Ideas for the Best oil for a rotary engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I have a 2004 RX-8. Engine has just been rebuilt about 7,000 miles ago. My local Costco has just stopped carrying my oil I always use. I was using 5W-30 Formula Shell, or Chevron 5W-30 motor oil. What is the closest oil to those? Any good ones out there for the rotary?

You could try PYB. Available everywhere, a good oil, and a nice shot of moly. Which rotary's seem to really like.

Do you use any type lube in the fuel?

Last edited:
I have looked into this as we are a Mazda owning family, PYB or GTX.

Also, lube your fuel too with 2oz per full tank of gas with 2t Ashless premix oil that is rated TC-W3.

I premix for a Honda Fit and a Mazda 3 hatch and it makes for a very happy, peppy engine.

Go to LS1.com for the thread. Avid following of 2t oils in gas engines here too.

The main reason this was tried was to combat ethanol and to be a UCL.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I have looked into this as we are a Mazda owning family, PYB or GTX.

Also, lube your fuel too with 2oz per full tank of gas with 2t Ashless premix oil that is rated TC-W3.

I premix for a Honda Fit and a Mazda 3 hatch and it makes for a very happy, peppy engine.

Go to LS1.com for the thread. Avid following of 2t oils in gas engines here too.

The main reason this was tried was to combat ethanol and to be a UCL.

Only 2 ounces of tc-w3 added to fuel for a wankel? I thought the engine itself is a 2 stroke. Shouldn't there be more?
I dose my 4 stroke vehicles more than that. 1 ounce per 5 gallons or so is what I use in my vehicles. Never had a plug that had deposits either.
I don't know if it does much but it gives me the warm fuzzies.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Only 2 ounces of tc-w3 added to fuel for a wankel? I thought the engine itself is a 2 stroke.

You must be joking, right?

Originally Posted By: Finn
Only 2 ounces of tc-w3 added to fuel for a wankel? I thought the engine itself is a 2 stroke.

You must be joking, right?

It's an understandable error, but the Wankel operates on a conventional 4-stroke cycle.

Only 2 ounces of tc-w3 added to fuel for a wankel? I thought the engine itself is a 2 stroke. Shouldn't there be more?

No. They do burn some oil by design, but it's not a 2 stroke. I think I've read more oil controversy with respect to Wankels than any other family of engine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

No. They do burn some oil by design, but it's not a 2 stroke. I think I've read more oil controversy with respect to Wankels than any other family of engine.
wink.gif

Thanks.

My 1990 RX-7 GTU non-turbo liked PYB in 10w40 flavor. I recently changed the oil to Rotella T6 Synth 5w40. It's definitely burning more of the synth (as per the common belief with Rotory engines) but is otherwise running great.

I use a splash of Redline Fuel System Cleaner with every gas fill up. Starts easier and idles better vs when no Redline is in the gas.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Those have oil injection on start up dont they? - wouldnt need and UCL since there is no Upper Cylinder - or any cylinder
smile.gif

While they don't have a traditional reciprocating engine type of cylinder they do benefit greatly from some type of lube in the gas. Wankel's require a lubricant in the combustion chamber to promote seal longevity, in particular the Apex seals. It's why mazda Wankels are designed to burn a little oil, and why so many (particularly H.O. applications)run additional lubricants in the gas;mostly 2t oil.

Artem how's the t6 been working for you? I've always heard all the rotary guys say to stay away from synthetic. Except for the Idemitsu rotary syn(the one used in the 787b motor).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Those have oil injection on start up dont they? - wouldnt need and UCL since there is no Upper Cylinder - or any cylinder
smile.gif

That's what I thought too.
I know that when the crank turns and that triangle goes against the combustion chamber walls the oil itself creates the seal. If it was dry it wouldn't seal well at all and would run horribly. On a piston engine the rings around the piston is what seals and holds in the compression.
They are such a neat engine. I raced my buddy in his RX-8 from a dig. My mustang smoked him however I would look very foolish racing against him in an autocross event.
When I drove his RX-8 I found that torque was non existent and I needed to rev it to 6000rpm to launch but the handling was phenomenal compared to my mustang. And the powerband was so long. All you would need is the first 3 gears really auto crossing it.
It reminded me of a crotch rocket(rx-8) vs a built Harley(mustang). The torque in the mustang shreds the rubber,liquefying the tires but once the rx started to get some rpm,like 6000rpm and above it didn't stop pulling.
Great cars.

Yes,

I use lube in the fuel, I run cycles for the rotary motor. 1st tank I use 6oz of TC-W3 2 Cycle oil, next I use Fuel cleaner, next tank I use MMO, next clean tank, then restart the cycle. Ben running GREAT!

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback. Been looking around, I think I am going to use the Valvoline 30 for my car. yes, they do burn a little oil by design: 1 Quart every 1,000 miles on my newly rebuilt engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back