Improving Work Car's Paint - Bad Clear Coat, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I "inherited" my younger son's car that he used in college because he got something else. It is a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R, with 2.5L and automatic. We are the second owners; the original owner bought it new in central Florida and it stayed there until 2012. Because of that, and its color "Envy", a dark blue-green, the clearcoat is practically gone on all horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk lid, spoiler) and top edges of doors and bumpers. Overall, it's still a decent car, at least for work purposes for me. I just want to improve the paint with some sort of sealer / polish / wax, so from a 20/20 viewpoint (20 mph and 20 feet away), it doesn't look so horrible. Years ago I used a product with a name like "One Touch" or similar, that cleaned up (or blended in) hazy or chipping clearcoat and left a decent shine. It was applied with a dense foam sponge. I guess I would like to find something similar that can be hand-applied; I don't own a buffer and have no desire to get one. I have about half a bottle of Zymol (about 10 years old), but I don't think that's what I need. Thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Once the clear coat starts to go in large patches like that, there is nothing left to do but wish it a "vaya con dios"

Yep - and I would either learn to live with it or spend the time and $$$ for a respray.

There's no beating OEM paint since it's robotically applied right after the corrosion control steps. And it's baked on at higher temperatures than a body shop's spray booth will ever see. Japanese paint was never as good as German paint and an quality refinish paint does beat Japanese OEM paint for durability.

If it’s gonna be a beater car but you want it to look descent, take it to Maaco or Earl Schieb for their $249 special and spray it the same color. Should last another year or 2

use 3m pads and rough up all the paint. It will be uniform and cost less than a respray with paint cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back