If you live in the rust belt, do you travel outside of it for your used vehicles? (Because they're rust-free)

Not just for rust. Sun belt states (generally) don't have the same level of severe stop-go driving conditions as the Northeast or Chicago.

Going in blind, I'd rather take my chances with a car from Raleigh, NC than even a rust-free Chicago car.

Yes, my next car will either be from Texas or Florida where my family members are. Wrenching on a car with no rust is heavenly ecstasy compared to a rusty bucket.

I know a couple of guys that send west coast cars and trucks to the rust belt to sell.
While living in Arizona I learned of a dealer who bought all his trucks from Wisconsin, sprayed black undercoating stuff all over the frames, etc.

Reported his practices of buying pickups in Wisconsin and selling them in Arizona was very profitable.

I haven't really heard about this phenomenon (if it really exist to any meaningful extent.)

I guess the geographical barriers and DMV laws are really what makes the used car market basically.. local.

Is this correct?

Are there a lot of ppl who will travel outside of the rust belt for their cars, such as the South?

I would imagine.. NOT.

If you're buying a 'drive it forever' car, I think rust may be a concern, but for the most part it's probably true that even rusted cars will last a good 10 to 20 years, and most people don't plan to keep it that long.

If you're not a car person, you may only have a vague sense about what rust really is, and maybe you're absolutely right! Maybe.

If you love cars and wish to modify it, I guess getting one down south makes sense. Rust can make removal of any suspension components difficult, or any bolt really.
I bought my 84 Cutlass 2 hours away (Toronto Ontario) almost 20 years ago now. It was undercoated heavily which I continued to do and had body work and repaint. Hasn't seen winter in a long time.
My work truck is a 2005 Silverado I bought from the company. It used to get undercoated every 2 years until they thought it must be near end of life. I had to have the cab corners and rocker panels replaced and one fender, but while the box was off I sanded, primed and painted every bit of the frame I could access which still looked almost as good as new.
I just try to do everything I can to make them hold up even in the salt.
You can repair the odd rust issue if the majority of the vehicle is still solid.

I buy new, and rustproof my vehicles. I keep them a long time so depreciation is not that big of a deal "to me." If I were to buy used it would have to be a local rust free garage queen. I'm not going to travel hundreds of miles in search of the perfect used car. With a little time and patience I'm pretty sure they can be had locally.

Here is my 2001 dodge club cab front end after 83,900 miles

$3000 of bs to go to a normal repair shop to fix

very disappointed it’s so hard to find the whole southern front end with the whole cabootle that fits a 2001

mods part is the rails, rear and sheet metal aren’t terrible
DCA3CCAA-90E1-470E-AF13-4525BC6B9F2C.jpeg

I live in a collage town, and, lots of people are moving here from CA. So, while I do a lot of internet shopping, I can find local cars that have not had more than 1 snowy winter. My YJ is a perfect example, as it came from out West and spent 1 year in MN before I bought it (a little more to the story, but essentially, it only had 1 year exposed to salt)

So, yes, but I try to find the local transplant first.

I have friends in CA and family in TX, so it wouldn't be hard to shop out there. I used to drive all over the country for work, and would keep my eyes open all the time.

I've done well getting rust-free beaters locally. Or acceptably rusty cars for $400. Maine gets enough tourists and snowbirds the cars are out there if you're patient. One has to get their next car while the current one is running fine for this to work, which generally means suburban living with plenty of parking and reasonable registration/ insurance rates.

One also needs to shop the regional arbitrage, eg, finding somewhere where your car is worth less in addition to being in better shape. Poor places aren't necessarily great for this as people there know a bargain and drive it into the ground. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine a great place to buy a cheap truck-- they don't exist.

I did do what you propose, twice. Airfare was $115 or so to get 850 miles south, and the state I was shopping in offers temp plates for five bucks to out of state residents.

I live WNY and the salt is absolutely everywhere starting in Nov. I drive a 💩 💩 now in the winter and garbage my new cars. I have never bought outside my area.

But then, that's probably the best reason to buy out of the rust belt if your shopping for 10 or 20 year old cars.
and this is the sweet spot for same-price, better car. Newer cars, rust won't be a consideration for the buyer and if it is, the seller will just sit on the car until a less informed buyer comes along. You want a car that's "obsolete" in looks or entertainment functions but solid. BITOG wants the 4-speed automatic and port injection. Get a rust free 15 year old car for $1800 and a rusted out parts car for $400 and you may make it another 5-10 years, if you really want to.

Back