I want a used Land Rover LR4

So you actually own one and are commenting from experience? How dare you:D

It is interesting how many of the negative comments are from folks who haven't owned recent LR/RR's. Yes the older ones have a well deserved reputation recent ones, as in the last 15 years or so, are pretty good. I had three from new since 2011. Mine were painless, except for DEF issues on the diesel one, but those are not exclusive to the brand.
Owned it for over a decade!!! And there are no rust issues at all. Frame looks perfect! Body is spotless too. I don't like the hitch design, but that's about it. I don't think there is a vehicle as nice to drive on road and as capable off road, except for a new Disco!

Have a little wrench time and a little seat time in one. Loved the suspension feel… felt ready to climb over anything - wonderfully set up. Had more driveline woes than we could shake a stick at, literally, couldn’t ever get any of it balanced right. Couldn’t get a wrench on the front of the engine without pulling the front end apart. I was helping my buddy troubleshoot issues with it. He got out of it as soon as he could. Great to drive. I would prefer to wrench on something a bit less crammed together.

GX460 is just a pimped out 4Runner... which is not saying much - but they are reliable rides.

I sort of agree about the LR3 V8 choice. A lot of truck for the money - All issues known - a little more basic -
Except for the V8, permanent awd system with torsen center diff and standard KDSS. All things that make it somewhat comparable.

Hey folks.
Please tell me why I should or should not buy a used (2014-16) Land Rover LR4 reliability wise.
This car sits in my head for a while now.
Are you the kind of guy who walks into a strip club near a military installation and points to the hottest girl and says "I'm going to wife HER!"? If so, a used Land Rover is for you!

Are you the kind of guy who walks into a strip club near a military installation and points to the hottest girl and says "I'm going to wife HER!"? If so, a used Land Rover is for you!
Still better than Mazda! LOL Mazdas rust before the first owner can trade 'em in!

Still better than Mazda! LOL Mazdas rust before the first owner can trade 'em in!
My Jeep actually had more rust, sooner, than either of my Mazda's. Took $300 to repair the roofline in my 2010 Jeep in 2014. OOF! Required some body work, too, I believe, as it had pitted badly.

My Jeep actually had more rust, sooner, than either of my Mazda's. Took $300 to repair the roofline in my 2010 Jeep in 2014. OOF! Required some body work, too, I believe, as it had pitted badly.
At least a Jeep is worth fixing! What's a Mazda even good for? Can't off road, not the best in the snow, not as nice to drive as a BMW. Kind of just a want to be BMW! Still, the rustiest vehicles I see here are Mazdas! My Jeeps are perfectly rust free too.

At least a Jeep is worth fixing! What's a Mazda even good for? Can't off road, not the best in the snow, not as nice to drive as a BMW. Kind of just a want to be BMW! Still, the rustiest vehicles I see here are Mazdas! My Jeeps are perfectly rust free too.
Mine does great in the snow, gets great mileage, etc. My Jeep did similiar in the snow, but was a 2010 so it wasnt as controllable due to less awd and yaw control software. Honestly, no modern vehicle has real rust issues right now.

If I went by internet blather I wouldn't have owned many cars in the last 40 years. Funny though all these Euro cars that can be seen littered along the roads of Europe broke down (not) have been dependable and long lasting. May be it has something to do with the guy that owns them and maintains them.

Mine does great in the snow, gets great mileage, etc. My Jeep did similiar in the snow, but was a 2010 so it wasnt as controllable due to less awd and yaw control software. Honestly, no modern vehicle has real rust issues right now.
It will not go through deep snow like a Jeep or LR can. GM and Mazda still have rust issues up here, I see Mazdas newer than my Jeeps and LR3 with holes in the tailgates and dragging their bumpers from the quarter panels and fenders rusting. Can't imagine what they look like underneath. GM truck frames are brown in 2 years and have holes in the boxes before 5 years old.

It will not go through deep snow like a Jeep or LR can. GM and Mazda still have rust issues up here, I see Mazdas newer than my Jeeps and LR3 with holes in the tailgates and dragging their bumpers from the quarter panels and fenders rusting. Can't imagine what they look like underneath. GM truck frames are brown in 2 years and have holes in the boxes before 5 years old.
Yes, it only has 7.5" ground clearance so its kindof limited there.

GX460 is just a pimped out 4Runner... which is not saying much - but they are reliable rides.

I sort of agree about the LR3 V8 choice. A lot of truck for the money - All issues known - a little more basic -
Nonsense, GX460 is Lexus’ version of Toyota Land Cruiser Prado which was never available in the US.

Nonsense, GX460 is Lexus’ version of Toyota Land Cruiser Prado which was never available in the US.
the prado story is pretty simple. toyota got tired of mitsubishi stealing all their customers and put a swing door on the surf.

lift the cab off a gx460 and it’s the same as a 5th gen 4runner

Last edited:
Back