I'm glad I'm not into aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A major aerospace company in Washington state?
Can't begin to guess what company that might be, although we flew on one of their products last month.

Yeah, but I think you'd find most of B's spares warehouses around Seattle along with the majority of their assembly operations.

I worked avionics on heavy jets in the Air Force 40+ years ago-picked up some FCC licences from that. After I got out I picked up a couple of FAA licences(A+P). At that time the economy was bad and no hiring was happening in aviation. Some of my classmates worked in gas stations, ect waiting for better times and a job in general aviation or an airline. I moved on to an engineering career and eventually most of my fellow grads finally got their aviation employment. I kept in touch with some and the common thread was=The airline jobs were good paying often 'production line' type work that was not so fun and the union and old hands wanted the workers to just be seen 'moving' in their work, but slowly. The general aviation guys mostly loved their work and buzzed around in many interesting jobs, but felt poorly paid. I always thought it all rather strange. Hard to get the best of things sometimes! Dan Mpls. Mn.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Yeah, but I think you'd find most of B's spares warehouses around Seattle along with the majority of their assembly operations.

I meant it sarcastically. Most of us Boeing people that were employed with the company before the corporate move were very annoyed and ticked when they did it. It's a Seattle company. Started right here in 1916 I believe.
Anyway....guess I should have put a smiley face after my post.
We do have spares operations all over the place however...including many foreign countries.
http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/aviationservices/material-services/parts/gdn.page

Last edited:
I was starting to think that you didn't work for Boeing at all.
My bad.
I thought the headquarters move was kind of silly.
If Boeing's executive staff were still on the ground in the Seattle area, might the problems in the 787 development and launch have gotten serious attention and investment at an earlier date?
Boeing's always been a PNW company, as you've said.
Chicago?
Why?
Certainly not for the better climate, nor is Chicago exactly a world center of finance.
If that were what Boeing sought, they'd be headquartered on an island known as Manhattan.
The real reasons for this move remain a mystery to me.

Just be glad you don't own a submarine. Those parts are not any cheaper.

I don't know about anyone else in this thread, but some of the parts used on an airplane (or submarine) are a bargain at twice the price. You have to stop and think what they have to be able to handle and the amount of testing they go through before they can be used!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The high cost of parts yet the typical aviation mechanic gets paid slightly above minimum wage.

My best friend is an av body tech. She's looking forward to making $20, in Canada, once her SEVEN year apprenticeship is done.

And oh, she had to move across the country when Air Canada shut down her FIRST hangar.

My brother took roughly the same aviation course.

After two years looking for a job (kid's got a solid head on, and lots of good judgement in fixing stuff), he quit, and went back to school as a millwright. He realized that the only reason my female friend was likely hired was to meet federal "gender" quotas, because he took all the same courses, did substantially better than her in marks, etc.

He's now making $21, as a STARTING apprentice, jimmy-rigging stuff per the boss's orders, with zero personal liability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back