Impact gun CF per burst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Any estimates for a good, high torque impact gun (like an IR) how many CF are used per burst?

I think they are rated at, say, 7-10 CFM at 90 PSI, but one doesnt fire the gun for a minute straight when doing five lugs on a tire... It is maybe 5 seconds or 10 seconds each... Is that a good rule of thumb?

But Ive never actually timed it, so I dont really know.

Any estimates?

Thanks!

At least a 20 gallon tank, closer to 30 would do you better.

I bought one thinking that my 3 gallon 2hp job would work. I was wrong. You get half a second of good torque then almost nothing.

I then decided to buy an electric impact because it did not. I'm actually impressed with the one I picked up from Craftsman. Shop around and you can probably get a deal.

I have a great IR electric cordless and a Milwaukee corded. It was more for general interest... Thanks!

I've run my impact gun well beyond the duty cycle of a 2 hp 120V 15 amp compressor. Driving lag screws for a woodshed was a nice workout.
lol.gif

I sometimes wonder about air tools, seems like sound and fury doing nearly nothing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I sometimes wonder about air tools, seems like sound and fury doing nearly nothing.

Plain and simple, they save time. And lots of it. And for auto mechanics, time equals money.

My 1/2 Impact guns (IR,MAC and a HF Earthquake) will bust a lugnut loose as soon as I pull the trigger. I used my IR231 to bust the lugnuts on my Peterbilt off at home with only a 20gallon tank. I was able to get 5 off then wait for the compressor to catch back up.

IMO a 1/2 impact does not use a lot of air considering the power it puts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back