Identify genuine AC Delco fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recieved what is supposed to be a AC-Delco fuel pump for my '02 Buick Regal GS. It came packed in a shipping box- no AC-Delco shelf box. It also came with a replacement splice-in 4-pin pump harness plug. The instructions enclosed do not identify their origin; part numbers on the plug packaging and instructions don't come up on AC-Delco's website.
My concern is that this is not a AC-Delco part; I don't want an Airtex or other low-end pump. I'm not aware of a replacement plug being routinely issued with genuine pumps.
Given how common these pumps are,can anyone with experience offer any insight- similar experience with the same pumps, or with the replacement plug?
Thanks!

every ACDelco pump I have received, either from a dealer or buying from a Motorcraft/ACDelco FAD has either come in that blue and white box or else a brown box with the ACDelco sticker on it. Im not saying RockAuto pulled a switcharoo on you, but i haven't seen one come in a plain jane box with no markings.

AcDelco and Delphi pumps come with stickers obn the top with the brand on it. Also the box will be brown with a Ac or Delphi sticker on it.

The new pump I put in my sierra yesterday came with a new connector and butt crimps. With detailed instructions.

I would call AC Delco. They should be able to identify if it's genuine. the problem with ACDelco anymore is they seem to be sourcing their parts from every where.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I would call AC Delco. They should be able to identify if it's genuine. the problem with ACDelco anymore is they seem to be sourcing their parts from every where.

Yeah, agreed. I stick with delphi for my truck now when I can. It is even cheaper too!

I've been through a lot of reboxing, we'd change to like Airtex fuel pumps, and the carter ones we were solding got crossed into airtex numbers and dumped into the boxes. when raybestos stopped making clutch hydraulic parts, we went with another brand. the leftover raybestos parts were dropped into the new brand's box.

this happens more times than you think. Dealing with rockauto, this could be very possible, it all depends on where they buy from.

I have bought delco stuff from rockauto and they all had a AC Delco sticker on the box, part or bag the part came in.

I would give their customer service a call I heard it was good.

The AC Delco of today isn't of the same caliber it once was. I was trying to keep my Cadillac original with AC Delco parts, but noticed the parts I was replacing were not of the quality of those that came stock on the car.

Originally Posted By: Rumble
The AC Delco of today isn't of the same caliber it once was. I was trying to keep my Cadillac original with AC Delco parts, but noticed the parts I was replacing were not of the quality of those that came stock on the car.

We ran into this with the parts ordered to repair the collision damage to my truck last month. Some of the "OEM" GM parts simply did not fit well at all.

The new GM OEM tailgate sounds like it is hollow on the inside.

We ended up using some used parts from a wrecked 2004 Silverado that fit my truck better than the new OEM replacements.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Rumble

We ran into this with the parts ordered to repair the collision damage to my truck last month. Some of the "OEM" GM parts simply did not fit well at all.

The new GM OEM tailgate sounds like it is hollow on the inside.

We ended up using some used parts from a wrecked 2004 Silverado that fit my truck better than the new OEM replacements.

LKQ=Like, Kind, Quality. Insurance companies favorite words. However, alot of the parts from a salvage lot are way better than the replacement parts, as you found out.

Yeah ACDelco is no longer exactly OEM like it use to be. Usually it is closer to OEM than other brands but it's not always the same part the car came down the assembly line with anymore. It's like GM has two lines of parts, OE GM parts with outrageous prices and the ACDelco line. ACDelco is usually still better than the aftermarket part but not always or by much nowadays.

You can probably trace that to AcDelcos bankruptcy and who actually owns it now. Which is a reason they do not make thier own filters anymore.

Not long ago, I purchased a radiator cap for the Avalanche - turned out to be made in India. It was a quality part, which matched the old one perfectly, but it seems they are now outsourcing production everywhere. The wiper blades I purchased were made in Korea, oxygen sensors were actually made by Denso in Japan, ignition coils were made in China and IIRC the wires were made in Singapore.

I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that they changed their target market. Used to be only for GM products, now it's for nearly every other brand out there.

Thanks for all of the replies.
I especially agree with the point that often original equiptment, even from salvage, is better that aftermarket or even oem replacement. A common example is the axle shafts for GM W-body cars (Grand Prix, Regal, Impala, etc.). The members on Club GP and Regal GS prefer salvaged originals over all commercial replacements. Ed Morad, in Ohio, has made a great business out of supplying all manner of salvaged W-body parts.
Unfortunately , a used fuel pump, unless near zero miles, is not something I'll buy used- 8 psi boost+fuel cut = chipped piston (aka broken ring land); knock sensors won't prevent damage due to an overwhelming lean condition. I don't want to go there with an 8-year old daily driver car.
Back to my original question- I did find a (very) small part number on the pump- 19177292-02- which is AC-Delco format. RA's AC-Delco number is 19177291, though. I'll contact Rock Auto.

Sometimes the OE changes the design mid way to correct some problem.

That in mind, more often, the newer part is only different so it can be made more cheaply.

At one time, the water pumps on the 3.1 and 3.4 GM engine were made entirely of metal. Later, every single one I ever saw had a plastic impeller.

Update-
Mike at Rockauto confirmed it as AC-Delco. The number 19177292-02, in small print on the outlet, confirms it as a GM/AC-Delco part number for the pump casing, per AC-Delco tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back