Illegal to park in your own driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hey, Tempest!! Here's a new "wealth gets help" method you can promote!! Get property taxing authorities to allow "ONE TIME LUMP SUM" fees to be paid for an eternal property tax exemption. Desperate taxing bodies will jump at the revenue, the clowns will spend it anyway and not manage it ..and the only ones that can take advantage of it are the wealthy. The default result is that the slimes will have to pick up the slack.

How's that sound??? Freedom for those who can afford it. Bring it up at the next "meeting"
grin2.gif

If you read the article, you will find that that is exactly what they want to do as they will lease the rights of the land, that you already own, back to you..in order to avoid these tickets.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
You can not own real estate in Canada since some time in the 1800's. It is all only rented now, kind of like a condo.

Interesting. Got a link?

That article is not clear about whether parking in the street in front of those houses is legal.

As far as I'm concerned, if I pay for a license plate I should be able to have my car on any street, moving or parked! If traffic needs controlling, there should be clear "no parking" signs. Naturally the public right-of-way creeping up my driveway should count as "street".

So if I lived in DC, could neighbor kids play jacks or dice games in the last 10 feet of my driveway?
35.gif

Quote:
"Any area between the property line and the building restriction line shall be considered as private property set aside and treated as public space under the care and maintenance of the property owner."

Basically what that means is most property owners in the District don't own the land between their front door and the sidewalk, but they are responsible for taking care of it... You're technically on public space.

I guess that means I can pick the flowers planted on everyone's front yard, then complain that they don't take care of the front yard!

The people who run these HOAs are drunk with power, and the more sh*t they get away with, the more they try to get away with the next day. Reason # 2482 that I sought to purchase a house in a neighborhood that doesn't have a HOA. They have their upsides (such as assuring your neighbor keeps his lawn mowed and doesn't paint his house fuchsia with lime green trim) but some of the rules I hear about are completely without reason. I can assure you the whole outfit would find themselves in court if they even considered writing me a ticket for parking my personal vehicle in my own driveway.

We have thoroughfare spec's in our borough. Typically the house is right up to the sidewalk in many neighborhoods.

http://www.autoinsane.com/2009/06/16/new...-own-driveways/
Quote:
Toledo, Ohio Mayor Carty Finkbeiner, who is already up for a recall vote, defended the ticketing of several cars over the past week who were parked in their owners driveway. How can they do that? They just found an old law prohibiting drivers from parking on “unpaved” surfaces.. and technically gravel is unpaved.

Mayor Finkeiner is defending the citations and the city’s acting commisioner of Streets, Bridges, and Harbor, Susan Fredrick- the writer of the tickets.

During a press conference on Monday the Mayor refused to answer a question posed by a reporter, asking if the gravel driveway crackdown was related to the city’s budget crisis.

The city of Livonia started getting ambitious with raising money to make up for lost revenue after an assembly plant closed its doors. Last week they impounded my winter car parked on the street in front of my house, telling us that someone reported it as abandoned. (Baloney, they just wanted to deflect my ire). It's sat there for the past four summers with no complaints. Everyone in the neighborhood knows that I switch cars seasonally. They got me because I had a bogus (old, out of state) plate on the car. Otherwise the car was not a blight on the landscape as the laws are intended. It's not as though it was sitting with a flat tire and leaves piled on the windshield.

It doesn't bode well for community relations when the city gets overly creative in ways to raise revenue. It's sad when decent hardworking folk have to fear the authorities.

Yea, its a shame they should be making up laws JUST for the sake of revenue! What a stupid world we live in

I wish my HOA would be harder on people who dont pick up dog poop. Thats ok though, if I see it happening I will take matters into my own hands. I do like my HOA for the grass cutting, snow removal, re-sealing of the drive way, etc. etc. But I agree sometimes, just too many laws!

Originally Posted By: ewetho
And we elect people who will give us more Government intervention in out LIVES???? STUPID Stupid stupid!!!
Reelect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back