I really new to this!!! BUT is..????????????????..

Status
Not open for further replies.
..there any oil additives that you can add to a fairly new vehicle (1-2yrs old) that would benefit your engine.

As in not harm in any way. Or is everything I need in the oil itself. Since the additives in oil is the status quo and is good enough.

thanks
wink.gif

NO! well not really there are some good one's but....

stick with a good name brand oil and she'll out live you.

Originally Posted By: casperfun
benefit your engine.

As in not harm in any way.

Interesting definition of "benefit." I always thought a benefit was a good consequence, not a lack of bad consequences.
wink.gif

..there any oil additives that you can add to a fairly new vehicle (1-2yrs old) that would benefit your engine.

As in not harm in any way. Or is everything I need in the oil itself. Since the additives in oil is the status quo and is good enough.

thanks
wink.gif

If you believe that the oil companies have given you the very best product they possibly can and it was made to perfection, and can't be any better, then there is no need to add anything. OTOH if you feel that certain aspects can be enhanced then an additive is the way to go.

In other words it all boils down to you and how you feel about it. Additives are always a hot topic here, some guys are for it some against it. I have a small list of additives that I've benefitted from over the years, and have added them to new engines as well, as a preventative measure.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
benefit your engine.

As in not harm in any way.

Interesting definition of "benefit." I always thought a benefit was a good consequence, not a lack of bad consequences.
wink.gif

LOL +1
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have a small list of additives that I've benefitted from over the years, and have added them to new engines as well, as a preventative measure.

What were those additives, and how were you benefited (or just not harmed by) them? What did they prevent in the new engine? What is it these additives did to change the oil that justifies your feeling that you've outsmarted the engine or lubrication engineers?

Last edited:
If there was an oil additive that could help prevent/lessen fuel dilution, that would add value IMO.

BITOG member Ed Kollin has developed a product called Camguard Auto. (He also has a version of Camguard for airplanes). According to Ed, it helps prevent fuel dilution.

I have some in my wife's car now for testing, and plan to use it in my car at the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
I have a small list of additives that I've benefitted from over the years, and have added them to new engines as well, as a preventative measure.

What were those additives, and how were you benefited (or just not harmed by) them? What did they prevent in the new engine? What is it these additives did to change the oil that justifies your feeling that you've outsmarted the engine or lubrication engineers?

The search engine is your friend, I've commented enough about them over the years.

Let me know if you think the lubrication engineers have developed the very best oil possible and profit is second on their list to the highest possible quality product they can make. If they are making the very best products available why are they looking for cheaper alternatives to things like moly? Finally if every oil company made the very best product and it couldn't be made better we wouldn't have a need for Bitog PCMO section anymore. All oil would the same and the very, very best you could buy.

Lets not forget people have special needs like trying to quiet a noisy lifer before tearing into an engine to address it, or reduce oil consumption without opening their engines up. Others are trying to prevent varnish or sludge before it happens, just to name a few benefits, search and see.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo

We are all looking for that magic elixer in a bottle that gives our cars or our minds that satisfaction that our engines will last forever and we can tell our friends how smart we are and lets all keep putting our MMO in the freezer too, lol.

The search engine is your friend, I've commented enough about them over the years.

Let me know if you think the lubrication engineers have developed the very best oil possible and profit is second on their list to the highest possible quality product they can make. If they are making the very best products available why are they looking for cheaper alternatives to things like moly? Finally if every oil company made the very best product and it couldn't be made better we wouldn't have a need for Bitog PCMO section anymore. All oil would the same and the very, very best you could buy.

Lets not forget people have special needs like trying to quiet a noisy lifer before tearing into an engine to address it, or reduce oil consumption without opening their engines up. Others are trying to prevent varnish or sludge before it happens, just to name a few benefits, search and see.

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
If there was an oil additive that could help prevent/lessen fuel dilution, that would add value IMO.

BITOG member Ed Kollin has developed a product called Camguard Auto. (He also has a version of Camguard for airplanes). According to Ed, it helps prevent fuel dilution.

I have some in my wife's car now for testing, and plan to use it in my car at the next oil change.

Camguard Automotive does not prevent fuel dilution but it prevents the harmful effects of it in a comprehensive manner. It has supplimental, non phosphorus, anti-wear that affects the ZDDP phosphate glass antiwear film. It makes the film dramatically more effective and persistant so it is more effective in the presence of fuel contamination. This along with select antioxidants, to prevent blow-by fuel oxidation, greatly reduce ZDDP consumption.

Ed

I guess there's another person that feels additives have their place and value, and maybe oil just isn't perfect.

thanks
wink.gif

I added Lubro Moly MOS2 to my new truck after the first oil change ~4000 miles. I don't know if it helped, but I don't think it hurt.

I know you're a big fan of additives, but I think we all know how well the search feature works. I don't have a week to figure this out. Maybe a comprehensive "these additives solved and/or prevented these problems at this cost" thread would help put these questions to rest?

How's this off the top of my head real fast.

MMO freed up an gas float in an old Ford I bought many years ago. The owner told me when I bought the car the gas gauge didn't work, and hadn't worked for years. A few tanks of gas with MMO freed it up and it worked until I sold the car.

Stopped lifter noises for friends more times than I can count at the moment. Freed up a stuck ring in a 250I I-6 Chevy boat engine as confirmed by compression testing. Cleared up varnish and sludge that I was able to see. Sorry no digital cameras in those days. As far as cost my mechanic is charging $100/hr, so you'd have to calculate time and materials to replace lifters, in the above example or taking an engine apart to replace a stuck ring, or remove sludge and varnish. I think at less than $4 a qt MMO is a deal!

MoS2, eliminated start up smoke in a Briggs Powered mower, now closing out the second lawn cutting season with it. It also reduced oil use in my 93 Aerostar.

MMO keeps engines clean, especially new ones by preventing garbage formation. Dosing, depends on how the car is driven and how many miles a year are logged. I'd think a pint added for the last 1000 miles of an OCI would probably do the trick once a year for the average driver.

YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, DON'T USE IT, it really doesn't matter, but if you haven't tried it don't knock it either. Here's another thought prove to me it didn't work as I've stated so many times before! Good luck! I've been using MMO since the 1970's.

For more info check with these guys: c3po and Sypder7, there are dozens more but you'll have to do some searching, sorry.

Originally Posted By: Edward Kollin
Originally Posted By: CougarRed

Camguard Automotive does not prevent fuel dilution but it prevents the harmful effects of it in a comprehensive manner. It has supplimental, non phosphorus, anti-wear that affects the ZDDP phosphate glass antiwear film. It makes the film dramatically more effective and persistant so it is more effective in the presence of fuel contamination. This along with select antioxidants, to prevent blow-by fuel oxidation, greatly reduce ZDDP consumption.

Ed

Thanks for the clarification, Ed. Sorry for misquoting you originally.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1951194&page=1

I think my Valvetrain Pics prove that I have gotten good advice from 2 members here.

Johnny turned me onto Pennzoil Platinum at 360K and Demarpaint turned me onto MMO at 367,000 miles.

I am now at 390,000 miles and my engine is running great. I am running MMO at each OCI as well as using it in the fuel, did I want to use it, NO, but driveability problems arose, and now I have no problems whatsoever.

A CLEAN ENGINE IS A HEALTHY ENGINE.

It's easier to prevent problems than trying to correct problems. JMO

I used PP 5W30 (bought on sale for $19.88 per 5 quart jug, Cdn) with 20 ounces (added at two intervals) of MMO plus mos2 (for most of the OCI).

The cost of the additives and the oil was less than the price of a synthetic at regular price such as Mobil 1 or Edge (both mostly Group III; Edge may be better refined as it seems to turn out good UOAs while having a comparatively modest add pack).

What I hoped to accomplish: fortify the PP, which has loads of calcium but almost 0 moly, with mos2; and with the MMO and calcium of PP acting synergistically (the light mineral solvent in MMO breaking down accumulsted engine sludge, from a clogged PCV valve, for the Ca in PP to more easily disperse).

I liked the after results. I like the new PYB too as it has a beefier calcium add pack than the SM did, and likely more GP-III stock to meet the GF-5 spechk; it also has a lot more moly than PP did.

This was a car bought in May that was mechanically sound but benefited from a PEA cleaner (Regane) and what to me the abovie is just the indicated maintenance. Nothing for a mechanic to fix.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back