I Think LSPI killed my Tucson tonight

Hyundai/Kia is well known for using substandard metallurgy in their components. It's no surprise the low quality valves failed.

They build impressive engines that mimic modern designs perfectly, but use the lowest quality metals, coatings and components. The result is questionable longevity. Some last, some do not.

Hyundai/Kia is well known for using substandard metallurgy in their components. It's no surprise the low quality valves failed.

They build impressive engines that mimic modern designs perfectly, but use the lowest quality metals, coatings and components. The result is questionable longevity. Some last, some do not.
I have heard rumor that Hyundai messed up plasma coating process on their Theta 2 aluminum blocks, which cause so many rods thrown and engine seize issues... Not sure how legit this claim is.:unsure:

Is that your opinion or has it been documented somewhere, somehow?

glad it wasnt a total loss + fixable at a reasonable cost! thanks for posting the verdict that many forget to do, good luck with your rebuilt engine! so far so good with the girlfriends 2.4 NA engined kia optima, NO oil usage between 6 month usually under 5 thou changes, DI engines surely BLACKEN the oil!!!

I remember this from a decade ago…it seems they are still doing it. At least they were 5-6 years ago as well. Machinist said he has done 12 this year of the same generation as mine…definitely not a coincidence.

You get what you pay for with Korean made stuff. HynKia vehicles are cheaper, and GDi stuff doesn't have the best track record.

Oh the days when I was a mechanic in the 90s. So many Hyundai cars with scored cylinders, soft subpar materials overall. Yet, some would be very reliable, but most didn't last.

Sorry to hear that. My cousin recently purchased on of these also with the 1.6 turbo. May he and his wife have better luck! He replaced his 2000 Accord with over 300K. I'm thinking he may not be as satisfied. Hope you get another 100K out of it!

Edit: How do has the dual clutch transmission held up?

Sorry to hear that. My cousin recently purchased on of these also with the 1.6 turbo. May he and his wife have better luck! He replaced his 2000 Accord with over 300K. I'm thinking he may not be as satisfied. Hope you get another 100K out of it!

Edit: How do has the dual clutch transmission held up?

Surprisingly the DCT has been Bulletproof. It doesn’t have the drivability of “better” dual clutches like the one from VW, but it’s been rock solid reliable. I expected to need to replace the clutches in the near future instead of the Valves…lol

I don't know why so many manufacturers continue to use substandard componentry delivered by contracted suppliers. Not that it makes a difference to the affected end user.

Thankfully, we've had great results with our seven H/K vehicles over the years. Two were traded in with over 100k miles (one Sonata 2.4 reaching 180k), and the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned, a Santa Fe Sport 2.0T was recently traded in with over 250k miles. Glad we "got what we paid for".

No fancy oils (occasionally used VWB), 87 and up to 93 octane used depending on how I felt that day. Never over 5k mile on oil changes (mostly 3k). And rarely use OEM oil filters.

Sorry to hear of the OP's experience. Hopefully it works out.

Last edited:
Surprisingly the DCT has been Bulletproof. It doesn’t have the drivability of “better” dual clutches like the one from VW, but it’s been rock solid reliable. I expected to need to replace the clutches in the near future instead of the Valves…lol
what's your mielage again? 40-50k seems to be on the money if you have a turbo engine with regards to needing clutches and usually an actuator.

Is that your opinion or has it been documented somewhere, somehow?
It has nothing to do with my opinion.

Hyundai/Kia are now quite highly rated for initial quality and repair frequency. However, as the miles and years accumulate, the number of large mechanical repairs (engine replacements) mount and the data changes markedly. 1,200,000 replacement engines out of 3.9 million engines is a non trivial number. Furthermore, it's not just one engine design or limited to particular years. 100K miles seems to be the magic number.

Hyundai/Kia are now quite highly rated for initial quality and repair frequency. However, as the miles and years accumulate, the number of large mechanical repairs (engine replacements) mount and the data changes markedly. 1,200,000 replacement engines out of 3.9 million engines is a non trivial number. Furthermore, it's not just one engine design or limited to particular years. 100K miles seems to be the magic number.
They did do alot of years just re-using mazda engine designs which in that era were pretty simple and robust. Hyundai has also done WRC so I though they would have some deep knowledge on engine design and materials? Maybe H/K had no involvement in the engines at all in WRC?
Toyota, Honda, and most of the manufacturers that have done F1 usually make sure some of that knowledge comes back to the factory, but maybe H/K missed that step.

Although we've had great success with the two brands, it is understood an issue exists. Neither we, family or friends have had to replace an engine but I have seen where they've made the process as seamless as possible for owners, while visiting the dealership and speaking with a couple Service Writers we know.

We had a 2016 Kia Soul bought from new with the 2.0 GDI engine. This car was properly maintained with the properly specked full synthetic oil. The OCI were 5500- 6000 miles (manual called for 7500 OCI). When the car reached around 50,000 mile I started to notice what I thought to be excessive oil consumption so I dropped the OCI to 4500 miles. To cover my a$$ I took it to the dealer where they performed their own oil consumption test and of course they found it to be in the normal range. At 70,000 miles the car left me on the side of the expressway sitting in a pool of oil with a new viewing window in the side of the block. In retrospect I guess I was lucky the engine let go before the 100,000 mile mark. To Hyundai / Kia credit they did honor the powertrain warranty with a reman engine. Within 2 weeks of getting the car back I liberated myself of that POS. Never Again.

Back