If WD40 isnt a good lubricant, what is?

What chemicals should a guy have in the shop for lubricating, penetrating oil, degreaser, cleaning etc? if you were to go on Amazon right now, what line up of chemicals would you buy to have in the shop for those basic metal tasks etc?

Degreaser is generally Simple Green, kerosene, or even diesel fuel if the grease is thick enough. Penetrating oil is Silkroil/Kroil, Seafoam Deep Creep, WD40 as a last resort (it's really only good for drying things out). Lubricating-white lithium grease, copper & aluminum based antiseize, light machine oil, even thicker oil up to a 20 weight for hinges & non-motor applications. And- :welcome:

PB Blaster, KROIL, Acetone/ATF mix for penetrating oils and Brake Parts Cleaner, Gasoline & GUNK for cleaning/degreasing is what I've used.
I hadn't used WD-40 in years till I saw a YouTube video for cleaning wiper blades so, now that's what I use on them.

PB Blaster is better than the old WD-40, but it smells horrible.
Since your buying on Amazon, take one for the team and try Gasoila.

196cd091-82ec-4eb1-a475-5d48eebefcd2.__CR0,0,971,601_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Since we at Bitog are moly freaks, the Gasoila Lube-It-All spray contains Moly.

Wd-40 good for tar and bug removal. Penetrant and lubricant I like PB, kroil, liquid wrench and 3-1 in the small bottles with the applicator tip.

Don’t laugh, but this stuff actually works well. Ace hardware has it.

Don’t laugh, but this stuff actually works well. Ace hardware has it.
I used that stuff in the past it wasn't that bad.

What chemicals should a guy have in the shop for lubricating, penetrating oil, degreaser, cleaning etc? if you were to go on Amazon right now, what line up of chemicals would you buy to have in the shop for those basic metal tasks etc?

lubricating - I have motor oil in a squirt can, this is used for drilling and tapping, lubing oil filter gaskets, etc...
penetrating - I have WD40 and PB Blaster. If is is lightly stuck WD40, rusted = PB Blaster for sure
degreaser / cleaning - brake cleaner by the spray can no allegiance to brand, simple green as well

just my $0.02

Simple green for mild damage free cleaning
Brake parts cleaner for areas without concern for painted finishes or trim plastic
Penetrating oil Kroil or PB Blaster
Lubrication I just started to use Lucas Red and Tacky in a spray can
Best motorcycle chain oil is Maxima chain wax

Simple green for mild damage free cleaning
Brake parts cleaner for areas without concern for painted finishes or trim plastic
Penetrating oil Kroil or PB Blaster
Lubrication I just started to use Lucas Red and Tacky in a spray can
Best motorcycle chain oil is Maxima chain wax
Never use concentrated SG or Purple Power on Al or MG. It will damage it. Severely

Brake cleaner is OK for specific metal only cleaning. Any one ever cleaned steel with SG and then into boiling water? Super clean good for you and the earth. Parts come out hot and water evaps off quickly. Paint/lube/etc ASAP.

I also use PB Blaster, Kroil, Deep Creep etc

For lubes, I main use Amsoil products naturally. Using the correct lube, never an issue.

Last edited:
Different [lubes] have different purposes. WD does great for what WD 40 does. Others do what they are supposed to do. As Pablo posted "Using the correct lube, never an issue"

Degreaser, I usually use brake clean or gasoline. I use diesel to get tough sticker/etc petroluem based adhesive goo off containers/etc.

Lubes, there's appropriate grease, motor oil, dry silicone, dielectric grease, silicone paste, rattle can oil, and in a pinch i've been known to mix cartridge grease with oil to achieve the viscosity I want, for example on my garage door slider rails I only need a tablespoon or so of something thinner than NLGI 2 so it doesn't bind up in very cold weather, or for lubing worn fans (that don't have oil reservoirs) , go the opposite direction and add just enough grease to gear oil, to end up around NLGI 000. I don't mix the batch up every time, have a needle applicator bottle, a jug for garage lube, etc.

Automotive though, everything has a specific best type of lube.

Someone on here turned me on to Houdini for locks and hinges. Stuff works great and dries so it doesn’t attract grit. WD40 good for cleaning and drying.
PB blaster for rusted bolts, but I have read good things about Kroil and others.
I also like to have some dry lube around. Elmer’s used to make “Slide-All” but that seems to be out of production now. I recently bought some WD40 branded dry lube. Haven’t used it yet.

Back