In shock at the asking price of single family homes in no growth, low density areas

respectfully and honestly, i wonder about this rule of thumb sometimes. good medical care for all persons is useful of course and can be found routinely in much of north america. if senior-specific care means an ever-increasing daily doseage of pills to combat a poor lifestyle choices (or sadly poor genetics), endless procedures to futilely reverse the tide of old age and a final home that is easily locked down into a golden prison because of a flu, living where i only see folks nearing our inevitable end, no thank you. i learned from my mom’s several year decline and demise a year ago, and won’t be following her example.

more important than senior-specific medical care imho is a place & climate that encourages one to get outdoors for regular exercise, offers some intellectual stimulation (even a decent library), and convenient transportation links (highway, air, even rail) to avoid isolation & see loved ones.
IMO access to research hospitals is key for seniors.
Push for pills etc. that you mention are more present in lower tier HC.

Wait till you see your homeowners insurance renewal..... Mine for the year went up by 200.00 bucks.....thats with no claims....Due to inflation and the higher cost of rebuilding supplies....

The requirement for $100K salaries and a $300K decent home (if I understand your requirements) may not exist in all that many places. Plenty of places with one or the other.

Reactions: JTK
respectfully and honestly, i wonder about this rule of thumb sometimes. good medical care for all persons is useful of course and can be found routinely in much of north america. if senior-specific care means an ever-increasing daily doseage of pills to combat a poor lifestyle choices (or sadly poor genetics), endless procedures to futilely reverse the tide of old age and a final home that is easily locked down into a golden prison because of a flu, living where i only see folks nearing our inevitable end, no thank you. i learned from my mom’s several year decline and demise a year ago, and won’t be following her example.

more important than senior-specific medical care imho is a place & climate that encourages one to get outdoors for regular exercise, offers some intellectual stimulation (even a decent library), and convenient transportation links (highway, air, even rail) to avoid isolation & see loved ones.
North America is obviously very broad as well as the term medical care. Seniors can require access to special forms of care and more importantly physical therapy. Having to spend a long time in the car to reach these areas can act as a disincentive in itself.

Prices in FL are also insane. I've seen $1.9 million dollar homes, and I'd maybe give you on a good day, $250k. They're 60 years old with mold, leaking roofs, and old Brady Bunch paneling and crank windows.

I understand that you want something cheaper. Also, those areas do not have growth, hence, no one is building. So current inventory is shrinking and prices are going up.
But, IMO these are things you really have to consider.
1. As @BMWTurboDzl mentioned, look for areas with good healthcare. My In laws purchased condo in Colorado Springs last year although they officially live in Las Vegas. Reason? They want to spend summers here and healthcare. In St. George etc. you will not have access to research hospitals which are doing top notch care.
2. Colorado is expensive, but it is growing like crazy which means building, and Front Range has better climate than Utah. Why not Pueblo, CO? Prices are not on par with Colorado Springs, Denver or Ft. Collins, and you are less than an hour from big UC Health hospitals in Colorado Springs, and two hrs from Denver. Not to mention that the Front Range has everything that one needs when it comes to infrastructure, services, etc. There are also some towns in CO like Trinidad, Walsenburg, or the West Slope side like Grand Junction that are more affordable.
3. Winters in the Front Range are mild, and MUCH better than MO, OK, etc. We have more sunny days then Florida, and while Pueblo is bit warmer than the rest of the Front Range, you might have only 3-4 days where temperature creeps in 100's, and in winter during the day rarely drops below 40.
I am not sure how research hospitals provide "routine care/operations" better than the Intermountain Healthcare Hospital that's in St. George. I have had care in the same hospital system in the Salt Lake Valley and have received exceptional experiences. Now-if you are talking cancer or some other very serious disease-that's is a different topic. But as you are probably aware-there are PLENTY of "more mature" people that live in St. George with medical issues that receive great care. This is a mute point however as St. George is not in GONS budget.

I understand that you want something cheaper. Also, those areas do not have growth, hence, no one is building. So current inventory is shrinking and prices are going up.
But, IMO these are things you really have to consider.
1. As @BMWTurboDzl mentioned, look for areas with good healthcare. My In laws purchased condo in Colorado Springs last year although they officially live in Las Vegas. Reason? They want to spend summers here and healthcare. In St. George etc. you will not have access to research hospitals which are doing top notch care.
2. Colorado is expensive, but it is growing like crazy which means building, and Front Range has better climate than Utah. Why not Pueblo, CO? Prices are not on par with Colorado Springs, Denver or Ft. Collins, and you are less than an hour from big UC Health hospitals in Colorado Springs, and two hrs from Denver. Not to mention that the Front Range has everything that one needs when it comes to infrastructure, services, etc. There are also some towns in CO like Trinidad, Walsenburg, or the West Slope side like Grand Junction that are more affordable.
3. Winters in the Front Range are mild, and MUCH better than MO, OK, etc. We have more sunny days then Florida, and while Pueblo is bit warmer than the rest of the Front Range, you might have only 3-4 days where temperature creeps in 100's, and in winter during the day rarely drops below 40.
ED,

Thanks. Colorado Springs may be in our future. I like Pueblo and am sure I can find a acre or so lot and make things work. We don't have kids on school, so choices become broader. My Wife brought up Pueblo a few weeks ago and I said "you bet babe", having been to Pueblo a few times and knowing she would veto it.

When my Wife researched Pueblo she discovered the annual tarantula migration. That made Pueblo a no go.

The reason we are not strongly pursuing Colorado is recreational drugs. A friend of mine is a retired Marine. Years ago he moved to Colorado from Tennessee so he could smoke marijuana in peace to help with whatever he needs help with. His Wife and him live on a small basic ranch 120 miles southwest of Colorado Springs. As the recreational drug usage in Colorado boomed, so did a lot of crime in areas like his. A major increase in crime. He states this is directly due to recreational drug usage. He no longer feels safe. We want to avoid the recreational drug concern, even if it is a erroneous perception on my part.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback.

The market is insane right now. It says my house, which is a generic tract home built in 1967/8 that my grandparents bought for $32K in 1968, is worth $1,362,600. A single story house around the corner from me just sold for $1.4M. These are just regular tract houses built in the 60s.

ED,

Thanks. Colorado Springs may be in our future. I like Pueblo and am sure I can find a acre or so lot and make things work. We don't have kids on school, so choices become broader. My Wife brought up Pueblo a few weeks ago and I said "you bet babe", having been to Pueblo a few times and knowing she would veto it.

When my Wife researched Pueblo she discovered the annual tarantula migration. That made Pueblo a no go.

The reason we are not strongly pursuing Colorado is recreational drugs. A friend of mine is a retired Marine. Years ago he moved to Colorado from Tennessee so he could smoke marijuana in peace to help with whatever he needs help with. His Wife and him live on a small basic ranch 120 miles southwest of Colorado Springs. As the recreational drug usage in Colorado boomed, so did a lot of crime in areas like his. A major increase in crime. He states this is directly due to recreational drug usage. He no longer feels safe. We want to avoid the recreational drug concern, even if it is a erroneous perception on my part.

Thanks again for the excellent feedbac recreational drug use and crime has gone up no no no that's not what I heard . I heard it's all a positive and it brings in taxes and tourism . Hey man you got a buck so I can get a joint .

ED,

Thanks again for the excellent feedback.
Please, your friend is seriously exaggerating things.
I work with law enforcement and my colleagues do crime mapping for CSPD.
Every city has a right to ban sale of recreational marijuana like Colorado Springs did. But let me tell you, it was not smart move as people get it from other bordering towns and COS doesn’t get taxes. Usage of hard drugs went down bcs. of that.
Also, COS is capitol of specialized medical marijuana like “Charlotte web” etc. We have more than 10,000 “medical” refugees from US. Those are people who mostly have kids with epi attacks etc. Bcs. marijuana cannot be mailed and those states back then did allow it, people moved here. There are some really good documentaries about it. Kids who were basically catatonic bcs. drugs they were on are now going to school.

As for tarantulas, it is marketing. They live mostly in Trinidad area far from houses. They migrate only in certain areas. But they marketing that so they attract tourists. You can find those tarantulas in TX, NM, OK.

I am not sure how research hospitals provide "routine care/operations" better than the Intermountain Healthcare Hospital that's in St. George. I have had care in the same hospital system in the Salt Lake Valley and have received exceptional experiences. Now-if you are talking cancer or some other very serious disease-that's is a different topic. But as you are probably aware-there are PLENTY of "more mature" people that live in St. George with medical issues that receive great care. This is a mute point however as St. George is not in GONS budget.
Yes, I am talking more serious stuff that seniors are most vulnerable to.
Just bcs. there are a lot of seniors living in St. George, doesn’t mean it is great HC.
My wife is in medical field working fir huge research hospital in SoCal. When things get serious, what do you think where people end up? Problem is that if you don’t live close to them, access might be restricted.

Yes, I am talking more serious stuff that seniors are most vulnerable to.
Just bcs. there are a lot of seniors living in St. George, doesn’t mean it is great HC.
My wife is in medical field working fir huge research hospital in SoCal. When things get serious, what do you think where people end up? Problem is that if you don’t live close to them, access might be restricted.
First of all-there is good health care in St. George. Yes-if you have cancer you end up at Hunstman in Salt Lake city. But many Seniors live out their life with just "normal type health care issues" that come along with age -that don't require a "research hospital.

How are residents of this area affording 500k plus for a home? Not sure if this is a bubble, or the new norm. Maybe inflation/ cost of materials will significantly rise the price of all homes in the USA, regardless of location?
People are starting to work from home all over the world, 2 years already. If you can run a company working from home for 2 years without going out of business, you will likely be able to do it for another 5-10.

So those guys are moving to low cost area if they are not getting a pay raise, and those are the ones buying up these homes.

Reactions: GON
The sad reality is that new homes aren't being constructed to keep pace with the growing population.
Unfortunately, apartments are what many developers would rather build because it offers more profit.

New apartments have popped up and will continue to pop up making more and more of the population renters as the population grows.

New, small affordable homes like a 1400 SF 3 bedroom ranch in a residential neighborhood are no longer being built.

Nobody in their right mind would build a 1400 sqft ranch unless it is in a high cost of living area with restriction on size. The cost of 1400 sqft is not that much lower than 2000 or something even bigger, but the selling price per sqft is that much less. In large area from older commercial plot they might as well build condos or apartments.

Condos don't make people renters, so it is not really a problem at all.

It's not only the developers, but also the levels of government that also want the larger homes for more taxation. We built our second home in 1989 and no builder was interested in a one level 1800 sqft home with an attached 1000 sq ft garage. I had to be my own general contractor. My wife liked St George years ago before the high density growth happened.

Look at those "Victorian" houses, those "Mid Century" houses, and then compare to the Ranch and Spanish later on, and tell me which ones fit today's lifestyle better? The fact is people want more space to work from home, to park their cars, to garden, to insulate the noise, the smell, the temperature from each other and their neighbors. 1400 may work back when kids are playing on the street, old people sit at the front porch, no TV, no computer, no massive kitchen with all sorts of gadgets, no freezers, etc. Today's lifestyle requires a lot more space to meet most people's demand.

Last edited:
Prices are staggering, and absolutely destroying the middle and lower classes and anyone on fixed income (such as retirees, those on disability, etc.). If you don't own a home, you are being destroyed financially. If you do, you are simply keeping pace and that "equity" is value only in as much as you can shift from one place to another - if you can. Or cash out and try to find a cheaper region, which are disappearing.

My good friend built a house last year, and building materials drove his entire costs up something like 30% from the prior year. I've been stuck in a rental for 2 years throwing money away watching the market soar, paralyzed between two bad decisions hoping for a burst, but getting eaten alive at both ends renting, and watching home prices soar out of reach. I talk to friends around the nation and it's the same in every state. ****box dumps that were $50k or less and barely livable are $200k. Anything in a remotely welcoming area, sufficient for a small family, starts at $300k in "normal" parts of the nation and quickly get into the high 8 figures if it's at all desirable or quality.

And this has largely occurred since the big events of 2020. There's little explanation other than things directly related to things we are not able to discuss. But the blame should be obvious to anyone with a pulse why the middle and lower class are being gutted.

Last edited:
Nobody in their right mind would build a 1400 sqft ranch unless it is in a high cost of living area with restriction on size. The cost of 1400 sqft is not that much lower than 2000 or something even bigger, but the selling price per sqft is that much less. In large area from older commercial plot they might as well build condos or apartments.

Condos don't make people renters, so it is not really a problem at all.

And that’s the problem. There is a demand for starter homes but nobody is building them. That pushes those buyers into renting which is spurring the building of apartments.

On top of that many metropolitan areas are changing zoning and density requirements so that forces builders to build apartments or townhomes on zero lot line properties.

And that’s the problem. There is a demand for starter homes but nobody is building them. That pushes those buyers into renting which is spurring the building of apartments.
There is demand in condos, but not new 1400 sqft house that cost just slightly less than 2000 sqft. The price is not going to work if they only want 14/20 of the price.

Prices are staggering, and absolutely destroying the middle and lower classes and anyone on fixed income (such as retirees, those on disability, etc.). If you don't own a home, you are being destroyed financially. If you do, you are simply keeping pace and that "equity" is value only in as much as you can shift from one place to another - if you can. Or cash out and try to find a cheaper region, which are disappearing.

There's little explanation other than things directly related to things we are not able to discuss. But the blame should be obvious to anyone with a pulse why the middle and lower class are being gutted.
Low interest rate is a tax on the people who couldn't borrow to invest, this is a universal problem across the world. We were lucky we have 50% of the printed money and debt (financially they are pretty much the same thing) circulating outside the US. Japan has it worse taking in all our excess debt and money now that we pissed off China and Russia and they no longer lend us much.

The market is insane right now. It says my house, which is a generic tract home built in 1967/8 that my grandparents bought for $32K in 1968, is worth $1,362,600. A single story house around the corner from me just sold for $1.4M. These are just regular tract houses built in the 60s.
Your grandparents' Santa Barbara was not the same as your Santa Barbara. It was probably much more rural instead of a coastal high demand nice to live in town before all the people move in and develop it. People don't live in Santa Barbara and "work from home" to LA or San Francisco back then like they are doing now.

Silicon Valley was just vegetable patch in the past too, but if you are expecting in 2021 we are still pricing it so the farmers are still able to afford living here, I'm sure it is not going to happen.

Townhouses are going for that around here.

Back