd spin if you looked at them wrong. Most that sit on a dealer lot are likely ordered without the summer rubber option checked.
Sounds like our CS models that come with Pilot Sport Cup tires. Sitting on them in below freezing and they will basically shatter.

What are you expecting on TRD's and Wranglers? Mud tires from the factory?

They should already come with A/T tires from the factory, which is enough to get started in off-roading, should they choose to get off of the beaten path.

The reason why performance cars have all-season tires is to prevent morons running summer tires in the snow.
They might "technically" be all terrains, but they look like highway tires.

OEM tires have 3 main purposes:

1. Ride smooth and quiet on a test drive so people buy the car.
2. Last somewhat long, at least long enough to not piss off customers.
3. Be idiot proof.

Thats why you don’t see aggressive off-road tires on most Jeeps and trucks. Other than specific special trims. For the bulk of consumers who don’t know anything and just buy these to drive on the road, they’d complain about ride/handling/noise on their new vehicle.

Likewise for summer performance tires. The bulk of buyers would whine that they wear out too fast, or they would buy the car in February with the summer tires and crash it on the drive home.

The carmakers only spec tires like that on specific trim levels they know will be bought by people who understand what to expect.

Last edited:
they are just naturally prone to wheel hop. when i was delivering them it was super obvious with TC on. my old E55 did the same thing until you killed esp

dodge asks a lot out of that 20 year old suspension and didn’t really change much over the years.
20? That suspension was already being tested by Mercedes in 1992.

I've rarely made it past a year with OE tires on any new car. They either get really noisy, wear out really fast, or as my Hankooks did - dry rot in a year.

I did get a set of Pirelli P6s on a Pontiac once that I did like. The Nexen tires on our Veloster are really loud.

My experience has been bad enough with OEM tires that with my most recent car (22 4Runner) I had the dealer remove the OEM tires and put Michelins on before I even picked it up.

Toyota particularly seems to put awful tires on OEM. Which is strange because the rest of their cars are so good. Ford seems to generally put good tires on new cars, I had a Taurus and an Escape that came with Michelin Primacy.

Last edited:
In thinking back at all of the new cars I have bought over the decades, there are only a few that had truly horrible OEM tires.

Ford Focus - OEM Firestones were junk
Hyundai Sonata - OEM Kumho Solus KH25. Just bad. Really bad.
Chevrolet Impala - OEM Goodyear Integrity. words cannot describe how horrible these tires are.
Chevrolet Equinox - OEM Michelin Latitude Tour. Unimpressive.

Otherwise, I have also had new cars and SUVs with tires such as the Firestone Wilderness (yes, those), Goodyear Wrangler RT/S, Goodyear Eagle RS-A, various BFGoodrich tires. All were perfectly appropriate and I had no issues with any of them.

Automakers are kind of in a quandary. People currently want trucks and SUVs. 95% of those buyers will never take them off-road. If automakers put all-terrains on them, then potential buyers might be put-off by the ride and road noise during a test drive. So they choose a tire appropriate for 95% of buyers and go with an on-road, all season tire. The 5% that buy to drive off-road will most likely upgrade the tires anyway when they do suspension upgrades or whatever else.

The Hellcat will roast any tire. It is no secret that tire grip is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome when launching a Hellcat. Ultra high performance tires help, but not totally. Around here, we have several owners that daily their Hellcats even in the winter. Some run all-seasons, and I have even seen some with winter tires.

The ideal scenario is that a buyer negotiates different tires as part of the purchase if the OEM tires simply do not meet their needs. Most dealers will do this (some will charge accordingly...some will do an even swap depending on the alternative tire being requested.)

CAFE CAFE CAFE

The manufactures need to eek out a extra mpg for the EPA test. Look at the Toyota Rav4 TRD. It comes with Falken WildPeaks that have a tread depth of 8mm. The real Falken WildPeaks have 12mm tread depth. It might have the same name but it’s not the same tire.

Every car I've bought new had crap OEM tires. Spanning Honda, Lexus, Mazda, Subaru. They have poor traction and high noise, and last about 3 years, just long enough to avoid warranty replacement.
Nice to see that Vipers have Kumho V720. Back in the day we used to autocross on V700, I thought it was an improvement over the BFG R1.

CAFE CAFE CAFE

The manufactures need to eek out a extra mpg for the EPA test. Look at the Toyota Rav4 TRD. It comes with Falken WildPeaks that have a tread depth of 8mm. The real Falken WildPeaks have 12mm tread depth. It might have the same name but it’s not the same tire.

11/32" is about 8.7mm.

Yes, Falken makes other wildpeak branded tires, but you're comparing apples to oranges

The Non-TRD RAV4 trims gets more eco-minded street tires instead of a A/T tire.

My experience has been bad enough with OEM tires that with my most recent car (22 4Runner) I had the dealer remove the OEM tires and put Michelins on before I even picked it up.

Toyota particularly seems to put awful tires on OEM. Which is strange because the rest of their cars are so good. Ford seems to generally put good tires on new cars, I had a Taurus and an Escape that came with Michelin Primacy.
Our 2021 4Runner came with Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts. Not excellent in the rain, but, then, I’ve also been used to the Michelin LTX on my Tacoma for the past nearly 200,000 miles, which are one of the best rain performance all-seasons out there.

Other than the lackluster highway standing water dissipation capabilities of the Dueler H/T, I don’t have any complaints with it.

Like half ton trucks with P-rated tires.
Oh... it is worse than that.

My 2017 Sierra 1500 4x4 with the Max Trailering package and 20" wheels, came from the factory in Fort Wayne with Goodyear Eagle LS2's.

Goodyear describes it as a 'Performance tire' with 'confident cornering'. Just what I need when pulling a 30 foot travel trailer.

I suppose I should replace at least two of those tires before going into winter..... :(

A Hellcat or Demon doesn't come with (cheater) slicks on it in AZ? Those cars really have no business being driven in rain or snow anyway, use the other car or truck for that. Even my brother managed to take out a light post on a local interstate with his (much more underpowered) '94 302 Cobra in a light rain, and he drives for a living & races dirt track. Some cars just are not meant for anything other than nice weather (AZ has lots of that, although a little warm).

My 2017 Sierra 1500 4x4 with the Max Trailering package and 20" wheels, came from the factory in Fort Wayne with Goodyear Eagle LS2's.

Goodyear describes it as a 'Performance tire' with 'confident cornering'. Just what I need when pulling a 30 foot travel trailer.

I suppose I should replace at least two of those tires before going into winter..... :(
The xB came with the Eagle LS (ones) on it-they were so bad in rain that I replaced them & gave them away by 10K miles.

Every car I've bought new had crap OEM tires. Spanning Honda, Lexus, Mazda, Subaru. They have poor traction and high noise, and last about 3 years, just long enough to avoid warranty replacement.
Nice to see that Vipers have Kumho V720. Back in the day we used to autocross on V700, I thought it was an improvement over the BFG R1.
I've had the same experience with OEM tires until now . The Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT on my 2016 Colorado 2wd V6 are still going strong at 63k, good grip, low noise and 4.5/32 tread remaining.

Like half ton trucks with P-rated tires.
Lots of good P-rated tires available for 1/2 tons that are more than capable of handling the weight rating for the truck. I'm not sure what the obsession is with using LT tires on 1/2 tons and SUV's when the OEM's and the tire manufacturers both suggest P-Metric tires for ride quality and adequate load carrying capacity.

E-rated LT tires on a 1/2 ton are like putting Pilot Super Sport's on a Yaris. The vehicle lacks the characteristics to make that choice practical, let alone necessary. This is particularly germane relative to the typical usage profile of the vehicles in question. The vast majority of Yaris owners aren't hot lapping them at Laguna Seca, just like the vast majority of SUV and 1/2 ton owner's aren't trying to crawl Moab. I won't mention vastly exceeding the load carrying capacity of the vehicle because of course that's just stupid.

Now, CRAPPY P-metric tires on 1/2 tons and SUV's is an issue. The tires that came on our 1500 were total garbage with poor tread life and horrific wet weather performance. Swapping those out for a Michelin Defender LTX or the Continental tires we ended up going with was a massive improvement.

On top of decreasing ride quality, most people putting LT tires on their 1/2 ton or SUV have no idea how to properly determine tire pressure, so are often running them at placard, meaning the tire actually has LESS carrying capacity than the P-Metric the vehicle spec'd, OR, they run sidewall, which makes their vehicle ride like a lumber wagon.

275/60/20 Nitto EXO all round would be my pick

Back