I'm thinking of buying a used Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred: I've already admitted that I posted in the wrong forum but you seem intent on denying that some Hondas have issues. It is obvious that many other posters are more knowledgeable of these issues than you are and they are willing to share that knowledge. I don't know if you are some kind of BITOG policeman or what but if you don't have anything to add you can always ignore the post.

I've had three and believe they are the best small car you can buy. Reliability and resale value. Way better than a Mazda, Nissan or anything else.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Fred: I realize that I posted in the wrong forum but I think your last, curt sentence is a little off base considering that there are many forums (even humor) on BITOG. And while I know that the Civic is a good small car (hence my interest in buying one) you are off base again when you state "great trans" because apparently certain years have automatic transmission issues.

Not a CURT statement, just a fact. This is an oil forum, not a Honda Civic forum. There isn't even an oil reference. If your realize you posted in the wrong area, then post it on a Honda Civic forum. And the Civics have probably less Trans and engine issues than most if not all other cars. Certainly someone is going to have an issue, but all the while recognize that the Civic trans is very good, just change the trans oil every 50K.

I believe you can find other cars that will give you the same reliability as a Honda (as long as you take care of it), but for less money.

Because Honda's hold their value so well, it makes buying a used one more expensive. For the same amount of cash, you can buy a newer Mazda, Nissan, (much) newer Hyundai or Kia compared to a Honda or Toyota.

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
I believe you can find other cars that will give you the same reliability as a Honda (as long as you take care of it), but for less money.

Because Honda's hold their value so well, it makes buying a used one more expensive. For the same amount of cash, you can buy a newer Mazda, Nissan, (much) newer Hyundai or Kia compared to a Honda or Toyota.

Yeah, actually although there might not too many people agree with me, IMHO, for the same year/mileage, honda/toyota may be slightly more reliable, but for the same money, they are the worst buy. And becaue of the engine sludge and transmission in late 90s and early 2000s, in those years certain models of these two can't be consider as reliable at all.

Go buy a used Cavalier instead. Much better value as it has taken a larger depreciation hit. The Cavilier has just as good an engine and a better auto tranny IMHO. My '93 Cavalier has over 250 K on the original unopened drivetrain and has not been "babied" in the least. Still runs strong. Very little maintenance except oil changes, and from a distance still looks new. OK yes there are some loose plastic pieces inside but hey its thirteen years old and had the snot driven out of it and the kids have taken their toll too. I have two "04 Cavaliers that are so far very solid in all respects. Either of the "04's can be coaxed into 38 MPG HWY or better with careful driving. Rickey

quote:

Originally posted by chromatin:

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:

Yeah, actually although there might not too many people agree with me, IMHO, for the same year/mileage, honda/toyota may be slightly more reliable, but for the same money, they are the worst buy. And becaue of the engine sludge and transmission in late 90s and early 2000s, in those years certain models of these two can't be consider as reliable at all.

Do you have documentation on sludge in Honda Civic's or Corolla's for that matter?

My Dads 2001 civic (coupe LX) required the following;

a Long block at 14k

A/C compressor at 31k

New radio at 34k (Honda did upgrade it to a better one when he got the replacement)

Some parts in the auto transaxle at 51k (out of warrenty)

Blower motor for heater - A/c unit around 70k (no warrenty)

And a loud knocking noise in the rear end from 91k when he sold it.

The new owner had to spend about $400 for new parts (don't know what they did) to fix that problem.

MPG went from 32mpg to around 40mpg. It always ran fine and nothing put him on the side of the road waiting for a tow so it got him around.

He would not buy another 1st year car.
thumbsdown.gif

No matter what brand...
spaz.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

A new engine block after 14k? Apparently Honda fixes their goofs on a day-by-day basis, not a model year basis. Mine was built in May 2001 and that sounds like a boatloat of issues for a solid reputation to be built on. I know that every manufacturer can have issues but geez, that wasn't a 70's car. It was 2001. I own the same exact car and haven't had any of that stuff happen. The sad thing about all your dad's problems is, you can't do a thing about them to maintain any issues like that. They happen due to defects.
I'm going to go pray to my "H" shrine now for future good luck!

I have an '01 EX with 140k miles. Only problem I've had was a bad tps sensor. Which requires a complete throttle body swap. Easy fix, but cost about $150 bucks if I remember right. That, and I had the timing belt changed at 100k miles.

Other then that, I haven't had any problems. Heck, I'm still running the factory battery. I do 5k oil changes, and 25k trans fluid changes. But didn't start the trans change until around 90k miles.

I always get more then 400 miles to the tank, have since day one, and milage hasn't changed a bit. So I'm getting around 38-40 mpg, depending on what kind of driving I'm doing. So, I've had a good experience with mine. Knock on wood!

Honda Civics are nice cars. Friend of mine has an 89 model and gets 44mpg with it - the outside looks nice (he waxes/washes it a lot). The only thing is that they cost so much!

Sister wanted a car - 2004 Honda Civic (38k miles) for $14,000. She went with a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire for $7000 with 14,000 mile.

So, you could get a Chevy for like half the price. All depends... To me, the 120hp engines inside the Civics are slow (8-12sec 0-60?). My 04 Sunfire (140hp) with manual trans clocked a 7.0sec 0-60. My drive to work includes a big hill - so that extra power is nice. I get 38MPG highway all the time. Yes, most Civics get 40mpg.
tongue.gif

All depends on your preferences - for a first car - I'd go with a Chevy or Pontiac as you'll find them much cheaper used. Some people don't like the look - all up to you
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Bill,

Tell us more about the "parts" replaced in the transmission.

Don't know.
dunno.gif

He was having problems with the car shifing from 1st out of 2nd and from 2nd into 3rd.

The overdrive (4th) and 3rd to 4th was ok.

They took the transmission out and did something. I don't know what parts...

They also broke the wire for the A/C clutch when they fixed the transmission. My dad had to make another trip (about 45 miles one way to the dealership) to get his A/C to turn on...
rolleyes.gif

Also, I think the long block could have been put in around 17k now that I think about it. (it's been some time... )

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back