I really hate people on craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Like I said, it was a bad day here anyway so it sort of hit at the wrong time.

I'd be mad too if I wasted my hard earned money on royal purple snake oil.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's hard to get above average price for an above average car. Better to pass the creampuff on to a friend or relative for a fair price.

Also, buyers seem to think a car that just got a $2000 transmission is a magnet prone to attracting $2000 bills. They'd rather hear that you just changed the oil and kept the rust off.

In this case the trans failure is a common thing for the vehicle. So, the fact I footed the bill to fix it and they won't have to, IMO, makes it less of a risk than the same vehicle that is running it's original high mileage trans that is a ticking time bomb. Why should my car with the rebuilt trans be worth the same as the one without? Just defies logic.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
repairs generally do not increase the value of a car, it just makes it par.

I disagree when you are talking vehicles with 125K+ like this. On vehicles like that book value assumes the vehicles are running with 125K+ drivetrains. IF repairs have been done, like rebuilding the motor or trans, that most definitely ads value.

The insurance companies and registries would disagree with you and others that use book value as a guide. If someone bought your car and totaled it the next day, they would only get retail book value. If the work was done less than a year ago, you might get them to pay a little more, otherwise if it's over a year, then it's just part of maintenance and the value of a running car. Ask me how I know, had a car totaled and couldn't get anything extra from the insurance company even though the engine had been replaced a couple years ago. So I'd never pay more than retail. Actually most of the time I pay around trade in or a just a little above, typically between clean trade in and retail. With retail, you typically get a warranty and some reconditioning that you won't get with a private party.

Well now that you've explained the details, I would say it's your fault for selling the vehicle on Craigslist!

Why do you expect the car buyer in that price range to have an enthusiast level of knowledge?

You should be selling it in a forum where more knowledgeable buyers would realize what they are getting and pay accordingly.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
How can you "hate the place (CL)" because of one person you disagree with?

Actually it isn't because of this one person. I posted out of frustration with this one person and what he sent me certainly but it is about the place in general lately. I mentioned how the class of people I deal with through CL has gone downhill over the past year. That sort of implies it isn't this one incident alone for those with some reading comprehension.
grin2.gif

Let me refresh your memory...

Just as the title says I detest people on craigslist. Well, to be more accurate, the low life buyers. Never really had an issue with any sellers there. And I know there are a lot of good people who buy on CL but it just seems like the losers and scum have grown exponentially in the last year or so.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The work done adds no value to vehicle it just keeps it at asking.

Completely disagree.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
repairs generally do not increase the value of a car, it just makes it par.

I disagree when you are talking vehicles with 125K+ like this. On vehicles like that book value assumes the vehicles are running with 125K+ drivetrains. IF repairs have been done, like rebuilding the motor or trans, that most definitely ads value.

The insurance companies and registries would disagree with you and others that use book value as a guide. If someone bought your car and totaled it the next day, they would only get retail book value. If the work was done less than a year ago, you might get them to pay a little more, otherwise if it's over a year, then it's just part of maintenance and the value of a running car. Ask me how I know, had a car totaled and couldn't get anything extra from the insurance company even though the engine had been replaced a couple years ago. So I'd never pay more than retail. Actually most of the time I pay around trade in or a just a little above, typically between clean trade in and retail. With retail, you typically get a warranty and some reconditioning that you won't get with a private party.

This has nothing to do with a total. brand enw cars are worth more than you get in a total.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The work done adds no value to vehicle it just keeps it at asking.

Completely disagree.

Just let us know how it goes in sale. Best of luck.

Things that have to be done to keep a car on the road don't really add value, which is the reason that none of the pricing guides list these things as adding to a vehicle's selling price.
If a car needs tires, putting cheapies on it doesn't make it worth more. Same with brakes.
Similarly, if a car needs a tranny, having the work done merely brings it up to average value.
As a buyer, I also have no way of knowing the quality of the work you had done so I can't offer you much of a premium for it.
The guy who emailed you may have been trying to help you in that he was telling you that your asking price was out of line.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Well now that you've explained the details, I would say it's your fault for selling the vehicle on Craigslist!

Why do you expect the car buyer in that price range to have an enthusiast level of knowledge?

You should be selling it in a forum where more knowledgeable buyers would realize what they are getting and pay accordingly.

It's a high mileage older car. CL is the perfect place to sell it actually. It is extremely cheap even with the small over book price. Ideally this would be perfect for a 1st time buyer or someone who is financially strapped. Good dependable transport for cheap money that has not only been maintained but has had major repairs that deal with known issues for the vehicle.

This thread is EXACTLY why I wouldn't try and sell it on a place like BITOG or car forum. BITOG especially is full of the cheapest people I have ever come across. Many people on here would try and low ball their own broke Grandmother, even if it meant she then couldn't buy her med's, all to save a buck.
banana2.gif

This thread is starting to remind me of my classified ad here for a NIB laptop I had a while ago. I put it FS at a very reasonable price compared to new retail for it and then had nothing but ridiculous low offers from people here. When I turned them down I was lectured on how I was clueless about what it was worth and I would never get anything close to my asking price. Turns out I sold it fairly quick for exactly what I was asking. The buyer is very happy and I got a fair price for it. The car will be no different. I just have to wait out the low ballers until someone who appreciates the great deal I am offering shows up. I will get the $$$ I want for it and they will get a good car. Both sides will win.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Things that have to be done to keep a car on the road don't really add value, which is the reason that none of the pricing guides list these things as adding to a vehicle's selling price.
If a car needs tires, putting cheapies on it doesn't make it worth more. Same with brakes.
Similarly, if a car needs a tranny, having the work done merely brings it up to average value.
As a buyer, I also have no way of knowing the quality of the work you had done so I can't offer you much of a premium for it.
The guy who emailed you may have been trying to help you in that he was telling you that your asking price was out of line.

Again, I completely disagree. If car A w/ 125K and the original untouched trans( in a model KNOWN to have trans failures by 100K-150K )is worth $$$ then car B that is exactly the same and with the same mileage, but with a professionally rebuilt trans that eliminates that concern, is easily worth $$$$. Full maintenance log with receipts for work provided proving the work was done as well and none of it was done "cheap".

Last edited:
Free market and all. For all you know, dude has a few email addresses, and is hoping to soften you up, so that when you don't sell after a few days, they can lowball you. Or maybe they just get their kicks off insults, some people are like that.

Just ignore 'em.

But CL is kinda like that. Costs nothing to send emails or texts, CL is free and easy, so it's going to attract that kind of people.

Okay, enough already guys. I knew I shouldn't have posted about it. I knew the BITOG elite would come out in force if I did to lecture me.

How about we just wait and see who is right. If I can't sell it for what I want and have to sell low like you all think I will own it. But, if I do sell it for my price you have to admit you were wrong. I will post when it sells. Until then I am out...

Peace.
19.gif

Not to be a jerk about it, but you need to throttle it down a bit and grow a thicker skin. Getting angry over trivia is the ticket to a heart attack sometime later in life. Take a deep breath, KNOW that you will be deleting messages and do just that ... delete it. Try to smile while you do it; you'll feel better.

As for the price, I say list it for what you want to sell it for, and don't sweat it if someone disagrees, especially if that someone is not waving a check in front of you for some reasonable (as in an amount you would accept) offer.

When I sell something via Kijiji (Craigslist is available in Canada but nobody here except hookers and puppy mills use it) I expect lowball offers, and maybe even insulting or troll messages.

Just about every eMail application has some mechanism whereby you can create "rules" or scripts to deal with messages. I have one that deletes the message instantly, not even stopping to spend a week in the trash. I do not reply to the message, and I add the sender's eMail address to my rule, so that I am never bothered by this person again, not just now, but for all time. After the first message, I never even see another from that address. Works very well.

For the average used car sale, you're always going to get some whackos no matter which method of advertising you use. Nature of the beast. OTOH, I've sold lots of general merchandise on CL and it was all pretty darn pleasant and very easy.

Okay, enough already guys. I knew I shouldn't have posted about it. I knew the BITOG elite would come out in force if I did to lecture me.

How about we just wait and see who is right. If I can't sell it for what I want and have to sell low like you all think I will own it. But, if I do sell it for my price you have to admit you were wrong. I will post when it sells. Until then I am out...

Peace.
19.gif

Six Thousand Three hundred posts on a forum and you think you know more then others? OK. Please do keep us informed on your sale, if you manage to sell it above par you are in the 5%.

Peace.
19.gif

Send me a link to the ad. I want to send an economical offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back