if i take my truck to gm for oil change, will they grease all of the front end?

thanks for the replies guys! on a side note, which franchise or lube place would you recommend where they will grease everything properly?
thx

Then there is always someone over greasing the fittings, with grease all over the inside of the wheel, and big globs falling on the road.

Most new trucks have non serviceable joints. “Lubed for life” without a zerk. The oil changers won’t look for them unless prompted, and even then probably just squirt grease around the outside.

I have a 2015 Chevy 3500 that has 11 zerks on the front end. I normally do them and the oil change myself but I was on the road 2 years ago and far from home so I stopped into a Walmart with a service center for an oil change and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the guy hit all 11 fittings. I asked him how he knew where they all were because it took me an hour to find them. He showed me a computor diagram they pull up with every oil change that showed all greasable fittings. Color me impressed.

You'd have to specify you want the front end greased, then hope the tech does all the fittings and doesn't damage the boots/seals in the process. I'm the only person who greases my van.

Ask the advisor if they can make sure to grease the fittings with the service so he writes it down on the tech order. I think they would do it without charge or question. If not, that’s sort of cheap of them.

thanks for the replies guys! on a side note, which franchise or lube place would you recommend where they will grease everything properly?
thx
I would take it to the dealership for just the lube job; no oil change. Point out that it has the high number of zerks. The grease should be a NGLI group LB and GC which is suitable for chassis and wheel bearings.

thx

Just from my personal experience ( and I mostly maintain my own except when on the road and cant)

This is often more of an individual issue rather than the company but I would recommend looking at the bay and see what kind of lube equipment and attachments they have ( lot of specialty fittings now) and see if they have been used.

If not present, then I would want to watch them service my car or at least cursory inspect afterward before I leave.

i believe my truck has like 11-12 grease fittings on the front end and i am 99.9% sure the people at the gm dealership never grease them up. seems like it should be included with an oil change. so ill be going to an oil change soon and do you guys know if greasing is included? or do i have to book a different service so they grease everything? and how do i even know if they grease everything in the end? like i can see the ball joints but its hard to see idler and pitman etc

Oil changes are loss leaders for almost all dealerships. Why would they lube 11 fittings for no extra charge?

Oil changes are loss leaders for almost all dealerships. Why would they lube 11 fittings for no extra charge?

Because its been an OFL service almost since the first garage and its expected.

Even back in my day as a mechanic ( vintage 70's) the "oil change' was always a loss.

It was designed to get an inspection for up sells and to keep customers coming in on a "reasonably regular' schedule. ( building a relationship)

So financially I doubt any shop ever made money on one ( we never did at GY or Sears) but its more of a value contribution for other things.

Even then you couldn't make money on a $9.99 OFL tying up the QS bay for 30 min ( that was when things were easy to get to)

I had to take my Jeep to Walmart for an OC a few years back. I had a broken leg. They greased my upper Ball Joints. It's the only two zerks on the Jeep. I was a little shocked that they found them.

Every vehicle I have serviced shows no signs of other places touching zerk fittings. I see cars from dealerships, chain shops and indy mechanics and nobody seems to care enough to lube the chassis fittings. I always do because I provide a quality service.

It is not included with an oil change today at most places. Most mechanics (probably not at the quick oil change joints) will do it for an additional charge.

Back