Im in a really bad mood today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's useless posts like this (the original) that have caused me to spend less and less time on many forums that used to be focused and dedicated. Stuff like this degenerates/dilutes the forum into the likes of Facebook (which I have never joined) which has become a place where people endlessly spill random unimportant thoughts. (ie. "Just finished the dishes", "Going out to mow the lawn now", "I'm in a bad mood"....). Useless !

Perspective. Its all about perspective.

Cars are machines, built by human hands. The whole idea that "no one can figure out" the problem is absurd, because someone put it together in the first place.

And also, its an INEXPENSIVE car. Don't hold it to a higher standard than the people who designed it did! Its making a funny noise, but it may run 50,000 miles gladly making noise the whole time. If you want automotive perfection, save a few million and buy one of Jay Leno's Duesenbergs.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
Originally Posted By: John_K
What kind of car?

POS 01 Civic. Total turd. Get stressed out just driving and embarassed being seen in it.

What car would you not be embarrassed driving in? Same car suits my neighbor as his commuter car living in a $2.5M waterfront home with 6car/3port garage nicer and larger than the average house. It does have newspaper under it though since it would stain the tile in garage.

Ive had all the work done on mine already and all done properly. Trust me ive verified. Its just a rare problem that honestly no one can figure out. And there is nothing wrong with high end napa or wagner brake equipment. Why would you think that?

Exactly what was the work that has been done to the car?

Are the brakes making noise all the time while the car is rolling down the road, or only when you apply the brakes?

Is it coming from the front brakes or the rear brakes?
Is it coming from the left side or the right side?
Is it rear disc brakes, or drum brakes?
If its rear disc brakes, is the parking brake an internal drum (like on my old Nissan Altima), or is it the disc pad that is activated by a leaver (like on my Mazda RX-8 and my gf's Fiat 500).

Telling us you're angry at your car is one thing.
Telling us information that we can actually recommend fixes is another.

You really do need to spend less time getting angry, and more time figuring out solutions to problems you have control over.

This brake issue is a very easy thing for you to figure out, if you want to spend the time, and look at it logically.

If you know its the rear brakes, figure out which wheel it is that is making the noise, and under what conditions it makes the noise, and let us know, and we can help.

BC.

The only way I could be ebarassed by driving a commuter car is if it looked like this
Modifiye_Honda_Civic_Hatchback.jpg

I really enjoy driving my beat up looking, loud, middy Jeep! The brakes on it are noisy too. Not sure why but it still stops.

If I remember correctly, your car has rear drum brakes, right? Just convert it to rear discs. With the huge aftermarket support and enthusiast base Civics have, I'm SURE someone has done this before and made a complete how-to guide online, with pictures and everything. Do some Google-ing, buy some parts, and get wrenching.

When I had to deal with my ridiculous "captive" rotors on my Accord, and take it apart again after only 10k miles, I didn't drive it off a cliff or whine about it. I researched, found a great solution, bought new parts and fixed it. I now have a BETTER brake system that is 1000x easier to service and doesn't give me any more problems.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
If I remember correctly, your car has rear drum brakes, right? Just convert it to rear discs. With the huge aftermarket support and enthusiast base Civics have, I'm SURE someone has done this before and made a complete how-to guide online, with pictures and everything. Do some Google-ing, buy some parts, and get wrenching.

When I had to deal with my ridiculous "captive" rotors on my Accord, and take it apart again after only 10k miles, I didn't drive it off a cliff or whine about it. I researched, found a great solution, bought new parts and fixed it. I now have a BETTER brake system that is 1000x easier to service and doesn't give me any more problems.

...only problem is that he'll forget to install a new proportioning valve and agricultural excursions (ditching the car) will be a daily ocurrence... Well, on second thought, that would be one way to get rid of the car...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The only way I could be ebarassed by driving a commuter car is if it looked like this

I really enjoy driving my beat up looking, loud, middy Jeep! The brakes on it are noisy too. Not sure why but it still stops.

Aw come on, you don't drive a car like that.

You park it and blast dubstep with your hat on backwards saying "sup bro."

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Ive had all the work done on mine already and all done properly. Trust me ive verified. Its just a rare problem that honestly no one can figure out. And there is nothing wrong with high end napa or wagner brake equipment. Why would you think that?

Exactly what was the work that has been done to the car?

Are the brakes making noise all the time while the car is rolling down the road, or only when you apply the brakes?

Is it coming from the front brakes or the rear brakes?
Is it coming from the left side or the right side?
Is it rear disc brakes, or drum brakes?
If its rear disc brakes, is the parking brake an internal drum (like on my old Nissan Altima), or is it the disc pad that is activated by a leaver (like on my Mazda RX-8 and my gf's Fiat 500).

Telling us you're angry at your car is one thing.
Telling us information that we can actually recommend fixes is another.

You really do need to spend less time getting angry, and more time figuring out solutions to problems you have control over.

This brake issue is a very easy thing for you to figure out, if you want to spend the time, and look at it logically.

If you know its the rear brakes, figure out which wheel it is that is making the noise, and under what conditions it makes the noise, and let us know, and we can help.

BC.

Its coming from the rear brakes (drums and shoes), comes and goes from side to side. One month it can be the right side, next can be both, then both will go away during the winter and come back again in the summer with one side first.

Ive replaced every [censored] thing back there. Everything in the brake assembly has been replaced.

Right now currently its the right side as its just started getting loud again few weeks ago. And scary thing is, this isnt even the worst ive seen it. Last summer it was so loud you could hear it from 50ft away. During the winter its still hearable but very faint and doesnt bother me.

From what ive noticed from my year of monitoring and listening. It happens more when the brakes get hotter after car has been driven for awhile. And after it rains or when get car washed.

I do know one thing, on my car when you adjust the shoes from inside the drum using the star adjuster, it also tightens up the ebrake handle too. Cause i would have my shoes tightened then go in and notice my ebrake handle is a lot stiffer which is nice. So maybe it works the other way too

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Trust me i want to and would have already if it wasnt expensive. This is not something i would be capable of doing so with labour youre looking at $700-800 with parts. Theres a shop in town here who does it.

Originally Posted By: Gotch
This is starting to sound more like hub bearings than brakes

Hub bearings I was told would be all the time, mine is either really bad or really low. Like yesterday it was bad but today very minor compared to yesterday.. I basically would go on a dead completely quiet street and get the brakes nice and hot and let the car roll. But today I couldnt replicate the sound loud enough. I roll down my windows and stick my head out the driver side to see if its coming from there.

The sound is ALWAYS there, its just either really bad or really quiet, where id have to have nothing on in the car and be on a super quiet street with no traffic, to hear it.

Plus the hub bearings on now are only a year old. But when i had my hub bearings replaced, was told the old ones were dry inside (around where it spins) and needed lube.

Only thing i can think of is that the new hub is dry again. But that lube should last years without having to relube all the time. When i replaced the hub bearings the noise was gone but came back the day after.

But what tells me it isnt the shoes or drums is that when I had my rear brakes done (im talking everything, spring kit, wheel cylinders, drums etc). The noise was bad at the time but it immediately was gone after the brake job. But came back after 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Carnoobie,

How many miles does your car have?

159k KM which is like 101k miles.

Look at it this way. Cars are cars. I tend to get attached to my vehicles. Some vehicles will handle hundreds of thousands of km with no problems, others are problems on wheels from the outset. That can happen with any brand.

As with any relationship, when the pain exceeds the gratification, it's time to move on.
wink.gif

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of moving on from my old Audi. I just didn't have unlimited time to be working on it in the garage. I found parts cheap; I found it fairly easy to work on. I still had enough and had to move on.

Take some time and watch this video, especially at 6:10
But please watch the whole lecture when you can, it puts a lot of things in perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back