I Want a Darker-colored Oil

Why do you have to check the oil? Its a Toyota Hybrid !
I would say add an ounce of LiquiMoly MoS2 but I cant "officially" recommend using that in and engine with a oil filter.

But 1 oz shouldnt hurt and may help! - Ken
Apart from more mundane reasons, several years of the Prius had oil usage problems .... a quart for 800 - 1000 miles was not uncommon.

I haven't come across that many lighter coloured oils recently.
The Shell Helix Ultra & Castrol Magantec were both honey coloured. Unless you consider that light?

Apart from more mundane reasons, several years of the Prius had oil usage problems .... a quart for 800 - 1000 miles was not uncommon.

Correction:

"All years of the Prius had oil usage problems."

It's the nature of the beast. When you start/stop an an engine 20-50 times a drive vs. once, things get wonky.

My solution to the oil color issue was to not change it for 40,000 miles. I added about 20 qts of oil as needed. Actually, color had nothing to do with it. Working two jobs and not caring enough about my salvage title '08. 195K miles, and the **** thing won't die.

While many obsess about keeping the oil at the top mark, the conventional wisdom is that the oil level doesn't matter in the Prius as long as it's between the two marks, and that's about 1.6qts difference. If you can visually confirm your level is between the marks, you're good to go.

Correction:

"All years of the Prius had oil usage problems."

It's the nature of the beast. When you start/stop an an engine 20-50 times a drive vs. once, things get wonky.

My solution to the oil color issue was to not change it for 40,000 miles. I added about 20 qts of oil as needed. Actually, color had nothing to do with it. Working two jobs and not caring enough about my salvage title '08. 195K miles, and the **** thing won't die.

While many obsess about keeping the oil at the top mark, the conventional wisdom is that the oil level doesn't matter in the Prius as long as it's between the two marks, and that's about 1.6qts difference. If you can visually confirm your level is between the marks, you're good to go.

Then we should be seeing a lot of oil guzzlers on the road then with all the hybrids and the Stop/Start systems in regular cars.

... "All years of the Prius had oil usage problems."

It's the nature of the beast. When you start/stop an an engine 20-50 times a drive vs. once, things get wonky. ...
Then howcum mine has no oil usage problem so far? In fact, it probably guzzles less than any other vehicle I've ever dealt with.

Post-2015 or so ones, with revised rings, are supposed to be less prone to oil consumption.

This is the only reason I use Royal Purple in my lawn mower and snow blower. I can’t see a standard oil color on the stick. I extend my changes as well.

I also haven't used Kendall in years but, used Kendall 60 weight in a Harley I had back in the '80's. I remember it being black straight out of the can.

Back