I'm glad I'm not into aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.
$28,000 tire:
ig1EeNW.jpg

$12,500 worth of exhaust:
CABTxXT.jpg

There is a lot of liability cost included in these prices. With just about any aviation accident the lawsuits quickly come out looking for $$, even when the fault is squarely on the pilot.

Read up on the 'Blitz Fuel Can Story', factory closed after 50 years in operation due in part to lawsuits after careless use of fuel. Just for grins look at all the warning labels on the side of a ladder.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
That's not a $28,000 tire. A complete new tire and wheel assembly with bearings maybe, but not just the tire.

+1

A Goodyear Flight Radial close to the size of the pictured tire is about $300.

The wheel is another story. Usually a wheel assembly the size of the pictured wheel would be around $15,000.

Unless you are talking about some special application, in that case the sky is the limit.

As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The high cost of parts yet the typical aviation mechanic gets paid slightly above minimum wage.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
$28,000 tire? Hope it has a 500,000,000 mile warranty

It does have a warrantee that long...as long as you don't land.

Yes I do. I was working at Western Piper Sales, Fresno, CA in 1995.

Minimum wage was $4.25 at the time. They were paying me $7.00.

The guys I know that work for airlines make $50k+ a year.

Sounds about right. Our DO was looking into getting an extra wheel/tire combo for our Pilatus PC12. $20k.

The Wheel assembly for our Gulfstream G550 cost us about $32,000. The old one had some serious corrosion on it. Mostly due to the harsh environment we operate in (islands and other coastal areas)

I know that's an outrageous price. But don't minimize it as "just a wheel", it's not a simple wheel.

First off, it's extremely tough. The aircraft weighs 90,000 pounds. And, all of that weight must be held by just 4 of these wheels. Main tire pressure, 207 PSI !!

Second, it must be able to handle overweight, 3G landings at 210MPH. If you did not know, those are INSANE levels of stress. FYI, that a slamming 67,500 pounds load per wheel, and 0 to 210MPH instantly.

Third, the wheel must apply all the braking forces of massive, stacked carbon disks (3 rotors, 4 stators) hauling that monster down at EXACTLY the tire's adhesion limit. The 10 brake drive tabs have amazing strength. Yes, the brakes/wheels get hot enough to light the tire on fire occasionally.

Fourth, it must be light and compact. Weight and space are critical items.

Fifth, it must be able to do this, over and over and over and over again. Without any risk to life, limb or property.

Guys, that's why this "so called" simple wheel is so expensive. It's an amazing piece of engineering and machining.

GV_beach_flyover_resize.jpg

Last edited:
So you are an A&P tech and you were working for $7 an hour?

The OP said "tire", that was the point.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Guys, that's why this "so called" simple wheel is so expensive. It's an amazing piece of engineering and machining.

The OP said "tire", that was the point.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

OK, my bad. Take my firstborn. Take her, please.

The average airplane in general aviation isn't going to have wheels that cost $28,000. You can actually build an airplane for under $28,000!

Just the airframe, or engine and avionics included?

Originally Posted By: Falcon21
The average airplane in general aviation isn't going to have wheels that cost $28,000. You can actually build an airplane for under $28,000!

Just the airframe, or engine and avionics included?

Depends on the airplane and the options you choose. If I remember correctly Sonex Aircraft advertises that you can build their Sonex complete for about $27,000. Their Onex is slightly cheaper and offers folding wings to store in tighter spaces. That is just one example, there are many other kits out there, some which you can even have flying for under $10,000!(Pietenpol) The more options you want and the more powerful engines can easily make the cost skyrocket.

There is also the option of buying a used aircraft. You can find a well used Cessna for under $20,000 for example. Age isn't necessarily a bad thing in airplanes, the Piper Cub I'm training in is from the forties!

I work in a spares parts building for a major aerospace company. Every day I work with parts that would astound the average person if they knew the prices. Extremely expensive. Equally astounding is the lack of care the shipping companies show when the parts they are moving can cost anywhere from a 'cheap' $5,000 box of plastic extrusions....to an electronic part costing over half a million dollars. UPS...FedEx...they all treat our parts no different than if they shipped from Kmart.
As for the aircraft mechanics getting paid "slightly" above minimum wage? That's a gross exaggeration at best and certainly not the case where I am employed. Try $60k to over $100k with overtime per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back