I'm done with maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a data point that probably does NOT apply to those of you BITOG'ers who have posted a personal minimalist approach:

I notice VERY concerning issues with many of the high-mileage vehicles I've driven in. From tires so bald the bands are poking through to rod knock to "out of timing" cars that barely ran (timing belt misaligned); some were one unlucky situation away from being stranded to, worst possible case, dead.

It is my opinion that some maintenance is better than none, if only to give some tech somewhere the chance to point out the obviously deficient condition that the driver has been oblivious to for who knows how long! Notice, I didn't say, "ignored for who knows how long," because, when asked, some didn't even know there was a problem.

Two examples (both somewhat off topic):

Sister had tires so bad, I thought she was running on Canadian square tires! Worn down to the bands and she had no idea.

Got out of my car at a Happy Harry's and heard some young guy revving his engine in the parking lot. As I approached the sound of rod knock was apparent. I asked if he didn't mind, to shut the engine off and pop the hood. While he did, I asked what he was doing. He replied that he heard a weird noise, but wasn't sure what it was (it was obvious and he was revving close to redline, IIRC.)

Anyway, he returned a confused look when I asked if he had already checked the oil level. The dipstick was dry. I added several quarts of formula Shell before a level registered. After a short run, his oil was FULL of sparklies and the knock was still there, just as bad. I suggested he have his oil and filter changed soon, and to ask his mom or dad for money for a new engine.

More on-topic:
So, while some of you guys have gotten away with never changing things like tranny, brake, and other fluids, I would never recommend that to anyone. The risk for failure is very likely higher than even a liberal maintenance schedule. In addition, there's no way a braking system (and likely other components) will work as well without a fluid change, ever.

I wouldn't trust those lifetime fills when it comes to transmission oil. The E39 had some serious transmission issues and was going into limp mode every two weeks or so. I was recommended to change the whole transmission, decided not to due to costs and tried changing oil and filter first and 2 years later not a single issue since then.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
In the end it all what makes you happy aside from cost.

That which does not kill us makes us happy (and richer)?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

Brake fluid never flush or change.

But that which makes us happy might kill us (or make us poorer).

I'd had my current car about 5 years when I experienced a foot-to-the-floor brake failure, tentatively attributed to boiling brake fluid.

Lots of rust in the fluid when drained, so that 5-year interval now looks like a bit of a false economy.

Could easily have been much worse.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dishdude
A guy I work with that is in sales buys nothing but old Enterprise cars off rental, changes the oil every 10k at Jiffy Lube

That guy don't wrench on his own cars. He's not gonna be disassembling his engine at 400K because it'll never make it there in the first place.

Another thing to note about the salesman is every time they try to upsell him he says no.

dishdude.. Do what works for you. In the end all vehicles are a waste of money and will eventually be recycled into something else. Personally I go beyond the norm since I can't afford otherwise. All of my vehicles show it. The rest of my family doesn't do anything past the norm, most of the times less. And it shows as well but since they don't keep them past 100k/10 year doesn't matter! Know your vehicle and it's weaknesses and your time frame of ownership and go from there.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My vehicles are not toast. They're running fairly well at 12 years old. The initial coolant change recommendation by the manual is 10years/150k miles. Then 5 years/100k miles after that. That's what I do. No problems yet.

You keep doing that and the coolant is will have so much acid built up in it that your intake manifold gaskets will be eaten alive.

Depends on the vehicle. Wife's '03 Escape made it to almost 160k and I don't remember when the coolant was changed last - maybe at 60k? Still ran perfectly fine when she traded it in. We did service the trans regularly as the CD4E was not known to be the most reliable unit in existence. But it was original!

Over Maintenance is true and IMHO if you follow the book you will be fine. About the only thing I don't follow is trans fluid changes - IMHO every 30k is best for trans life.

You keep doing that and the coolant is will have so much acid built up in it that your intake manifold gaskets will be eaten alive.

coolant formulation has changed substantially during the past 10yrs or so. As a result: P-OAT type is now deemed long-life.

I'd follow factory 10yrs-then 5yr interval these days when working with Toy pink LLC and Honda blue.

Gone were the days where silicate-based green or the domestic plastisier-based dex-cool type, which would go so far as to turn your ABS plastic radiator white before the seam burst.

I thank the automotive god above us for devising OAT-based coolant! They are so well formulated that I know longer have to worry about plastic radiators softened by plastisers, coolant goes gritty after a few years (think evil green coolant back from days of yore, etc.)

Lastly: all automobiles I serviced nowadays, I go with P-OAT type. They don't suffer from premature failure like older formulations and no issues on water pumps, plastic radiators, etc. I typically now service them every 5 yrs...no acids, no gums..
Q.

As with anything mechanical, depends on the manufacturers' engineering and supply chain.

There is no logic considering automaker coolant changes.... 10 years then every 5 years after that. Are they using a superior coolant at the factory and selling garbage red/blue/yellow/pink/green/red coolant at the dealership? Either both are always good for 10 years or just adequate for 5, and they are lowering the initial cost of ownership during the warranty period.

With good fluids and filters, there is nothing wrong with manufacturer intervals. And, depending on driving style, many can exceed those intervals. But, the flip side is that too many are severe service. I think that OLM's help here some. There are also too many automaker defects which sometimes can be prevented with maintenance.

I see severe service, all the time, and they are everywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUYKSWQmkrg

Do whatever you want and learn from your mistakes. When it comes to vehicles, I haven't had any preventable mistakes in 30 years. But, I do see it daily in the neighborhood, at the store parking lot, or at work.

No shortcuts taken on my fleet. $40k spent on a new car or suv isn't going to skip out on a couple hundred bucks in maintenance over its lifetime.

I was amused by the "Zombie" cult like products when that "Walking Dead" series started. Sad, but most people around are zombies that can't think for themselves, and don't have a clue.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
As with anything mechanical, depends on the manufacturers' engineering and supply chain.

There is no logic considering automaker coolant changes.... 10 years then every 5 years after that. Are they using a superior coolant at the factory and selling garbage red/blue/yellow/pink/green/red coolant at the dealership? Either both are always good for 10 years or just adequate for 5, and they are lowering the initial cost of ownership during the warranty period.

With good fluids and filters, there is nothing wrong with manufacturer intervals. And, depending on driving style, many can exceed those intervals. But, the flip side is that too many are severe service. I think that OLM's help here some. There are also too many automaker defects which sometimes can be prevented with maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUYKSWQmkrg

Do whatever you want and learn from your mistakes. When it comes to vehicles, I haven't had any preventable mistakes in 30 years. But, I do see it daily in the neighborhood, at the store parking lot, or at work.

No shortcuts taken on my fleet. $40k spent on a new car or suv isn't going to skip out on a couple hundred bucks in maintenance over its lifetime.

I was amused by the "Zombie" cult like products when that "Walking Dead" series started. Sad, but most people around are zombies that can't think for themselves, and don't have a clue.

Here is the logic:

100% new coolant in new car = 100k miles for the first interval.

50% new coolant after a radiator D&F in a used vehicle with 100k-miles old coolant = 50k miles for next interval.

To the OP, I bought an 15 Overland Hemi with QT2 QD2 and the 8HP70

I would recommend changing the fluids early, the diffs and T-case are a piece of cake and you would be amazed at the amount of metal shed in fluids.

I have 3500 miles on mine and changed the diffs( refilled with Redline 75w-90)T-case and PS Fluid, refilled with Amsoil ATF.

The 8HP70 I will wait a couple years and have it serviced since the pan filter is expensive(250$) and the fluid is 12$ a qt.

Other than that and the plugs and air filter, their isnt much to maintain. The coolant is a 10 year deal so in a couple years, will do a drain and refill regimen.

I have the QL suspension on the Overland and bought the lifetime BtoB warranty so this one should be a maintnenace free deal other than some fluid changes and brakes.

A lot of BITOGers think they do severe service but they don't.

For example in a recent thread someone was saying they have a 13 mile commute in Florida where it's 83 degrees on Christmas and BITOGers were saying the oil will never get up to temperature and you should change it early.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

+1 This site has only caused more folks to be OCD and waste dollars on maintenance they don't need. The oil companies must love the talk that goes on here.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

+1 This site has only caused more folks to be OCD and waste dollars on maintenance they don't need. The oil companies must love the talk that goes on here.

Yep-there is a topic going on right now on another forum in BITOG suggesting a 12,000 differential change, when the first is recommended at 50,000 miles for severe service.

I think it must vary. some vehicles do fine on less than regular maintenance, or just the bare minimum. And yet when I've looked to purchase used cars, I've come across relaitively low-mileage vehicles ailing from issues resolved by simple fluid, filter and gasket changes. It must vary from how a car is owned, treated and driven to some extent.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
you're kidding, right?

No I'm not. 10 years is insane. I change my coolant every year.

Thats laughable...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
So after hanging around here for many years, I've come to the conclusion [...] dumping factory fills early and changing fluids that aren't outlined in the maintenance manual are a waste.

Following the pictured schedule will certainly minimize maintenance (appealing to the average consumer) while getting you safely out of the warranty period (appealing to the average automaker). Will it maximize the life of your vehicle? No. Everyone knows only nitrous does that.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Maintenance pays off towards the end part of the vehicles life not at the beginning.

Testify!

This is why I've potentially "over-maintained" my cars. 10 years later and they run as good as the day I bought them, with an alternator being the only replaced non-normal-maintenance part on 3 vehicles and 530,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

It's also caused a lot of people to run their fluid out farther than the would have without it. I would guess most of the members here are a little older and remember if you didn't change oil and antifreeze often you'd have problems. I'm only 40 and I remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back