I will never have a heart attack..

I said eating meats of all kinds, including chicken and fish, increases the risk of diabetes. Also, even eating meat in moderation seems to raise the risk in studies.

The best way to protect yourself against COVID is to get the best vaccine out there—also known as Moderna. I agree that COVID is nothing to mess with—chances are that it will be worse than any flu you ever had if you get it. The vaccines have some side effects, severe in only rare cases, but the only reason for that is that they simulate the COVID virus, and the actual virus will do a lot more harm than these side effects.

I have had worse viruses than this Coronavirus... And yes I had it. Tested positive and then negative after 16 days.

I had a super bad virus in January 96 that I was so jacked up that I was starting to hallucinate. My temp was 103.9 when my mom got home that afternoon and I felt much better then at 530 than I did 3 hours earlier that afternoon. I guarantee I was 105 that afternoon. It was the worst I have ever felt with any other virus. I had a bad one in March 2002 where I had a temp of 104.5 and it was very rough. Though not as bad as the one in 1996. And it only lasted 4 days.

This virus I had a temp 99.8 to 100.8 for the first 7 days... Then my baseline went up to 101 and highest was 102.2 . Finally broke the temp on day 11. Had a bad day with a cough days 2-3. Otherwise not all that "bad". However... Did have very noticeable periods of shortness of breath... Even after day 14. Oxygen level was 90 percent on room air 3 times. Not good. Though thankfully it was short lived.

Having said that...

I believe the longevity is a big part of the issue. Most bad viruses last just 3-6 days. The one I had in 96 lasted 5 days. A longer time with a virus just introduces more opportunity for other problems.

Blood clot formation is a huge issue with this virus. Lovenox or low weight molecular heparin and aspirin are given to counter that. Blood thickening in the lungs stops normal oxygen and carbon dioxide transfer. Also viscous blood cause loss of respiratory capacity. Also stasis of blood in the lung bases is a great medium for infection to set in too. Other medications are helpful with helping to thin the blood or stop platelet formation.

The vaccines have certainly caused blood clots... And it has caused some real problems and very undesirable results for some people too.

That being said... I think people over the age of 50+ especially if they have a certain health conditions like DM, over weight, high blood pressure, history of respiratory illness, they should get the vaccine if they desire to. It should be their own sovereign choice. But I would recommend they do that. My mom and step father did get it and it was deft a right action for them to take given their medical history.

Anyone with a family or personal history of blood clots should be very mindful about that being a issue with either a vaccine or the actual virus. Someone who is on warfarin may need their INR checked once the have a positive diagnosis with the virus. It's possible they may need a adjustment while they are sick and just after getting over the virus. Or if they get the vaccine... Get a INR checked prior to the vaccine being given. And have it checked a few days after getting the vaccine.

Last edited:
I'm trying to strip this of the magic words, so bear with me if the quote was severely clipped. I'm just going over some basics, which are that many people who are clinically "infected" with a viral disease are asymptomatic. I've even heard that 25% or more of people infected with common cold viruses have no symptoms. And the really weird thing about the common cold is that the viruses that cause it aren't particularly damaging to infected cells. Being asymptomatic with the common cold doesn't really affect how long infections last. Also the stuff about bed rest and drinking lots of water may just be more about comfort than anything else.

But vaccines don't necessarily simulate an infection. By design they shouldn't. But the body sees whatever little pieces are presented and reacts to them in ways that produce antibodies that find those parts of viruses, like blowing out a car tire. That may create a milder form of the inflammation that the immune system puts out. And that's the really nutty thing about a lot of generally mild diseases, which are that you're feeling bad because the body is hitting itself with friendly fire even if a particular virus is next to harmless.
I think being asymptomatic only happens because you are exposed to a very small viral load, and your immune system is able to sufficiently contain the virus before it can invade. So, in that sense, being exposed to a very small viral load and being asymptomatic is like getting a vaccine. I doubt anyone who isn't vaccinated can remain asymptomatic if exposed to a large enough viral load. The same goes for the cold and flu. COVID is especially contagious, particularly the latest delta variant, and it's harder for it to go away asymptomatic. Everyone gets a bad cold or flu at one point, and COVID can be very bad, much worse than a bad flu, for anyone.

I have seen many older people pass away from...... A regular "bad viral flu"....

Especially in the winter of 2017-18.

The two previous years no one passed away from the seasonal virus. No one. .

In that bad virus season.... It hit hard.
It was a hard time for me. I lost a number of people I cared for very much.

I have seen many older people pass away from...... A regular "bad viral flu"....

Especially in the winter of 2017-18.

The two previous years no one passed away from the seasonal virus. No one. .

In that bad virus season.... It hit hard.
It was a hard time for me. I lost a number of people I cared for very much.

This is something a lot of people don’t realize. The flu kills tens of thousands in the US each year. Some years are obviously worse.

I haven’t seen any numbers on flu deaths for this year or the past one.

I think being asymptomatic only happens because you are exposed to a very small viral load, and your immune system is able to sufficiently contain the virus before it can invade. So, in that sense, being exposed to a very small viral load and being asymptomatic is like getting a vaccine. I doubt anyone who isn't vaccinated can remain asymptomatic if exposed to a large enough viral load. The same goes for the cold and flu. COVID is especially contagious, particularly the latest delta variant, and it's harder for it to go away asymptomatic. Everyone gets a bad cold or flu at one point, and COVID can be very bad, much worse than a bad flu, for anyone.

It might be a little more complicated that that I would think. Some studies show that asymptomatic cold infections have lower viral loads, but the reason why is unclear. But even when there are symptoms, it's clear that common cold viruses themselves aren't terribly damaging. It's the immune response that's the worst part.

While other respiratory viruses, such as influenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), cause a destruction of airway epithelial cells, HRV is seldom associated with cytopathology of the upper respiratory tract. Using light and scanning electron microscopy of nasal biopsy specimens from subjects with natural colds, Winther et al. found that epithelial cells were sloughed; however, the epithelial cell lining and borders remained structurally intact. A similar preservation of cell morphology and composition was observed for the nasal epithelium during studies of experimental HRV infection, where the amount of viral shedding did not correlate with the severity of symptoms. However, HRV does disrupt epithelial cell barrier function by the dissociation of zona occludens 1 from the tight junction complex, thereby facilitating the transmigration of bacteria and exposing basolateral epithelial cell receptors such as Toll-like receptors (TLRs)).​

But there's no doubt that certain viruses damage the cells they take over. But the common cold doesn't cause much damage at all. The symptoms are more a matter of the immune response. There have been some comparisons to allergies and a few claims that allergy suffers are more likely to be symptomatic when infected with a common cold virus.

This is something a lot of people don’t realize. The flu kills tens of thousands in the US each year. Some years are obviously worse.
I haven’t seen any numbers on flu deaths for this year or the past one.
The data is out there, about 20k from 2019-2020. Can't seem to find 2020-2021 data yet. I think they said it was very low probably due to all the precautions people are taking regarding the current pandemic, those also stop the flu from spreading.

I specifically remember Hank Gathers. I was in college at the time. The thing with him is that he was already diagnosed with a irregular heartbeat and was on medications. But he didn't like how if felt and got it cut back. Rumors were that he didn't take his meds on game days. I read about how someone saw him running around the track outside the basketball arena the day he died. He was willing to risk his life for basketball and ended up paying with his life.

I think it was "Pistol Pete" Maravich who dropped dead on the basketball court back in 1988, at 40 years of age. He had just given an interview to some local sports reporter, after playing a pickup game at a local church. And when asked how he was feeling, he said he, "felt great!" He walked away a few steps, and dropped dead right on the court.

The data is out there, about 20k from 2019-2020. Can't seem to find 2020-2021 data yet. I think they said it was very low probably due to all the precautions people are taking regarding the current pandemic, those also stop the flu from spreading.

That's correct, and COVID is perhaps about fifty times deadlier and about fifty times more contagious than the flu; so, they aren't comparable in the dangers they pose.

That said, I also got my flu shot. It's much better to avoid the flu and days lost in bed than the minor fatigue and slightly running nose the vaccine causes for about a week.

“You do not know the day nor the hour.”

It still holds true after all these centuries. I found out one night after a evening with friends. I felt fine. Next thing I know I am in a hospital bed. Everything in between is fuzzy or unknown.

All you can do is eat properly and moderately. Exercise. Stay away from dangerous substances. With a little luck may you live to a hundred years.

“You do not know the day nor the hour.”

It still holds true after all these centuries. I found out one night after a evening with friends. I felt fine. Next thing I know I am in a hospital bed. Everything in between is fuzzy or unknown.

All you can do is eat properly and moderately. Exercise. Stay away from dangerous substances. With a little luck may you live to a hundred years.
That can happen even if you exercise. I knew one guy who was pretty fast and he ran a race one hot day and he said he sat down after the race and woke up in the hospital. He had heat stroke, guess he didn't hydrate enough, the fast ones barely drink any water.

That can happen even if you exercise. I knew one guy who was pretty fast and he ran a race one hot day and he said he sat down after the race and woke up in the hospital. He had heat stroke, guess he didn't hydrate enough, the fast ones barely drink any water.

There's always hubris. There was a woman who died in the Grand Canyon. She went in with minimal water. She had run a marathon in about 3 hours, but the heat, altitude, and lack of humidity was really bad. But I've been there before, and the thing that's always emphasized is to have enough water. I had nearly a gallon with me. They also started late, which meant it would be really hot later in their hike.

Here is where the two runners made their first mistakes. They set off nearly four hours after sunrise, several hours later than rangers advise distance hikers to begin on summer days, and they were traveling dangerously light. Bradley’s companion had four liters of water. She carried fruit, three protein bars and just two bottles of water (about 1.5 liters). They carried no maps, and Bradley apparently had no flashlight or headlamp.​
From Grandview Point, the two headed down an unmaintained, waterless path built by a prospector about 100 years ago, descending 2,600 vertical feet in just three miles. From there they planned to descend farther, then follow the Tonto Trail across the notoriously hot and shadeless Tonto Plateau, about 1,000 feet above the river. Then they’d climb back out on the busier South Kaibab Trail, which tops off at 7,000 feet.​
It’s unclear why they thought they could do this route in a day, or where they expected to get water. “Not recommended during summer,” says the Park Service’s free trail guide. “No water.”​
“This would be a two- or three-day backpack trip with a lot of planning,” says Yeston, who served as incident commander. “And the optimum time to do it would be fall,” adds Ken Phillips, the park’s search and rescue coordinator.​
The dicey distance, the scant supplies: Is this the kind of hubris that could afflict any gonzo hiker or runner? In runners’ chat rooms, speculation has been divided between those who see this as rare bad judgment and those who see it as an all-too-common mistake that happened to wind up more dramatically than most.​

That’s where the first line comes in. I knew someone who was really fit and into Ironman competitions. He had a mild stroke.

Last I heard he is back to running and cycling but no more Ironman.

None of us are the same. Genetics can make or break a person.
This.. can't outrun your genes. You might stay a little ahead but not by much. I ride at least 65 miles on the bike weekly and my cholesterol is still border line high. My grandpa's side has heart problems galore. Just lost a cousin at 38, same genes.

But vaccines don't necessarily simulate an infection. By design they shouldn't. But the body sees whatever little pieces are presented and reacts to them in ways that produce antibodies that find those parts of viruses, like blowing out a car tire. That may create a milder form of the inflammation that the immune system puts out. And that's the really nutty thing about a lot of generally mild diseases, which are that you're feeling bad because the body is hitting itself with friendly fire even if a particular virus is next to harmless.
Right- vaccines are not like having your enemy mount an attack with unarmed weapons or a tiny attack that you expect. They're much more like putting your soldiers through a course that teaches them how to identify their aircraft using captured aircraft, or maybe destroyed aircraft.

The mRNA vaccines are kind of analogous to stealing the enemy's blueprints, and using those and your own factories to make mockups to train your antiaircraft crews with. There aren't actually any weapons involved at any point.

When we feel sick after having vaccines, the equivalent in my analogy is the effect of the noise, smoke, missiles, AA shells, etc... that are fired in training. They may mess up someone's day in the town adjacent to the military base (i.e. making you sick).

And w.r.t. heart disease/no heart attacks.... Statistically speaking the nearly 60% decline in heart disease deaths since 1950 just means that people live longer on average and are more likely to get cancer as they get older, as they're not dying off early from heart attacks like they used to. So if it seems like more people are dying from cancer, you're right- because they're NOT dying of heart disease as much as they used to.

Right- vaccines are not like having your enemy mount an attack with unarmed weapons or a tiny attack that you expect. They're much more like putting your soldiers through a course that teaches them how to identify their aircraft using captured aircraft, or maybe destroyed aircraft.

The mRNA vaccines are kind of analogous to stealing the enemy's blueprints, and using those and your own factories to make mockups to train your antiaircraft crews with. There aren't actually any weapons involved at any point.

When we feel sick after having vaccines, the equivalent in my analogy is the effect of the noise, smoke, missiles, AA shells, etc... that are fired in training. They may mess up someone's day in the town adjacent to the military base (i.e. making you sick).

It's really hard to come up with any good analogies, because viruses, antibodies, and vaccines don't really compare all that well to examples that we see at a macro level. But at the core, all it takes is something that can find a piece of a virus and just take that piece apart. A virus isn't a large, complex organism. A virus simply won't be viable once a little piece has been taken apart.

I think it was "Pistol Pete" Maravich who dropped dead on the basketball court back in 1988, at 40 years of age. He had just given an interview to some local sports reporter, after playing a pickup game at a local church. And when asked how he was feeling, he said he, "felt great!" He walked away a few steps, and dropped dead right on the court.
I remember hearing some interesting stuff about Pistol Pete - the autopsy revealed that he'd been born with only one carotid artery. I believe normal is two. Anyway, that one artery had to do the work of two, supplying the entire heart with oxygenated blood. It's amazing he lived to 40.

Refined sugars and carbs raise the insulin the greatest. Protein not so much. Fat almost zero. Genetics plays the greatest part in longevity .
life styles considered.
As they say, choose your parents wisely. ;)

I remember hearing some interesting stuff about Pistol Pete - the autopsy revealed that he'd been born with only one carotid artery. I believe normal is two. Anyway, that one artery had to do the work of two, supplying the entire heart with oxygenated blood. It's amazing he lived to 40.

As they say, choose your parents wisely. ;)
My bad here - I meant coronary artery, not carotid artery! Big difference.

I worked on and installed Heart Cath Labs. While I was at one of the Labs a local Cardiologist was doing a lady just 34 years old. Her heart was in terrible shape and I commented to him about the bad condition. He told me she takes good care of herself and eats right and was not overweight. All genetics.

Back