If pleats are wavy, so what ?

That looks like a big deal for some, i need guidance in order to know why ...

If the filtering media is crimped or glued properly top and bottom with a good tight joint at the seam so whats the big deal with uneven pleat space and waves ... its a filter not a works of art :)

These are wavy on purpose to increase surface area, made by Purflux

shopping

When a $2 Chinese made Prime Guard oil filter has perfectly straight and even pleats while a $7 American made filter has wavy uneven pleats it tells me something.

I agree that doent look good , but MH and FB dont seem to worry about all that and that it is their a... s on the line. I really think that we think way too much ... we are maybe not rational enough and way too emotional 🤪🤪🤪 anyway the internet would be super boring without bitog and you guys ... keep on filtering and thanks for your input

It's like walking into a job interview with your shirt untucked; people are going to frown on you.

Reactions: pbm
Pleats increase the surface area, but they also give the media strength to resist the differential pressure across the filter. If they are kinked when they should be straight then they aren't as strong which could under excessive pressure, i.e cold oil, lead to them folding flat and collapsing like this.

View attachment 136042
View attachment 136043
View attachment 136044
That looks like a filter bypass valve malfunction. No wavy pleats could lead to the metal core collapsing like that. There are no pleats on earth that will prevent that much force destroying an oil filter if the metal core gets collapsed from too much delta-p across the filter.

I wouldn't use one of those. Looks like Ramen noodles. Might get too soft in heat.
Chevron developed the wavy pattern Purflux uses to increase filter media area.
Purflux is an OE filter supplier to Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, Ford, Volkswagen, GM, Volvo, Opel, and Chrysler/Jeep cars and light trucks made in Europe.
No, I'm not posting an advertisement for Purflux. I've never used one, but would like to try one.

I don't recall which brands, or models, but I recall a few had been seen to have wavy pleats with uneven spacing. Theoretically, uneven spacing provides less support from the other pleates, combined with a bend in pleating material creates a weak spot that could fail. There have been a extremely nominal report of torn media, but never seen the tear be at the crease.

Interestingly, this is all very academic because the makers of the offending filters have run in vehicles for decades and they don't seem to be concerned about this esoteric issue. I've never heard of an engine failing because of this issue. I think the real cure is to simply do regular OCIs including a filter and you're GTG.

On a related note, I'm always fascinated at the size differential of filters. The Buick 3800 motor filter is barely larger than a teacup. How can that filter sufficiently?? Compare that say, next to a Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 FL1A filter which is about 3x the size for similar engine characteristics!

Back when I had my 08 Passat, I used Fram CH9911 cartridge filters

The original ones where Made in Germany filters, that fit perfectly in the oil filter housing. But when Fram stopped selling German made filters and went with a different endcap design and manufacturing location... they were a little more difficult to get the filter housing back in, which I suspect was a slight length issue, which upon removal, the filters ended up wavy. Back to Mann I went and never had issues to trading in the car.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back