If you were forced to use 1 motor oil for life....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my case, and the OP is from last year, but what if someone is 20 years old, and when they are 70 the oil is no longer sold? Are they put to death??

I have this Volt now and I don't run the engine much so I have been thinking of the Magnatec. Is the claim it clings nonsense? I bought some PP couple weeks ago and returned because no Dexos, but I have an older silver jug of PP that has Dexos. What the devil is going on? Twilight Zone?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I have this Volt now and I don't run the engine much so I have been thinking of the Magnatec. Is the claim it clings nonsense?

I believe Castrol's claims. They've developed and tested it, so there must be some truth there. I think I'm going to start using it for better start-up protection on my least driven vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I have this Volt now and I don't run the engine much so I have been thinking of the Magnatec. Is the claim it clings nonsense?

I believe Castrol's claims. They've developed and tested it, so there must be some truth there. I think I'm going to start using it for better start-up protection on my least driven vehicle.

The part I don't understand is why they sell a higher oil, Edge, and make no claims about clinging for Edge. I would think Edge would have it all. I think I will switch to Magnatec and forget about rebates. On the other hand WM sells their own oil for the same price as Magnatec and it has dexos 2. On the other hand Castrol is a respected maker. No more hands.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The part I don't understand is why they sell a higher oil, Edge, and make no claims about clinging for Edge. I would think Edge would have it all. I think I will switch to Magnatec and forget about rebates. On the other hand WM sells their own oil for the same price as Magnatec and it has dexos 2. On the other hand Castrol is a respected maker. No more hands.

In just 4K … Magnatec was really clingy on the dipstick and filler cap … unreal how thick …
Edge is their flagship oil …

The Euro rated Castrol Edge 5W-30 A3/B4

It's API SL (due to high ZDDP, but passes all SN quality tests), ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502/505

With Noack 3.5cP, TBN >10 and Zinc ~1000 ppm.

Maybe someday way down the road the question will be "if you could only pick one bearing grease for your electric motor, what grease would it be? "

Lol.

Oil...I haven't tried enough to find something vastly superior.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Dielectric of course

Not sure if you meant to make a funny. But you did. Die electric. If anyone didn't catch it lol.

We use Petro Canada XMB synthetic motor grease on my site in the Alberta oilsands for our electric motors for the HVAC equipment. Good to -40°c lol. And most run 24/7 365.

Chevron! Any Delo or Supreme product meeting viscosity reqs for my V6 and V8 engines.

Last edited:
I like the major formulators - Mobil, Castrol, PZ, Valvoline. I see no little value in boutique brands. I've been partial to Mobil 1 among the major brands for the last 18 years, so if I absolutely had to choose a brand, it would be Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Pajero

Respectfully,

Pajero!
That's my favorite oil too Pajero!
grin2.gif

It must be called Ghost oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back