I want a Geo Metro

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
Preferably a 3-door hatchback, 1.0/5-speed, ideally no airbags though I don't know what year they started putting them in.

There's almost always one or two for sale on the local Craigslist but they're beat to pieces.

Older machinist friend of mine has a '92, had it since it was nearly new. He also has a Ford Ranger which he drives around town but uses the Geo for highway trips. I've driven it a couple times; it's not TOO uncomfortable and gets 50+ mpg highway.

All anyone can say is keep looking. There's a garage kept time capsule out there somewhere.
I'd think they'd all be rusted away by now....except for the lucky, rare find.
A coworker LOVED his but it rusted beyond all repair. In fact, his good 'n game mechanic who'd been keeping it alive drew the line AND my coworker understood.

I can't recall when I last saw one. Maybe 15 years ago, and the last few I saw were beat to death.

Good luck in your search.

Funny, I almost pulled the trigger on a Renault Alliance a while back...I cant tell you why aside from my parents had one when I was in college and I drove it a lot. Good days.

Just curious, why a Metro?

There will be one out there somewhere, there is even a owners' forum w/ 'cars for sale'; Geo Metro Forum

Why not get a newer Mirage? Same idea, maybe not the same mpg but more features, safety, etc. Just avoid the CVT.

Just a thought. The Metro's were cool in their own right, but they're pretty long in tooth by now.

a friend of mine's coworker died in one. it wasnt that bad an accident.. but the car crumpled into a ball. I'd pass.
A co-worker of mine had one. She hated it. Told her it was one of the top 10 death cars. Others on that list were Mustang and Corvette but also small cars like the Metro.

Why not get a newer Mirage? Same idea, maybe not the same mpg but more features, safety, etc. Just avoid the CVT.

Just a thought. The Metro's were cool in their own right, but they're pretty long in tooth by now.

Its hard for me to believe I'm saying this.. but I think I'd rather have a mirage as well.. haha I know some folks like the chevy sparks as well. I don't see anything so endearing about the metro's to seek one out over a newer and perhaps safer econobox. You might even have better luck finding a decent Saturn and that'd be bigger and get 40+ with the 5spd.

Its hard for me to believe I'm saying this.. but I think I'd rather have a mirage as well.. haha I know some folks like the chevy sparks as well. I don't see anything so endearing about the metro's to seek one out over a newer and perhaps safer econobox. You might even have better luck finding a decent Saturn and that'd be bigger and get 40+ with the 5spd.
I bought a 2000 SL (no number) and it was 5 speed with *manual* steering. I wished it had manual brakes too, but they all had power brakes. Not a bad car, I recall getting 40mpg when it was new, but as life went on and the oil burning started, it did seem to dip down to 36. Then again, as time went on, I did tend to drive faster too...

I like the idea of the Mirage, nice cheap runabout. I gave it serious thought a few years ago but at the time I did nothing but highway driving. Metro's are cool and parts availability is probably good, but it's still getting pretty old.

You won't find a Mirage anywhere near the $800-$1000 that a decent Metro will sell for. I assume you haven't driven one before, but it's feels nice and light without the need for power steering, and handles like a go cart, almost. A pleasant car overall that is cheap and easy to maintain. Had 13 of them over the years including one Pontiac version. In typical bitog fashion, an OP asks about a car they want, then people start telling him to buy something else THEY like.

I bought a 2000 SL (no number) and it was 5 speed with *manual* steering. I wished it had manual brakes too, but they all had power brakes. Not a bad car, I recall getting 40mpg when it was new, but as life went on and the oil burning started, it did seem to dip down to 36. Then again, as time went on, I did tend to drive faster too...

I like the idea of the Mirage, nice cheap runabout. I gave it serious thought a few years ago but at the time I did nothing but highway driving. Metro's are cool and parts availability is probably good, but it's still getting pretty old.

I actually got a 5spd Saturn wagon as a beater and it had engine problems I could never get sorted out. Other few saturns I had were fine. I ended up with my Mazda 3 hatch which really gets pretty mediocre gas mileage (I get roughly 23/29 city/hwy) but is pretty stinking fun to drive and has leather and heated seats.. I should note those MPG's are with me driving it like a rented camel 90% of the time.

You won't find a Mirage anywhere near the $800-$1000 that a decent Metro will sell for. I assume you haven't driven one before, but it's feels nice and light without the need for power steering, and handles like a go cart, almost. A pleasant car overall that is cheap and easy to maintain. Had 13 of them over the years including one Pontiac version. In typical bitog fashion, an OP asks about a car they want, then people start telling him to buy something else THEY like.

I don't think anyone was telling them to buy something else. Just giving other options to consider. I know when I was on my cheap beater search for a manual Saturn wagon I overlooked other perfectly good options for no reason. I've daily driven a Samurai, so I do appreciate the desire for simple tiny go cart transportation.

I'll suggest checking out FB marketplace for a Metro in your area. FB marketplace totally killed Craigslist around here..

I know someone that hit a racoon and totaled his Metro. Bent the A-Arm back and pushed it right trough the transmission. I think ATV's were made stronger than these things. My friend had one and it got good mileage, but build quality was junk. Knobs and latches fell of and broke all the time

I know someone that hit a racoon and totaled his Metro. Bent the A-Arm back and pushed it right trough the transmission. I think ATV's were made stronger than these things. My friend had one and it got good mileage, but build quality was junk. Knobs and latches fell of and broke all the time
Really? I guess if the A arm was half rusted through and a huge raccoon. Funny thing is my 2000 kingquad does use some suzuki swift parts in the brakes, and CV boots.
I test drove a turbo firefly 20 years ago and it was kind of fun. It would be fun to put a motorcycle engine in one, even just fwd. For ice racing a guy made an R1 powered AWD one and was in a class of his own.

I can't recall when I last saw one. Maybe 15 years ago, and the last few I saw were beat to death.

Good luck in your search.
Shoot, there must be a thousand of them in Levy County, FL. See them all over the place, most just not in good shape

Funny, I almost pulled the trigger on a Renault Alliance a while back...I cant tell you why aside from my parents had one when I was in college and I drove it a lot. Good days.

Just curious, why a Metro?

There will be one out there somewhere, there is even a owners' forum w/ 'cars for sale'; Geo Metro Forum
They're dead simple and parts are available. I like the platform.
Didn't know about that forum; I'll check it out.

I know a guy who has hit several deer in his; even ran over one. Worst damage he's sustained is a broken headlight.

Last edited:
Very similar, but I had a 92' Geo Storm manual. It was my first new car. Very reliable, but the safety ratings were poor, compared to modern vehicles. I'd look for something newer, for safety reasons.

Back