I want to go 5W-20 in my GM 3100 Series III "L82"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned several of GM's 60 degree V6's. They're great little engines.
Never had the often reported and seldom seen intake manifold coolant leak either.

Regarding oil: Just my
49.gif

IMHO the gas mileage difference between 5W20 and 5W30 can fit comfortably underneath a persons fingernail. A percent or two at best. IMHO the 5W30 will protect much better under high temp high load conditions.

I recommend to change the oil often for awhile with dino 5W30 to clean out any possible sludge deposits. Maybe a little MMO during the last 500 miles of the OCI. After you are satisfied that it is clean enough inside; a "synthetic" may be in order based on your preference and budget.

Good luck Sir.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The OP owns the vehicle for 3 months, has a low coolant light issue, [which could be a faulty unit] but certainly worth pressue testing the system before replacing the sensor. JMO
With eyes alone, one can see whether the coolant level switch should be on. It's a translucent tank and you can see where the switch inserts into it.

So far, great info. A couple of things:

1) My tank is still "Dirty" this is AFTER i took it out of the car ad flushed it out in my sink for 10 minutes or so. Someone told me that "Dexcool turns BLACK" when exposed to air. It was pretty bad when i bought the car. Three flushes of changing the coolant and two bottles of white vinegar later, the coolant appears to "run out clean" from the upper hose when removed.. the reservior trank is till dirty and looks like i washed my hands in it i how the water looks. Cap is dirty, i washed it out three times and its "better," but the first few times it had BLACK-ish crud not a MAYO-type consistency but an actual DIRT consistency.

2) I dont think this car has a Blown HG. How does this "Intake gasket" compare to a Head Gasket?

3) Typical GM, runs hot as [censored]. I cant keep my hand on the upper hose. It gets [censored] hot! Temp gauge will creep above halfway if i let it run sitting for ~5 minutes. Willgo back down within one minute of moving.

4) Changed coolant again yesterday. Coolant looks pink/purple. Also looks clean.

5) I will clean my tank again it DOES stay off sometimes.

6) Gonna try M1 AFE 0W-30 after this ST 5W-30 in there now.

I had the similar motor years ago in my Cutlass Ciera. The 3.0L motor. That thing loved Quaker State 20W40. I know you cant get that anymore, so I`d use a stout 30w for that baby. That was a torquey motor,and really ran well. good fuel millage too if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I have the 3.4 engine in my grand am and when sitting or driving slowly, the temps would creep up. Changed out the water pump and problem solved. I wouldn't run Xw20 in that beast. Just run a good 0w30. M1 0w30 AFE seems like it would give you what you're looking for and still stay in-grade, depending on how much it shears in that motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back