I really hate people on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the same experience too but realize the cost of entry is a filter on all things in life nearly.

Free means no filter and it takes no real guts to write a text or email to respond to an CL ad with whatever you feel like. Much harder on phone with personal connection responding to a newspaper ad and low balling a person.

Just press the delete key and be done with it. If you let something like that get under your skin then you've let them win.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Your asking $700 more than KBB, what do you expect? You can't expect to recoup a percentage of past repairs when selling a used vehicle.

You just don't recoup money spent on repairs even major things like a engine or transmission rebuild. People expect the vehicle to be in good condition with everything working.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Your asking $700 more than KBB, what do you expect? You can't expect to recoup a percentage of past repairs when selling a used vehicle.

This. You cant expect to recoup the money you spent on repairs,maintenance,etc. A well maintained car is to be expected. If the car you're selling books for $4000 mint,the transmission went out,and you spent $2000 for a new transmission,your car is not worth $6000,it's still worth $4000. If you were selling a mint car with a dead transmission,it'd be worth $2000.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's hard to get above average price for an above average car. Better to pass the creampuff on to a friend or relative for a fair price.

Also, buyers seem to think a car that just got a $2000 transmission is a magnet prone to attracting $2000 bills. They'd rather hear that you just changed the oil and kept the rust off.

It's worth more if you never mention it has had work done. I for one don't take a second look at adds where a vehicle has had tons of major work done.

I prefer the car that is bone stock and hasn't needed a new transmission, a "fresh paint job" or a rebuilt engine. All that stuff screams "I was repaired by a backyard mechanic to flip"

IMO any modern car with under 200k miles shouldn't have needed any major (engine, Trans) work as long as it was maintained and cared for. There are exceptions depending on the model of course.

Last edited:
Craigslist contains more scum than a septic tank. Realize this and allow for it. I used to rent low income rentals in a down section of my town. A 30 year old man looked at the place, said he liked it, and setup a meet to sign the lease and pay the first months rent and security deposit. On the appointed day, this 30 year old man shows up with HIS MOTHER and about six young women. Mom and the six girls pronounced the place a slum and unfit for human habitation and demanded that I repaint the place. I had just repainted the place. My blood pressure probably hit 300 over 225 and I asked them to leave. Looking back, I made a mistake by allowing loser scum to potentially ruin my health. Looking back 15 years later, I just laugh at my ghetto landlord experience. I could write a book about those experiences :) Take it easy.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
repairs generally do not increase the value of a car, it just makes it par.

01.gif

taking care of a car is what you're supposed to do; you don't get extra for that.

Also, many cars priced above book value actually get flagged off.

The only time it's ok to charge more than book value is with the really cheap cars like under $3000, where price is more determined by condition than the year/make/model and mileage.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Okay, enough already guys. I knew I shouldn't have posted about it. I knew the BITOG elite would come out in force if I did to lecture me.

How about we just wait and see who is right. If I can't sell it for what I want and have to sell low like you all think I will own it. But, if I do sell it for my price you have to admit you were wrong. I will post when it sells. Until then I am out...

Peace.
19.gif

I think part of the reaction you're getting is because you're complaining about a trivial and entirely predictable thing.

If you're going to price something at the higher end of a price range, you will likely wait longer to sell it and consequently put up with more time wasters.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to sell something for top dollar, but complaining about the consequences of that is a bit rich.

I sold my 1999 Ford Ranger on Craigslist a year and a half ago. Just the other day I get a voice mail from the guy that bought it. He was asking when the last time that I changed the spark plug wires. REALLY!? He wanted me to call him back Ha ha Ha.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I sold my 1999 Ford Ranger on Craigslist a year and a half ago. Just the other day I get a voice mail from the guy that bought it. He was asking when the last time that I changed the spark plug wires. REALLY!? He wanted me to call him back Ha ha Ha.

I think being a Bitog-er, that is a reasonable question to answer????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet

A year and a half later? No!

CL is hit or miss. The ones that crack me up are the ones that feel they have you over a barrel either over the phone or via text. Nope. I know what I have. I know it's worth. I know others are/ will be interested. Good day.

I'm in the market for a small beater Honda or Toyota. I looked at a Civic on CL a few months ago that turned out to be a waste of time. I literally told the guy I was very disappointed because there was no mention of this in the ad.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

A year and a half later? No!

A simple question like this is reasonable. Now if he wanted a refund, that is another story.

The guy my brother bought his truck from did the same thing. He said don't hesitate to call him if he ever has questions. This was actually about 1.5 years later for me too, but last summer I ran into him at our local "Germanfest."

Sell elsewhere, if you aren't happy. Convenience comes with a price sometimes.

Just as the title says I detest people on craigslist. Well, to be more accurate, the low life buyers. Never really had an issue with any sellers there. And I know there are a lot of good people who buy on CL but it just seems like the losers and scum have grown exponentially in the last year or so.

I have a car up for sale there I just listed. My asking price is $700 more( and best offer added )than KBB/Nada for the condition of the model with the mileage and options it has. However, this vehicle has had a ton of recent and very expensive work including a trans rebuild which I clearly noted. The book values don't take into account things like rebuilt drivetrains, new tires, etc... My price is not unreasonable when you add in the work done and that the price is OBO so clearly I don't expect to get that figure( you have to start high to get what you hope for ).

Anyway, I just listed it last night and was surprised to see a response in my email so soon this afternoon. Should have know it was an [censored]. This is the message...

Congratualtions. You just won the most overpriced car on craigslist award.

Not only are there the exact same year and model vehicles, with more mileage than mine without all the bonus work I have done, listed but is a message like that really called for? I mean get a life. If he thinks it is too high then just move on. Why send something like that if not purposely to be a jerk. It is stuff like that which makes me hate the place.

Just venting. Sorry guys. Been a bad day and then this loser sends that. Makes me want to track him down and
09.gif

CL definitely hit or miss and once something we're trying to unload gets to a cheap enough price, its basically time to donate instead of waste our time.

I was impressed that the OP got his asking price on the laptop - that's good salesmanship!

I actually sold my '05 Vue for cash, on CL, two hours after posting! I just timed it very well, as someone needed to buy a car for their son that day and saw my ad (on their phone) while at a used car dealership. Test drive, then sold. I was never expecting it to go that well. Sometimes you get lucky.
(sold for $2500, listed for $2850, if it sat, I was willing to go down to $1800 to get rid of it)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
CL is hit or miss. The ones that crack me up are the ones that feel they have you over a barrel either over the phone or via text. Nope. I know what I have. I know it's worth. I know others are/ will be interested. Good day.

I'm in the market for a small beater Honda or Toyota. I looked at a Civic on CL a few months ago that turned out to be a waste of time. I literally told the guy I was very disappointed because there was no mention of this in the ad.

Always found it odd, person would list say rust but not actually show a pic of the rust. I guess they prefer people to go out and waste their time looking at it, only to have it as a no go?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The only time it's ok to charge more than book value is with the really cheap cars like under $3000, where price is more determined by condition than the year/make/model and mileage.

Hey, someone with a clue. This is the case here AS I HAVE SAID already. The sale price will be under that figure. People are ASSUMING this is some expensive newer used car I think despite me pointing out it is older with a lot of miles. No one seems to pay attention to details. They just want to lecture and act superior. I should be accustomed to it though having been here so long. Just like all the [censored] you have to deal with and wade through when selling on CL, as so many have pointed out, around here you have to deal with those who know everything about everything and know it better than you do. Classic BITOG for the last few years.

I know I said I was out( and I am...seriously...why doesn't anyone believe me...
crackmeup2.gif
)but your response FINALLY hit the nail on the head with the situation so I jumped back in briefly to again mention this important detail. Now I will go back to reading about how stupid I am, how thin skinned I am, etc... and laugh at how dang superior so many think they are. If my characterization of some here at BITOG offends please note that despite me being right about the laptop I was selling here and what I would get for it some who are familiar with that thread STILL have to post negative and like I was wrong. I find that very telling.

Before I leave again though a few reminders...

It's a high mileage older car. CL is the perfect place to sell it actually. It is extremely cheap even with the small over book price. Ideally this would be perfect for a 1st time buyer or someone who is financially strapped. Good dependable transport for cheap money that has not only been maintained but has had major repairs that deal with known issues for the vehicle.

The trans rebuild alone was almost what I am asking for the vehicle itself.

I am not trying to recoup money already spent. Never said I was...I will also point out that the asking price is OBO so I have left it open to selling it for a bit less.

Seems to me I have been pretty clear this is an older high mileage car not being sold for a lot. Also, people are assuming all the work I mention was done very recently which is not the case. I said some of it was. Not all. I didn't do a whole bunch of recent work just to flip it for next to nothing. That makes no sense as I would lose thousands upon thousands. It is work I had to do while I was driving it. I haven't put many miles on while owning it though so the work is like new even if a couple years old. I am selling the vehicle now so the work done, IMO, adds value for the reasons I have explained ad nauseam. I am merely explaining to the potential buyer that these major things have been fixed in the near past so they are not something to be concerned might happen to them. It does add value.

People here are just too funny to me
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back