In general do you get what you pay for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a direct correlation between cost and quality of motor oils?

If you were to pick motor oils of the shelf at Wally World would the most expensive (dino) choices be the best oils?

There is not always a correlation between price and quality of motor oil. For example, Chevron Supreme is one of the best dino oils and you can sometime get it for $1/quart. Also, GC cost the same as many synthetics but often performs better.

No. When you have great oils like Motorcraft selling for under $1.50 and several group 3's selling for almost $5, there is no direct relationship between cost and quality. Bargains are to be had by knowledgable customers.

In some aspects YES over the spectrum of all oils.

For sure Group III means nothing to JQ Public, therefore the marketeers will use a non-sensical wide range of prices.

However Grp I and II base stocks are cheaper, and this is reflected in the price....

As for your second question, no the most expensive isn't better than the on sale stuff. But the Pennzoil tends to be a good dino and it usually is on the higher price end..........

Sometimes it's the marketing that drives up the price of the oil. Valvoline oil costs about 1.60 a quart at the parts store whereas Carquest and NAPA store brands cost a little over a buck a quart. This oil is exactly the same. Only thing different is the bottles.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Sometimes it's the marketing that drives up the price of the oil. Valvoline oil costs about 1.60 a quart at the parts store whereas Carquest and NAPA store brands cost a little over a buck a quart. This oil is exactly the same. Only thing different is the bottles.
cheers.gif

When I called NAPA for tech data on their synthetic oil I was told to call an 800 number, which happened to be Valvoline's tech line. The data they gave me for the NAPA synthetic oil differed some from the Valvoline Synpower. I asked them if the oils were the same and they said they are different. But, perhaps not much different. But I could not resist buying the NAPA synthetic (assume Gp III) on sale a couple months ago at $2.69 a quart. Not a bad price for Gp III, considering that is the retail price of Valvoline Durablend in many stores.

No, especially not at Wally's. The price of Pennzoil and Castrol varies drastically at different times and different locations, in relation to each other. Both are similar quality.

Retail pricing doesn't mean much. You would have to know the actual production costs, but even then, some companies are more efficient than others in controlling cost.

Guess I should have phrased the question, "What's the best and worst buys in motor oils?"

I'm gathering Chevron Supreme and Motorcraft are good values.

quote:

Originally posted by 05corollaLE:
Guess I should have phrased the question, "What's the best and worst buys in motor oils?"

I'm gathering Chevron Supreme and Motorcraft are good values.

Yes, Motorcraft and Chevron are great values, as well as Havoline. A poor value in my opinion is a group 3 oil priced similar as a group 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back