I took the HPL plunge....

So I decided to order the HPL premium oil in 0w-40 for my Hyundai turbo. Will probably stick with a Fram Ultra filter.

This will be 3 firsts for me:
1. First 0w oil
2. First 40 weight oil
3. First Boutique/Premium oil

The manufacturer recommends 5w-30 but also says 5W-40 can be used.

Nice. I have the 2013 2.0T but my manual doesn't say 5w40, only 5w30 and 10w30. I see you have a 2015 which means we have the same engine model. Your manual says 5w40 is ok?

Nice. I have the 2013 2.0T but my manual doesn't say 5w40, only 5w30 and 10w30. I see you have a 2015 which means we have the same engine model. Your manual says 5w40 is ok?
Your vehicle does. What is interesting is a 2013 Sonata with that engine says a 5-40 is acceptable. Odd huh?

And this:

74A5E3AD-3885-419F-83DA-8F411BE585A7.jpeg

Are you going to do UOA and stretch out the OCI with the HPL?
No. I will keep 5,000 miles changes like all my other vehicles. This is a low mileage vehicle (5-7,000 a year). It is a GDI so it has carbon build up issues, possible fuel dilution and known engines issues. So protection/wear are my main concerns.

I might do a uoa to check for fuel dilution.

Low mileage car ? lets say 7,000 miles per year so in 20 years the car will have 140,000 miles?

No. I will keep 5,000 miles changes like all my other vehicles. This is a low mileage vehicle (5-7,000 a year). It is a GDI so it has carbon build up issues, possible fuel dilution and known engines issues. So protection/wear are my main concerns.

I might do a uoa to check for fuel dilution.
The carbon buildup would best be attacked with products like redline si-1,crc ivd pea spray, and a brand name oil flush.

Yes, I plan on installing a catch can and using CRC valve spray
I think, in addition to the valve spray, a good endoscope would be in order. Before I start fixing a problem, I like to know if the problem exists, how bad it is, and how effective was the choice of remedy. I don’t like to rely on guesses or belief about the extent of problems.

Using the endoscope, I would take before photos of the valves, and after photos. Then I can assess if the problem exists, and if the choice of remedy was effective.

I think, in addition to the valve spray, a good endoscope would be in order. Before I start fixing a problem, I like to know if the problem exists, how bad it is, and how effective was the choice of remedy. I don’t like to rely on guesses or belief about the extent of problems.

Using the endoscope, I would take before photos of the valves, and after photos. Then I can assess if the problem exists, and if the choice of remedy was effective.
My understanding is with GDI engines it is always a problem. How bad of a problem is the question.
Geez, another tool I gotta get! Maybe I can use it for medical experiments too....😁

Back