If you could buy a somewhat entertaining car what would you pick

1965 GTO.
Beat me to it.
IMG_9813.JPG

Looks like a 1966.
You're killing me. The '65 to '67 Goats were the prettiest cars ever.
It is a ‘66.
I don’t drive it much, doesn’t run great on pump gas as compression is too high and I don’t want to convert it to E85. Runs great on >100 octane racing fuel when I can get it.

I’m currently adding A/C with factory parts. Might have to use R134, haven’t gotten that far yet.
E35EE4FE-EBAC-447B-9CC0-D26C3D167245.jpeg

Toyota MR2 or Fiero (one that didn't catch on fire!). MR2 preferred. I think that would be a fun project.

Instead of spending $15-$20K on a larger, reliable car for your family, you decide to spend the money on two separate, small old cars? Sounds very practical.
You’re always such a downer. Is life really that troubling for you? Also we have a grand caravan for the entire family and the sonic is great for the long drives my wife has to do for her son and the custody agreement she has. Her sons dad lives in Indiana so she does 5 hours or so round trip twice a month. The sonic is superb for that job. And we can rack the miles up on it and who cares? When it’s no longer reliable we will purchase another car.
I am a car guy that is my thing. If I can afford to buy myself something relatively inexpensive that I enjoy playing with what’s the harm?
You make blind assumptions about things and then expect people to think and do exactly as you would. That’s not practical nor is it based in reality.

I find it funny you make the assumption that spending more money guarantees you a more reliable car. Two of the most reliable vehicles I’ve ever had that required the absolute littlest amount of anything were both $3500 or a hair less. Both of which were terrific.
The grand caravan is one and the rabbit I had was the other. I’ve had some very reliable 2,000 saturns to. Ironically the least reliable car I ever owned was also the one I spent the most money on which was a 14 focus brand new. That steaming pile left me every where.
I’ll stick with a little bit older and cheaper seems to be working out. 👍

Didn't you already have a Golf? What happened to it? If you sold it, why would you want to buy another one?

As far as BMW goes, for $6k you are unlikely to find one in decent enough shape, not needing significant amount of work. You are looking at something that will be close to 20 years old and may have all sorts of problems popping up unexpectedly.

Last edited:
Didn't you already have a Golf? What happened to it? If you sold it, why would you want to buy another one?

As far as BMW goes, for $6k you are unlikely to find one in decent enough shape, not needing significant amount of work. You are looking at something that will be close to 20 years old and may have all sorts of problems popping up unexpectedly.

i had a rabbit same thing and I did sell it and I shouldn’t of. It was a fun and reliable car.

What about an Accord V6 of a Camry V6 with a stick. They did make them. My wife had Accord Coupe V6 with a stick which had plenty of zip.

Back