I rarely change my oil

I think that was the first I'd seen. The second was on my psycho ex's 2004 Impala... hers was not quite leaking yet but very close. Funny thing is the 3800 ran great on hers and the rad started falling out because the rad cradle was so rusted out.
Interesting about the Impala rust problems. My brother had a 2002 or 2003 Impala ex-cop car, which had the same body as the 2004 and 2005, and his rusted badly around the front suspension attachment points. He eventually had to retire it. He lived in Pennsylvania, where salt was used early and often in winter.

Interesting about the Impala rust problems. My brother had a 2002 or 2003 Impala ex-cop car, which had the same body as the 2004 and 2005, and his rusted badly around the front suspension attachment points. He eventually had to retire it. He lived in Pennsylvania, where salt was used early and often in winter.
We have a 2002..... The rust really got to the brake lines; there was noting salvageable between the firewall and rear axle. I eventually replaced both rear lines with NiCop brake lines.

I probably should do the gas lines next, but at least with those, if they start to leak, I'll small it first.

Any rust elsewhere I just try not to think about. It gives the car character!

We have a 2002..... The rust really got to the brake lines; there was noting salvageable between the firewall and rear axle. I eventually replaced both rear lines with NiCop brake lines.

I probably should do the gas lines next, but at least with those, if they start to leak, I'll small it first.

Any rust elsewhere I just try not to think about. It gives the car character!
Is Nicop the green coated type? I used those once, unfortunately on a car that was a parts car I just drove for one winter before parting it out.
The impala's are great cars if they've been undercoated every year. The first one I drove as the new guy at the taxi company was an 01 with probably 800,000kms or more. The instrument cluster was changed so I didn't know the exact mileage.
I worked at the garage across the road as my full time job (just drove taxi at night) so I was able to see a few years of repair history on that car.

I am a porsche fan. Owned several. Thinking of buying a used 996 or 997 911.. if the price is ok. I often see cars with 85 k miles and rebuilt engines. The porsche 911 engine rebuild costs about 15 - 20 thousand dollars.
Porsche has the stupid 10 k mile oil change intervals. So while you saved 1200 dollars / 8 150 dollar oil changes you may have helped destroy a 15 to 20 thousand dollar engine. No thanks

Changing oil is dirt cheap. Even changing oil twice a year and filter once a year does a lot to keep an engine running. So people saying dont bother with oil changes are just saying they have money to keep buying cheap crappy cars. Is that what you want to drive ?? Because I dont.
I have bought used cars across the country.. if i dont have a reciept i will always stop at a place.. real mechanic better than quickie place.. and have the oil changed. Dont care what kind as long as the weight is ok. But thats me

Back