Impressed with Wix construction, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never looked closely at a Wix before today. O'Reilly's has a very nice selection of them here, so I thought I'd check it out. I've been a dedicated PureOne user for a long time, and as I understand the numbers, the P1 is about as good as one can get without jumping to a whole new level in terms of money. But the Wix is not all that far behind, and I was thoroughly impressed with the look of its construction. It just seems (SEEMS, mind you, because I don't know enough to say with certainty) better designed and more solidly built than the P1 for my Honda, for which OC time is rapidly approaching.

So the question is, if the Wix is indeed better designed and built, under what circumstances would that come into play and possibly trump the somewhat better filtration abilities (as I understand it at least) of the P1?

I realize of course that this is a hair splitting type question, that my car will probably not suffer either way. I just wonder what criteria you all would use to choose between them, and your reasoning for those criteria.

Wix oil filters are A-OK in my book, even though lately I've stocked up on cheap Purolator-made house brands.

Like many other things in life, an oil filter is a balancing act. I think Wix has struck the best balance of features of any of the big mass market filters; strong thick shell, silicon anti-drainback valve, threaded-end bypass, good filtration, & high capacity. I've used several Wix 51085 filters on my Neon in the past, and also a couple of Purolator Pure One PL14670 filters. On my car, the Pure Ones produced a little valve noise at the day's first start-up. The valve train(a 2.0 L DOHC 4-cyl) was quiet with the Wix. I've always thought it was because the Wix was less restrictive than the Pure One, though I can't prove it.

So, for about the same price as the Pure One, why not try a Wix at your next oil change? The fact that you're curious is reason enough.
cheers.gif

And yes, we're splitting the very finest of hairs here. Both are excellent filters, & especially from a wear standpoint, your car will never know the difference.
wink.gif

My concern with the WIX filter is it's efficiency,which is lower than a Purolator Premium Plus. Great construction but high capacity = low efficiency. Is it stopping enough dirt?

vwalburn, That essentially gets to the meat of my question. Wix does enjoy a very good reputation here and elsewhere, though, so I assume it can't be "bad," just not as good as the P1. I don't recall the numbers for the Premium Plus. Is that reputation solely based on the quality of the construction, though? Probably not. I don't travel dirt roads, and the pollen season is over, plus it's almost time for the annual summer trip, so perhaps the Wix's higher capacity is reason enough until the next change at least?

I think I'll try it, unless someone steps in here soon to disuade me.

Greaser, I saw a picture of a cut open Baldwin some time ago, so I know what you mean, but I can't get them without mail ordering.

Alcibiades, Go to baldwinfilter.com .Put in your zip code and it will tell you the nearest store that has them..My opinion is they are better than purolator.. I Know Greaser is a fan, after cutting one open so am I...

Thanks for all the responses.

Anyone know the Baldwin part number cross referenced to Purolator 14610 for a Honda?

There are a couple of stores sort of near here that carry Baldwins, but I want to call to see if they stock what I need before going for a look.

Red Dog, when you say Baldwins are better than Purolator, what do you mean? Do they catch more smaller particles without being any more restrictive? Are you refering to the construction quality? Both?

Alcibiades Cross referance for L14610 to Baldwin should be a B1402, I think the construction is better, as far as particle size and restriction , I couldnt really say, Maybe some of the more experienced members can help us out.

Looking at the bypass pressure settings for the filters mentioned, I see that Baldwin is 14, P1 is 14-18, but Wix is 8-11.

Why the difference? What harm could the lower pressure of the Wix cause?

Yet more 2nd thoughts.
banghead.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back