If one is not working under a car are jackstands needed

Sitting at discount tire waiting for rotation and balance.

Noticed they have a car jacked up with no jack stands . Everytime I work on a car I put jackstands under it if jacking it up

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_110334_739.jpg
    IMG_20231011_110334_739.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 103
I’ve pulled wheels off without using jack stands while doing quick things like rotations, wouldn’t recommend tho because if the floor jack fails, the car dropping onto the ground could damage things.
This is my perspective. If I'm not putting parts of my body in a place where they could get crushed or pinched, it's a question of damage risk. For a tire swap, I personally accept that risk. OSHA regulations aside, if you're a busy tire shop and once in a blue moon you have to pay to fix a car that got dropped from floor jack height, you're probably ahead financially as compared to the labour cost of placing jack stands every time.

I use stands even when I only remove a wheel and don't go under the car. I ask myself this - if the jack fails how am I going to raise the car again. Even if I had another jack (which I don't) the car may be sitting too low to get a jack under in another suitable location. It's easier to to spend a few seconds and use a jack stand rather than worry about this scenario.

I use stands even when I only remove a wheel and don't go under the car. I ask myself this - if the jack fails how am I going to raise the car again. Even if I had another jack (which I don't) the car may be sitting too low to get a jack under in another suitable location. It's easier to to spend a few seconds and use a jack stand rather than worry about this scenario.
If you have a wheel off throw the wheel under the car's frame somewhere.

I remember some years ago, while visiting my brother in DFW, driving past some random auto shop, a Tahoe/Suburban sitting in a parking spot, edge of their lot by the road, up on 3 trolly jacks... 2 at the front lift points, one under the Diff. and no one anywhere near it...

...yes the signage was all in Spanish...

I remember some years ago, while visiting my brother in DFW, driving past some random auto shop, a Tahoe/Suburban sitting in a parking spot, edge of their lot by the road, up on 3 trolly jacks... 2 at the front lift points, one under the Diff. and no one anywhere near it...

...yes the signage was all in Spanish...
drive through rural Louisiana, there are cars that have been sitting like that for years.

Well, a car without wheel(s) does not benefit from dropping to the ground. If someone is under the car at the time it may be a softer leading depending on the amount of adipose tissue in the abdominal area of the human buffer. I've seen a guy attempt a tire change on his RV with the vehicle precariously tilted on slippery gravel He got the wheel off and then the vehicle slid off the jack. No injuries other than pride and maybe a damaged hub.

Do you trust the $.04 o-ring with your life?
to do a tire rotation. yes.. I'm never under the car.
besides jack stands can leave marks on unibody cars.. who wants that?

So to answer the OP with awareness no you dont need jackstands.. you do need a relatively flat hard surface concrete preferred.

Back