I’m getting old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice to also have paddle shifters or a manual mode. You get the best of both worlds. I liked the Subaru CVT, especially in the WRX in sport mode.

I'm 53 and still love manuals in a toy. Daily driver - not so much. My rarely driven 77 Corvette is auto. I've looked into what's involved to convert it to a manual. Have a BW Super T-10 I pulled from an 82 Z28 YEARS ago. Would be a perfect fit. I'd rather pull an engine than a dash tho - which has to come out to do this swap. So likely won't happen. No shame in wanting an auto at all!

Originally Posted By: buster
It's nice to also have paddle shifters or a manual mode. You get the best of both worlds. I liked the Subaru CVT, especially in the WRX in sport mode.

I use sport mode when pulling into traffic but that's it. I NEVER use the paddles.

I agree. A standard transmission is a novelty. There’s nothing worse than rush hour bumper to bumper traffic in a standard.

I rented a couple of manual transmission vehicles in Italy and England recently. It was great fun to drive a standard again even in London and Milan Traffic. At 47, I would opt for it in a toy (Midlife crisis vehicle).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I agree. A standard transmission is a novelty. There’s nothing worse than rush hour bumper to bumper traffic in a standard.

With proper gearing it isn't bad.

My Focus was awful in traffic. But the Subaru that replaced it can creep along nicely. My truck has a real granny gear and will crawl nicely and if it gets bad enough, there's always 2LO.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
A BMW with auto transmission would be a nice upgrade.
+1
BMW has the trans programming really well sorted out - some of the best I've seen, aside from Porsche.

The guys that programmed the trans in my SRT could certainly learn a thing or two from zee germans.

My lease is up in February and I am undecided if I want to lease again, purchase new or used for my next vehicle and if I am going for an auto or manual. - I just scored a state - county job working 1.8 miles from home. I had a 2014 Chevy Spark with a CVT and around 60k it started to develop issues Chevy had reprogrammed the computer, that did no fix the CVT with torque up and slip every now and then. Finally the wife decided to trade it in we still owed a few thousand on it Toyota bought the vehicle for their used inventory and put my wife into a Corolla. the Corolla has a CVT also - though I am no fan of the CVT's this one is a bit better and more refined doesn't feel like a go-kart. I'd hate to go for a new car with a CVT I rather a manual.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
My lease is up in February and I am undecided if I want to lease again, purchase new or used for my next vehicle and if I am going for an auto or manual. - I just scored a state - county job working 1.8 miles from home. I had a 2014 Chevy Spark with a CVT and around 60k it started to develop issues Chevy had reprogrammed the computer, that did no fix the CVT with torque up and slip every now and then. Finally the wife decided to trade it in we still owed a few thousand on it Toyota bought the vehicle for their used inventory and put my wife into a Corolla. the Corolla has a CVT also - though I am no fan of the CVT's this one is a bit better and more refined doesn't feel like a go-kart. I'd hate to go for a new car with a CVT I rather a manual.

Spark uses one of the smaller JATCO CVTs which are nothing but problems in Nissan products.

Have paddle shifters on my 2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ 3.6, didn't like them, engine would overrev between shifts
eek.gif

No Nissan for me unless it's a manual.

And the Versa Note SR isn't avail in stick - what a bummer.

I have that in both Mercedes, never use the feature. I drove a stick for 5 years too, don't miss it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

With proper gearing it isn't bad.

My Focus was awful in traffic. But the Subaru that replaced it can creep along nicely. My truck has a real granny gear and will crawl nicely and if it gets bad enough, there's always 2LO.

I agree that creeping ( idle in 1st or 2nd) and a bit of a buffer you wont be bumper to bumper.

I wouldn't work in a job that had me on the highway in bumper to bumper traffic daily.

My wife had that problem of New Hampshire to Wilmington, MA on route 495-S to I93-S 35 mile one way commute nightmare and she worked out a deal with the manager to work 5am- 2pm. She's been doing that for 25 years now
smile.gif

Good the versa is junk. Had one for a couple months. Terrible. Managers son had one for a couple months - terrible. Kid got squashed in his on the highway. He's OK. I traded mine in for a Rogue.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Good the versa is junk. Had one for a couple months. Terrible. Managers son had one for a couple months - terrible. Kid got squashed in his on the highway. He's OK. I traded mine in for a Rogue.

One of my son's former girlfriends flipped one over about 10 yrs ago and messed up her back. It flipped over at low speed too (about 30 mph). These things truly are bottom of the line junk and I would opt for a decent used car instead.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Nooooooo!
Maybe a quick PDK but no manual shift autos!

I have an auto in the Rogue, but its time to go back to the MT.

Near 5 MPG penalty for a slush Converter AT!

Wifes CV in the impreza is decent (as a passenger) but I would break it guaranteed.

It has a simulated 6 step shift CVT with paddles. IDK about nannies in pure M mode, I haven't driven it. I don't fit in that tiny car to well. The new global platform impreza is MUCH more commodious.

Im gonna look at one. dont like 150 HP though - -I think ….

Hard to decipher you post. One thing I did get out of it is you think an auto gets 5 mpg less than a manual? Maybe 25 years ago. Autos vs manuals when compared in the same car get better mpg now. Times have changed, autos are more efficient than ever.

I agree, the days of automatics getting worse MPG are long gone. In fact it's shifted (haha) the other way in a lot of cases now. My 2006 Civic has better fuel economy than it's manual counterpart, mainly due to it's taller gearing. It revs at 2000rpm at 60mph, while the manual version is at 2500rpm at that speed.

My Corvette is also the same way, in the real world it gets better MPG than the 7 speed manual versions.

I have always found it easier to get better MPG with automatics because if you drive it gently the transmission will end up shifting into the next gear at a much lower rpm than you would generally allow if you were shifting it manually (perfect example is my Corvette, if you drive with a light foot the trans will shift into the next gear at 1500rpm or so, and if it were manual I would never be short shifting that low)

All my daily drivers are Automatic. I like the 6L80E in sport mode in the Caprice.

I have the WS6 for when I might want to row through the gears.

I must be in the minority. I have only had two automatics in my life and found them boring to drive. I am 65 and have a Honda 5 speed. Pretty slick gearbox and more pep than the automatic model. Gas mileage is probably a MPG less but I don't mind. I am retired so I don't have to drive during rush hour which is a blessing. Everything in the future will have some form of CVT in the future. Not sure they have engineered them for reliability yet.

I wonder what a rebuild will cost for a ten speed Honda automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back