If you could buy a somewhat entertaining car what would you pick

I need to learn what all the bmw lingo is and means. I read the e46 had water pump and vanos issues. I know nothing about vanos. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ they seem intriguing to own though.
If you arenā€™t familiar with BMWs I would definitely recommend getting a thorough PPI performed by a tech who KNOWS BMWs. An E46 3er is one of the last analog Bimmers, and while the cars have their issues most are relatively easy and inexpensive to rectify. If you do land on a BMW I would definitely join BMW CCA and get a subscription to the British magazine BMW CAR, as both are excellent sources of technical and DIY information.
Iā€™ve owned 12 BMWs, and according to the inane blabber from some of the BITOG ā€œread testersā€ and hearsay peddlers anyone who has owned that many BMWs should be on their fourth or fifth Chapter 7 and living in a cardboard box under an overpass.

Iā€™d get another classic beetle like the one I have. To me those cars will never get old or go out of style. Or Iā€™d get a classic pickup truck of some type. I definitely wouldnā€™t buy anything made in the last 20 years thatā€™s a little too new for my liking.

One of my buddies had the same goal, cheap fun car but room for the kids, and got an older Acura TSX with a manual. He kept if for a year but it had lots of issues, some just annoying and others expensive, so he got rid of it. I guess my point is that older complicated cars that are supposed to be reliable still can be a PITA.

Were you driving low dollar cars equivalent to what he is when you were his age? Your current anti-boredom stable isn't exactly cheap beaters.
I had a 1979 Arrow 2.6 GT and a 1974 Monte Carlo with a few engine and drivetrain modifications. I sold the Arrow for a somewhat needy 1973 Bavaria. I performed a rolling restoration on it from 1984 to 1988.
And while I wouldnā€™t refer to my Clubman or Wrangler as beaters, you could probably buy two equivalent vehicles for comfortably under $10k.

Last edited:
If you want a hobby purchase a FIAT 500. Haha

Mine has been dead-nuts reliable and I have enough mods to be pushing 240+hp. I have owned all sorts of cars, including a Miata...I have kept this 500 Abarth longer than any other "fun" car I have owned.

Mine has been dead-nuts reliable and I have enough mods to be pushing 240+hp. I have all sorts of cars, including a Miata...I have kept this 500 Abarth longer than any other "fun" car I have owned.
I came very close to buying an Abarth; I test drove a couple and loved them. The dealer group I used to work for dumped the Fiat store and the current dealer obviously considers selling and servicing Fiats to be just about last on their list of priorities.

I came very close to buying an Abarth; I test drove a couple and loved them. The dealer group I used to work for dumped the Fiat store and the current dealer obviously considers selling and servicing Fiats to be just about last on their list of priorities.

For my bride's ride I worry about warranty and dealer network...for my own rides, I buy 'em out of warranty and would VOID it almost instantly anyways ;-)

For my bride's ride I worry about warranty and dealer network...for my own rides, I buy 'em out of warranty and would VOID it almost instantly anyways ;-)
That's what I usually do, but I was looking at buying a new one- and I didn't want to have to drive to Cincy for warranty issues.

Were you driving low dollar cars equivalent to what he is when you were his age? Your current anti-boredom stable isn't exactly cheap beaters.
When I was 18 years old I had a 70 Challenger with a 340 4 speed did a cam and intake change and headers the car would pull 6500 in top gear.

I would say continue saving until you can pay 10-15k...then there will be better options for what you are looking for.

I'm not sure what $6k will get you, but I've been thinking about picking up a VW GTI as a fun car.

A GTI is definitely a nice fun car, but only that. It can be a good daily, but it's more suited to an occasional driver for reasons I'll keep outta this thread as a MK7 is way outta the OP's range. Mines just kinda sitting around in that garage so I've decided to sell it...

That said a $6K GTI would be a disaster IMO. That's still only MK5 territory and most at this point are really ragged out.

Mine has been dead-nuts reliable and I have enough mods to be pushing 240+hp. I have owned all sorts of cars, including a Miata...I have kept this 500 Abarth longer than any other "fun" car I have owned.
240 hp Fiat 500 would be quite sporty.

If you arenā€™t familiar with BMWs I would definitely recommend getting a thorough PPI performed by a tech who KNOWS BMWs. An E46 3er is one of the last analog Bimmers, and while the cars have their issues most are relatively easy and inexpensive to rectify. If you do land on a BMW I would definitely join BMW CCA and get a subscription to the British magazine BMW CAR, as both are excellent sources of technical and DIY information.
Iā€™ve owned 12 BMWs, and according to the inane blabber from some of the BITOG ā€œread testersā€ and hearsay peddlers anyone who has owned that many BMWs should be on their fourth or fifth Chapter 7 and living in a cardboard box under an overpass.
I think I would try a BMW if I decided to NOT get a car with a 6MT. A BMW with a ZF-8 transmission would be OK. What "picks" me about manuals in BMW's is that BMW does NOT support them with internal spares. Buy a used BMW with a weak 2nd-gear synchro: learn to double-clutch, 'cause unless you want a factory rebuilt transmission you will NOT be able to freshen up the synchro. Not only are the parts not available, but the special jigs that are necessary to disassemble them (or the expertise with large-enough hydraulic presses) are / is simply not available. Their Manuals are good... Getrag, ZF - but simply NOT repairable.

Yes, I know that their DCT or their conventional A/T is probably quicker on a racecourse... and undoubtedly quicker accelerating, etc. However, despite my 61 years- I have not grown out of my love for manuals (yet)

I think I would try a BMW if I decided to NOT get a car with a 6MT. A BMW with a ZF-8 transmission would be OK. What "picks" me about manuals in BMW's is that BMW does NOT support them with internal spares. Buy a used BMW with a weak 2nd-gear synchro: learn to double-clutch, 'cause unless you want a factory rebuilt transmission you will NOT be able to freshen up the synchro. Not only are the parts not available, but the special jigs that are necessary to disassemble them (or the expertise with large-enough hydraulic presses) are / is simply not available. Their Manuals are good... Getrag, ZF - but simply NOT repairable.

Yes, I know that their DCT or their conventional A/T is probably quicker on a racecourse... and undoubtedly quicker accelerating, etc. However, despite my 61 years- I have not grown out of my love for manuals (yet)
Wow, that is good to know! 128i's are getting pretty cheap so I was thinking that might be a fun car to play with, so its good to know that a syncro change is not really an option.

Back