I tried to prevent a Fram sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I'm sorry sir. Do you really want to do that?

Do what?

Buy that product? Have you thought it out?

Who are you?

Oil and filter police, sir. Just doing my job. You're about to commit a 409-AB3 violation. Fram buying out of ignorance. Now please step away from the Fram, sir.

Now that would make a great commercial. Picture it: This guy is about to reach for a Fram filter when this unformed "cop" slaps the cuffs on him and pulls his hand away from the filter on the shelf.

"You're under arrest for the attempted abuse of your car's engine. You have the right to remain silent..."

You could have it preceded by a Joe Friday monologue
laugh.gif

"This is the filter aisle of WallyWorld ...some call it "The Orange Wall of Doom". As long as people make the right choices, all is well. When they don't, that's when I have to do my job. ...... It's was a Tuesday evening in July, the AC was working overtime ..and so were the temptations of Orange .....

laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

young ladies with nice cleavage

I must be shopping in the wrong places, I've never seen one like this buying an oil filter.
frown.gif
laugh.gif

Me neither. The only women I see on the oil filter aisle look like Rosie O'Donnell.
coffee.gif

I wonder why companies don't try to capitalize on the cardboard end-cap fiasco by showing their filter cut open next to their filter cut open.. I'd think that would be a great ad.

Quote:

I wonder why companies don't try to capitalize on the cardboard end-cap fiasco by showing their filter cut open next to their filter cut open....

Because Joe Average Consumer neither understands oil filters, nor does he give a flip.

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder why companies don't try to capitalize on the cardboard end-cap fiasco by showing their filter cut open next to their filter cut open....

Because Joe Average Consumer neither understands oil filters, nor does he give a flip.

I'm starting to think John Q. Public is not the only one who doesn't know about filters. I mean, we know they have cardboard endcaps.....but do we know what's "wrong" with that (not being filter engineers and all)?

Everyone apparently KNOWS they're ____ and will kill your car...but don't seem to be able to articulate why (apart from reiterating..."but everyone else uses meatal...so ,you know...").

I believe Purolator used to have cut outs in Autozone stores years ago comparing Fram to Pure One...

No one would want to use a cardboard drain pain to drain their oil into because they know it will get soggy after a while. By using the same logic, I'm wondering how a cardboard end cap could possibly hold up inside an oil filter that's constantly being exposed to oil. I'm thinking if it weren't for the filter core and the outer can to give the end caps a little support, they'd surely fall apart in there.
dunno.gif

I have to agree with the Fram over hype. They are not the best deal, but there just are not that many problems with them. Everyone complains about the cardboard end caps (which are actually phenolic embeded fiber board according to Pete C.), but no one seems to care that the filter media is paper on just about every filter out there!!

Quote:

I have to agree with the Fram over hype. They are not the best deal, but there just are not that many problems with them. Everyone complains about the cardboard end caps (which are actually phenolic embeded fiber board according to Pete C.), but no one seems to care that the filter media is paper on just about every filter out there!!

For all the believers of the "cardboard end-cap fiasco" you should read this thread: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=3#Post820400 Note Pete C.'s comments on page 4.

A good sales guy at AA told me about in the 50's his store sold Fram and Puralator. The Puralator rep was in and he was told how customers don't want to pay an extra nickel for their filter. The guys grabbed some same-app Frams and Puralators off the shelf and cut them open. He said the Frams were bunk inside and went on to explain the difference to customers. Try getting that same insight from a 20-something year old AutoZoner.

Quote:

A good sales guy at AA told me about in the 50's his store sold Fram and Puralator. The Puralator rep was in and he was told how customers don't want to pay an extra nickel for their filter. The guys grabbed some same-app Frams and Puralators off the shelf and cut them open. He said the Frams were bunk inside and went on to explain the difference to customers. Try getting that same insight from a 20-something year old AutoZoner.

Is he still telling his stories about how you need to change your oil every 3000 miles and that Pennzoil causes sludge?

I would not have told him about "prone to collapsing" as I don't think that is the case. The only thing I could say is about the cardboard end caps and that Wix filters are great and if he wants a low priced filter, go with Purolator.

Looking at Fram Extra Guard, it actually has a metal screen over all the pleats, not likely to collapse. No other filter I know of has that. I thought it was determined the "cardboard" was actually a suitable material that increased surface area. In the case of the Fram TG I'm using, it has a silicone ADBV, blended media, screen-over bypass, PTFE gasket and grip material. Can anyone point me to another $5 filter that offers all that?

Quote:

Looking at Fram Extra Guard, it actually has a metal screen over all the pleats, not likely to collapse. No other filter I know of has that. I thought it was determined the "cardboard" was actually a suitable material that increased surface area. In the case of the Fram TG I'm using, it has a silicone ADBV, blended media, screen-over bypass, PTFE gasket and grip material. Can anyone point me to another $5 filter that offers all that?

The TG filters appear to be very high quality. I was checking one out tonight since I got a couple with the latest AutoZone Synpower special. You know people won't give them a chance though, because they do say Fram on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back