I took a Geo for a drive yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me of a 92 Geo Metro for sale that's about 30 miles away, so I went to take a look at it yesterday. It's a 4 door (yes!) 3 cylinder (yes!) automatic (ew!) and here's the funny part, the current owner, a rather attractive female, painted it p-p-p-PINK!. So I hop in and look at the odometer and the car only has 115000 kms, that's just 71000 miles! It was owned by her grandmother, then she purchased it a bit over a year ago. I took it out for a spin, and I was surprised. I thought it would be dog-slow, but really it wasn't. It got up to speed faster than my mother's 94 Aspire. It wasn't even that noisy at 65 mph either. It rode nice, brakes work well and steering is nice and light too. I turned around after a short distance, then went back. I asked her what kind of fuel mileage she's getting from the car, and she said she gets about 280 miles out of 7.5 gallons, that averages out to be 37.4 mpg which is really good for a 14 year old Geo, that's actually better than my old 93 Geo with the 5 speed. She said it needs rear brakes and maybe a small amount of exhaust work. She's asking 1000. Maybe if I can somehow find a way to get 800 bucks, I'll offer that to her. She's leaving for training in the Navy Reserve for 2 months so she wants the car sold by the end of the month. Man, if I could just get my big ol' Ford sold. Someone actually emailed me about it and said they might be interested, so there's hope yet.

You'd surely would stand out. I'd get the windows super duper dark tinted so I wouldn't be recognized.

So in summary, she's attractive and understands that it needs "rear brakes"...not just "brakes". If she's single, you need to snatch her up...sounds like a BITOG keeper.

Just not the neon colors that are around. Maybe some dark green?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
You'd surely would stand out. I'd get the windows super duper dark tinted so I wouldn't be recognized.

Good idea. I was going to suggest an Earl Schieb el-cheapo paint job, but tinting the winows would be cheaper.

Nice cars though, I've known some people that put a lot of miles on them with poor maintenance and no problems.

She probably stole gas from every station in town and now everyone is on the lookout for that hot pink metro.
smile.gif

J/K sounds nice. Look for rust.

Don't forget the vinyl daisy decals and spinner wheelcovers. Something fuzzy crawling across the back window . . . no matter what happens, you'll always have an ironclad alibi for your whereabouts.

Update: Sold my Crown Vic last night, so I'm going up later today to give the Geo another lookover and then I'll buy it. I've got $1080 in my wallet. Hopefully she'll let the car go for 800, that way I'd have enough to get it registered into my name and I'd be able to bring it home tomorrow if all goes well.

good way to do it. keeps the cars from piling up on the lawn.

Around here people try private-selling cars at insanely high prices, then after they've sat for two years the junkyard comes and hauls them off for free.
dunno.gif
Human nature
banghead.gif

"Around here people try private-selling cars at insanely high prices, then after they've sat for two years the junkyard comes and hauls them off for free. Human nature"

Bah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greedy bums. Whatever happened to being good to fellow humanoids.

The nice young couple with two munchkins came to see the 1991 Previa I had for sale.

Was asking $2,000 for a well-maintained reliable van. Went along to the mechanic the chap wanted to inspect the critter. Discovered a few things that needed done so I dropped the price. Hey.... it WAS a really nice young couple...... I dropped the price to $300. The $1,700 drop would cover ALL the repairs, even the most minor ones and would leave enough left to allow the guy to take a day off work.

The chap and his wife were stunned. I knew I was dealing with good folks when he stated he would pay $500 instead of the $300 I asked.

I'm not rich but, as I said before, whatever happened to being nice to fellow travellers on this speck of dust in a vast universe?

I have a hard time believing that a 3cyl. Geo would be quicker than the Aspire.. unless something was wrong with the Aspire. I've driven a Geo similiar to the one you test drove and Aspire so this is based on first hand experience. The Geo's gearing is better for in town sprints though. It should be averaging close to 50 with that 3cyl... the families Aspire averages 38 and the Festiva's average 42 and if I remember right our grandparents Geo (similiar to that one) averaged 48. How did she paint it? If it's with the rattle can take a good power washer to it.

****, car was sold before I had a chance to get back to it. It must have sold some time on the weekend
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back