Impressive Results so far : LS1 and LMOS

Hey there,

Been fitting a slow weep from rear cover gasket, oil pan on my 2002, 228,000KM LS1 in my Trans-Am.

I (before prepping for winter madness to replace oil pan gasket and rear main cover) tried :

LM High Tech 5w40
LM MOS2
LM Motor oil saver

So far I've driven 1700KM and I've went from pic with red circles, this was after approx. 60Km drive

To (this is after 160Km drive)

Its been just having a slow residue build (oil pan stuff is dry fully) but on rear bellhousing bolt area, this is first time its bone dry. I suspect leak has been massively slowed, if not stopped. I monitor each drive cycle and document, then give it a quick wipe to start fresh.

But good results so far!

IMG_3268.JPEG

IMG_3261.JPEG

Cool. I have to say I probably would not have worried too much about the initial leak...if my car isn't leaving any evidence on the ground, I tend to tolerate slow weeps.

Ya, it was just bummer as I have sorted everything on this car, but the amount of work to do both the things required I thought I'd give this a go. Impressed this far, I'll run this concoction for the full OCI, then I will go back to my M1 0w40 and use the MOS every other oil change (once every 2 years)

Nice
Liqui moly has great products.

I put some mos2 in my mother's Toyota after an oil change...I did not tell her.....within a few days she asked what I did because her engine feels totally different.

It's the real deal.

That’s very impressive. The leak wasn’t too bad but it’s nice and dry. The first two leaks were the probably the pan gasket. If that third one came out high at the back came from up high, yes, it was the rear cover gasket. Good job.

Hey there,

Been fitting a slow weep from rear cover gasket, oil pan on my 2002, 228,000KM LS1 in my Trans-Am.

I (before prepping for winter madness to replace oil pan gasket and rear main cover) tried :

LM High Tech 5w40
LM MOS2
LM Motor oil saver

So far I've driven 1700KM and I've went from pic with red circles, this was after approx. 60Km drive

To (this is after 160Km drive)

Its been just having a slow residue build (oil pan stuff is dry fully) but on rear bellhousing bolt area, this is first time its bone dry. I suspect leak has been massively slowed, if not stopped. I monitor each drive cycle and document, then give it a quick wipe to start fresh.

But good results so far!

View attachment 224349

View attachment 224350
Is this a valve cover gasket or an elastomeric seal?

Here some info I posted previously;

"When discussing seals such as in engines, transmissions, and other driveline components, the context is that of using flexible, elastomeric materials to keep fluids contained within the mechanical system that have rotating components exiting the system, such as protruding rotating shafts.

For a gasket, the context is that of using a material (such as silicone or cork or composite), or some other material to keep fluids contained in and around stationary objects, such as the valve cover gasket on an engine or the pan gasket on an automatic transmission.

Both seals and gaskets "prevent" loss of fluids.

Conditioning seals (not Gaskets) refers to the following actions:
1) Increasing seal pliability due to molecular replacement of the Seal 's elastomer,
2) Seal Swell (slight expansion of elastomer due to slight increase in seal dimensions)
3) Seal cleaning,

Since 1974, formulations have pretty much solved the seal "shrink-swell" problem.

Stop leak fluids have little effect on Gaskets, so if you have a leak to the outside, it is usually due to a Gasket, not a Seal.

Now on older vehicles or vehicles with rear wheel drives, the most common fluid leak occurs because of a worn transmision tailshaft seal or rear engine seal, and is mostly seen when parking on an upslope where the rear of the vehicle is below the front.

On front wheel drive vehicles, the most common fluid leak is due to the pan gasket, in my experience."

Back