Permatex Ultra Slick for full OCI

Permatex Ultra Slick Item#81950
1000021356.jpg
1000021355.jpg

Used this stuff while reassembling the engines, as intended. Also to lube some things here and there, like ratchet mechanism for example, or door hinges, etc. Heard of some using it as gun lube.
But today met an old timer who keeps a bottle of it specifically to add into the engine at every oil change. He takes it to an Indy for an oil change, and adds this bottle on same day to new oil.
Obviously IT IS meant for engine internals. But, aside from the cost, are there any downsides to running it long term like he does? When used during rebuilds - it's usually on a short break-in OCI anyways. But here it's in the engine for a full 5K OCI, and that guy gets an oil change 2-3 times per year.
He said he's been doing it since new, car is close to 150k, no known issues yet. So is it safe to say it helped the oil or the engine in any way? Or provided no benefits and just contaminated the state of the art cheapest motor oil from a drum?
The old timer likely won't change his mind even if I give him reasons not to use it in the engine, because there are no precautions on the bottle against constant long-term use. But it still "grinds my gears" as to what's in it and what are the potential/theoretical PROs/CONs of using that assembly lube the way he does.

And guess what he'd have the same result if he stopped using it. Tons and tons of places use grease or normal motor oil as assembly lube for rebuilds and the engine is fine. No engine will blow after being without oil pressure for a few seconds if it has either of the two instead of this $10 a 4oz bottle of snake oil. And there's even less of a reason to use this during intervals. But that man can do whatever he wants with his wallet. Man I should really make my own snake oil brand, I'd get rich.

Permatex Ultra Slick Item#81950
View attachment 220566View attachment 220567
Used this stuff while reassembling the engines, as intended. Also to lube some things here and there, like ratchet mechanism for example, or door hinges, etc. Heard of some using it as gun lube.
But today met an old timer who keeps a bottle of it specifically to add into the engine at every oil change. He takes it to an Indy for an oil change, and adds this bottle on same day to new oil.
Obviously IT IS meant for engine internals. But, aside from the cost, are there any downsides to running it long term like he does? When used during rebuilds - it's usually on a short break-in OCI anyways. But here it's in the engine for a full 5K OCI, and that guy gets an oil change 2-3 times per year.
He said he's been doing it since new, car is close to 150k, no known issues yet. So is it safe to say it helped the oil or the engine in any way? Or provided no benefits and just contaminated the state of the art cheapest motor oil from a drum?
The old timer likely won't change his mind even if I give him reasons not to use it in the engine, because there are no precautions on the bottle against constant long-term use. But it still "grinds my gears" as to what's in it and what are the potential/theoretical PROs/CONs of using that assembly lube the way he does.
this stuff can possibly plug up an oil filter.

The assembly lube is designed to cling to the bearings and other parts to protect them until the oil is pressurized through the engine. It's meant to protect from a dry startup in a rebuilt engine. I don't see the advantage in adding it to oil.

When his bottle goes empty find him an old bottle of Castrol Magnatec to refill it ...
The cling be the thing..word!!
Much cheaper too
But! It's not red! He'll catch on that it's a different cling in that bottle... Unless cling's intelligent molecules can pul a trick or two on the guy's eyes.
this stuff can possibly plug up an oil filter.
That's interesting, never heard of that... Able to expand a bit on that?

The assembly lube is designed to cling to the bearings and other parts to protect them until the oil is pressurized through the engine. It's meant to protect from a dry startup in a rebuilt engine. I don't see the advantage in adding it to oil.
I wonder if it helps by some form of friction modification, or if its Ultra Slick properties evaporate once oil gets up to full temp.

It would be interesting to see an VOA of this stuff. Personally, if I take an internal engine component off, I use Red Line or Sta-Lube assembly lube which has a healthy amount of ZDDP, moly and stays on those parts until washed away by the lube oil.

Back