I Want a Darker-colored Oil

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've recently taken a greater hand in maintaining sweetie's Prius. The oil that we put in at the last change (SuperTech 5W-30 Full Synthetic) is, fine for the situation. However, at least in the Prius, it is so clear that literally cannot read the dipstick. I'd like to find a good syn, 5w-30, that has a bit more color to it. The M1 that I run in the Camry seems to be a little darker, but I'd like some suggestions on what else might work.

I've recently taken a greater hand in maintaining sweetie's Prius. The oil that we put in at the last change (SuperTech 5W-30 Full Synthetic) is, fine for the situation. However, at least in the Prius, it is so clear that literally cannot read the dipstick. I'd like toi find a good syn, 5w-30, that has a bit more color to it. The M1 that I run in the Camry seems to be a little darker, but I'd like some suggestions on what else might work.
You gotta love this 1st world issue and concern.😉

With NEW oil, indeed it is hard to see because it is so light. What I do is; take out the diptick, wipe the dipstick clean, stick it back in and look for the glossy oil sheen on the matte stick to read the level. Over the OCI, in my cars atleast, the oil darkens and is easy to read.

Paint the dipstick?

Have you tried to shine a flashlight at it? as i’ve gotten older, i find i need far more light to see things.
Well, it crossed my mind that the dipstick color might be contributing to the problem, and I thought it might be worthwhile to look into some mods to the stick.

Yeah, last night I used a flashlight while in the garage ... no real help. What I've been doing is running my finger over the stick to get a feel for where the oil is, but that's a little messier than I'd like, and not very accurate. Next time I check, I'm going to try a paper towel to see where the oil is absorbed. Age has affected my vision, as well.

Just put 0w40 Mobil 1 in and the line of oil will pop better. I got a new RX8 once with 5w20 which was impossible to read. That 0w40 fixed it.

I use a flashlight to see the oil level. Once you put some miles on the oil it will likely darken and be easier to see...

just my $0.02

Reactions: JC1
Wipe the stick clean. Measure the oil. Hold a tissue tight against the stick and slide it down slowly. You'll see the tissue absorb the oil when it hits it.

I knew you were talking about a Toyota when I saw the thread title.

I have no suggestions, but I had the same problem on a 2010 Vibe and now a 2018 Corolla. The dipsticks are hard to read because they are light-colored and they have a slick surface. I tried roughing up the Vibe dipstick with sandpaper, but that didn't really help. I'll have to try using a flashlight.

I suppose the upside is that the engine is staying clean.

Back